STS Check In DISC 3...LEGS

I have so far done week 1 and 2 of legs. But now week 3 is here and I have taken a rest week due to work constraints and a stomach bug. Starting Sunday I am back to it though. ;)

But I just wanted to say if you listen to Cathe in the warmup she gets very excited about the the "torture" she is about to give all of us. :p

Jenn

i did disc 8 today and disc 9 yesterday. TOUGH STUFF for sure. and i was wondering if cathe ever sleeps too. how does she do it???

do you ever sleep, cathe?? i don't know how you do it. and you have 2 young kiddos , don't ya?

however, i am having a bit of back pain, not just doms, but pain. gonna kinda take it easy this weekend and wait til the end of the week to do the legs next week.
anyway, wonder what cathe thinks of disc 3.
cathy

I love all the bonus leg exercises after the formal leg workouts. You could put together a really fun workout just with a bunch of these leg bonuses!

Question for Cathe: Do you find yourself using more, less, or the same weights now as a "viewer" than when you were filming? (we know that lots of filming sometimes prevented using full 1RM %'s, but that you were also in tip-top shape at that time)

Hi Cathe and gang!

I did STS Meso 1 Disc 3 today. Wow! that felt great. I only wish there was some inner and outer thigh floor work, no worries though I can just do some of those inner/outer leg lifts with my ankle wts and body bar afterwards. Okay, I did Interval run/jogging on TM I did 1.75 miles in twenty minutes so my legs would be good and warmed up for STS today, which they definitely were. I had trouble with the One Leg Touch Down Squats first off the bat. I was concerned if it starts off like this for me I'm almost afraid of how the rest of it goes. It went fine, no worries. My legs have always been stronger as compared to my upper body strength which needs to catch up a bit. MS does give me some balance challenges but I didn't skip this part I just did my best knowing it will get easier the more I do it. The only other part that was tough for me was the One Leg Slide back lunges w/paper plates and the Wall squats while holding weights. Again, this wasn't a lack of strength issue but a balance one. But I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, it just means these are areas I need to work on to improve and thats the purpose of working out for me to improve my current physical fitness level if not obliterate it and press on to the next level. I'm determined to get better not be bitter. After all life is a marathon, not a sprint in that whats really important that one participates and perseveres to finish your goal. Ok, so I'm not just determined, but stubborn too!:p
Then finally just to finish with a nice burn with STS AB Circuits Medicine ball abs, awesome stuff.

Cathe, so far STS is Awesome and I love it. I'm excited to see the results at the end of the 3 1/2 month rotation. STS is fun, challenging, and seems to fly by so far, I love that! This is a huge winner of a workout hit Cathe, well done to you and everyone that worked on it. Thanks again for another awesome workout! Bravo!!!!:D

Hugs!

Nora

Hello Cathe & fellow STSers!

Disc 3 is done. Week 1 is done (actually, I'm doing a segment of Stretch Max on Sunday, so weighted work and cardio are done). I feel empowered!!

I honest to goodness didn't think I'd make it through the leg workout when I previewed it. Cathe, your endurance leg workouts always get the best of me. Heck, GS Legs is a challenge every single time I do it. Anyway, I restarted the DVD and went for it. At the 30 minute mark I did take an extra minute by pausing the DVD and I stretched. My left knee felt a little funny from doing cardio yesterday. I loved the leg drill bonus!! My paper plate fell of on the 4 rep in the last set of 8 on the last leg that had to be done. I was bummed. Oh, also, the paper plate work--that is so unique! I had a ball with the workout. Oh and I was thankful for the deadlifts as it gave me a chance to get my heart rate in check. I wonder if you did those on purpose so we could all catch our breath. ;)

My legs are sore. It's the first workout from this week that I've felt something immediately afterwards. It was wonderful!

LOL, you know what gets me through the workouts? Knowing that I don't have to do that specific DVD again unless I repeat the program! :D

--Tara

Disc 3...the picnic is over

Well I'm sure you all now agree that paper plates are no longer just for picnics :eek:

Yowsa, the leg workout was definitely the hardest of the first three. But that doesn't surprise me because I usually always push harder on leg workouts.

Well this workout sure didn't waste any time getting right to the point with those walking lunges, now did it? But it did get the job done and make those muscles nice and hot.

The one leg touch down squats were much harder than they appeared. I had terrible balance :eek:, perhaps from looking to the screen instead of finding a spot on the floor to focus on.

Next came the FIREWALKERS ....when on earth were we going to s-t-o-p ???? I was SO spent and kept wondering how I survived all those laps on film day because I know we had to redo that part that day? I cracked up out loud when I saw how small Cedie's steps were and shouted out "smart girl" :D

So now the program starts with weights...

One Leg Elevated Lunges just NEVER EVER seem to get easier. But they were just the warm up compared to the PAPER PLATES!!!

How did you like the slide back lunges and the side slide lunges with those paper plates? I actually filmed a segment on Cathe TV STS Check In after my workout and mentioned modifications for these. While I know these are probably a few of the hardest exercises in the whole leg program, I have to confess that since filming STS, I have been doing these paper plate exercises in my Wednesday morning lower body blast class so I didn't get as fatigued doing them today as I did the first time I ever did them (which I kid you not was five days of DOMS). But I will still most likely get sore tomorrow because of a few new exercises I haven't done in a while plus todays plate exercises required me to hold a much heavier weight than what I hold in my class.

How about the wall squats with the leg extension? Lifting that leg creates quite a balance challenge doesn't it? Wall squats in general feel hard. All versions are just plain evil, and there is no convincing me otherwise :p

I personally love the front lunge into the leg extention because it gets a nice quad contraction as well as adding a cardio boost to the exercise.

As for the bonus leg workout at the end, I was hurtin' on those leg pulses balancing the plate. I honestly haven't done those since we filmed that workout and my goodness now I know why :eek:. That was insanely hard for me. The last rep could not come soon enough for me.

Overall, this workout flew by for me. I forgot how much intensity and variety we packed into this 53 minute workout. I enjoyed revisiting this workout and remembering the faces of the cast, especially the looks on the guys faces. At the end of our filming day, Stuart said "Cathe, I will NEVER look at a paper plate the same way again". LOL

The plate work is what gives this workout its "DOMS kick". By going down to this deeper level and then fighting your way back to the top from such a deeply stretched stance you are presenting your muscles with the ultimate challenge at their most exposed point in the movement. This is what makes the exercise very advanced. As I mentioned above, check out modifications on Cathe TV STS Check In (we posted a link in our other thread) if you are desiring a modification.

Well, it is getting late on this Friday night. I will still be zipping around the forums and checking out this thread but wanted to give you a formal goodnight before I signed off.

Nighty Night and don't let the DOMS bug bite....too late for that :p

It's been 2 weeks since I have done disc 3, but the memory still lingers, probably because disc 9 is just as tough - especially the bonus. I did the tip about using the step to set the dumbbells on for the wall squats and it worked out well, I was able to use 15 lbs versus dropping to 12.

Using plates or gliders has taken leg workouts to an whole another level and I am loving it. Just one question, Cathe why are you trying to kill us with kickboxing the day before legs?

Hello to Cathe and my fellow STSers. I completed disc 3 a few hours ago. I immediately sent a text message to my co-worker who will be doing it on Monday morning. It said "I have three words for you - O.M.G.!!!" I found this to be a very tough workout. I could not do even one full-range paper plate exercise. I eventually used no weights and did the best I could. I didn't eek out nearly as many reps as "TV Cathe." I could get down easy enough. It was getting back up that was next to impossible:eek:.

I did find one strange thing from this workout. I really like firewalkers:eek:. I have to figure out a modification for the paper plate moves because I really want to get them.

Oh boy...the wall squats. Ummm...no! I did try it with a medium weight. I quickly gave up that idea and went to 8's...then none! I did like them until I had a big spider crawl in front of me :eek:(I work out in my basement).

I am looking forward to next week. Good night all!

Carrie

Haha

Share your "pain" here. Just kidding of course.

Yes, pain would be the word I use to describe my current state. What a challenge!

I had wanted to go through the whole workout without extended breaks, alas, that was not meant to be. I had to take a few extended breaks. My heart was racing like crazy. I felt great afterward, but I am not sure I will be able to walk tomorrow. Thankfully, I have a rest day scheduled for tomorrow. I also have a flight to Boston and I am hoping to be able to manuever!

I think the hardest part for me was the back lunges on paper plates. I had to do the sliding side lunges with no weight. I used a step to elevate the weights for the 2nd round of wall sits with ball. That helped a lot!

Leg bonus!!! AHHHH!!! Ok, I got the first set of leg adductions done fine, but my left leg could not hang! I had to take mini breaks. Then, for the round with the leg bent (uh, forget the paper plate, my leg was going nowhere near that high), I had to do 8 and then switch legs. I had to alternate!!! Ugh! My goal is to do it all the way though. I have never been so happy to do the tibialis exercises with the ball - you get to SIT ON A CHAIR!!!

It was tough. It was rough. It was a challenge. But I survived and I loved every minute. My legs are going to be awesome after workouts like this!

P. S.

I take these workouts with me to the gym.

I have to walk up 2 flights of stairs to exit the gym. Just though I would mention that.

It was like a super bonus at the end of this workout. There is an elevator, but I proudly hobbled up the stairs anyway.

Um, I did disk 3 at 3:30am this morning and my poor legs just shook for a few hours later. DOMS are finally catching up with me primarily in the glutes and hamstrings but I'm sure it will be more by tomorrow. A bit concerned I may have trouble walking tomorrow! LOL

Insanely tough workout. Thanks! I'm sure I'll be thanking you Cathe (later) for the great results I've gotten. For now, it is good to know you struggled too! :)

STS Disc 3 Check-in

Cathe:

Oh, yes, it is a picnic--a DOMS feast! LOL! I love the plate exercises. I was so happy when I saw these exercises in the blog photos last year. I invested in gliding discs a few years ago, and they have been collecting dust in my fitness closet. I am glad I have the purple gliding discs, but they are very slippery. After my first slide-back lunge, I wondered who waxed my carpet! LOL! The Ab Circuits plate work is the real challenge! Oh my word!

I love, love, love firewalkers! Sweet DOMS tonight. LOL! :)

Blessings,
Heather B.

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

Um, I did disk 3 at 3:30am this morning and my poor legs just shook for a few hours later.

OMG! How, why?? I can't walk to the bathroom at 3:30 in the morning! Let alone do this or any other workout!! Now, that's motivation!

I remember lots of DOMS for days after disc #3.I just finish #9,and I love the bonus at the end. I am sure I'll be sore tomorrow.

Suzette

Great workout!

I love the pace, the variety, and how it seems to hit the legs from so many different angles. I really appreciate the balance needed for some of the exercises. My right knee is still a little weaker than my left so this REALLY challenges me and that's a good thing:)
I've already watched the CatheTV clips and can't wait for next week!

Cassie

Hello everyone!
Hubby & I finished Disc 6 yesterday, & boy we were drenched! The good thing about Mesocycle 1 is that you certainly don't have time to look at the clock wondering when you'll be through:p. Gotta say, I was sure grunting to get back up on those slide back paper plate lunges. Ouch!! I especially loved the standing portion of the bonus band segment. Why didn't I think of using my band like that before? Today my glutes are sore for sure.
Well, happy STSing to all!
Diane

Paper Plates...

Excerpt:

Well I'm sure you all now agree that paper plates are no longer just for picnics :eek:

Next came the FIREWALKERS ....when on earth were we going to s-t-o-p ???? I was SO spent and kept wondering how I survived all those laps on film day because I know we had to redo that part that day? I cracked up out loud when I saw how small Cedie's steps were and shouted out "smart girl" :D

The plate work is what gives this workout its "DOMS kick". By going down to this deeper level and then fighting your way back to the top from such a deeply stretched stance you are presenting your muscles with the ultimate challenge at their most exposed point in the movement. This is what makes the exercise very advanced. As I mentioned above, check out modifications on Cathe TV STS Check In (we posted a link in our other thread) if you are desiring a modification.

Nighty Night and don't let the DOMS bug bite....too late for that :p

I have decided to try to pick a song for STS w/o of the day/week as the mood strikes me :p .....and yes today's song is Peter Frampton's "Do You Feel Like We Do" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu2bw2QCOO4

I was super careful with this leg w/o and was pleasantly surprised. Modifications were necessary but happy to be able to do so, yeah!!!

Made it thru walking lunges as the starter...Plie squats are good but used the high step topper to set/lift weight from rather than floor - same with ball/wall squats (used regular step underneath)...no way I'd ever get back up if I went down to the floor, ha!!! Nothing to report on DL or CR but the ball/wall squat leg extensions were a no-go :( too much stress for one knee (at least for now).

Heheheh, those paper plates were pretty good, just took it easy and did not go as deep. I use a power systems tube with grips that anchor nicely on the outside of my ankles for firewalkers and don't have to mess with tying the band...did I mention me no likey bands (actually my triceps are feeling good and really haven't noticed chest from all the earlier pushups but I used the perfect pushups).

I'll say it again I'm loving 4DS so much right now b/c I can ENJOY STS!!!

I liked the drop side lunges w/ABD and had enough kicks from yesterdays KPC, ha :eek: -- Cathe did you cheat and just do Silver Sneakers, hee-hee?

I did half reps on the Bonus...have to have something to look forward to, right! I kinda held on to the paper plate on the bent leg balance move :eek: and enjoyed the Tib/Ant Ball push/pull.

Since I'm posting Sat afternoon, I can definitely tell ya, D3 is doing its job - bigtime :p

See Ya next time,
♪ Cynthia ♪

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.