Music for new videos

Cathe, I first have to say that your video production, choreography, set, and lighting are heads above all other fitness videos. I even like that you have 4 background exercisers who have coordinating outfits; it's really effective and visually pleasing. You have blown away the competition and have set the bar for excellent workout videos. I've been one of your fans for over a decade.

However, the music is the least consistent aspect of your workouts. I have been very disappointed in the music of your recent videos and after doing one of them again today, I wanted to share my opinion with you. The Intensity Series and Body Blast series had great motivating music. In the recent videos, the songs are not the thing I dislike, but rather the way they've been re-mixed. There are songs I normally dislike, in previous videos, that were re-mixed well, so I want to make that very clear because everyone has personal music tastes. My opinion is not based on musical tastes.

In trying to figure out what was making me enjoy other workouts, I figured out that the best re-mixed songs are ones that have an essence of happiness, and bounciness. Good video music has an upbeat tempo without long repititions of the same thing over and over. The songs in Cardio and Weights is a great example of music that has been remixed with a bounciness and upbeat feeling.

I think the music from Low Impact Step is merely okay, but lacks any real energy. The "Ride Like the Wind" song is an example of a song I love, but dislike the re-mix because it repeats over and over, without any twists or changes. It's like a few clips of the music were remixed and then spliced over and over again to create a longer song. The music from Body Max 2 is not great. It sounds partially like a Halloween music and the songs are very repetitive, with no change in "chorus" or tempo. The music from Low Max was just plain terrible and not motivating at all. I sold my video after trying to like it for several weeks.

So I guess I am asking if you been using the same company to create the music for all of your videos? I think you do, but wanted to make sure there wasn't a change in ownership, etc. I ask because I am wondering whether to buy some of your presale videos again. Because despite the fact that you are in a league of your own in all other aspects of fitness videos, if the music isn't motivating, then I just can't like the workouts. Again, it's not the songs or the era of music, it's how they've been remixed that makes it difficult to enjoy the work out.

Keep up the good work and thanks for setting up this forum so I can air my feedback. This issue was really bothering me so I appreciate the opportunity.

I am hoping Cathe will let us know as she updates the Blog. I am excited to find out too. I am sure we will find out soon.

Debbie:)

I love the music from LoMax!!! And some of the most repeptitive can be my favorite - I love the "I always feel like somebody's watching me" that's been used in a couple vids. Its a song I always hated, but something about the repetitiveness makes me like it and really energises the parts of the workouts the song is in for me. It is all a personal taste issue...
Golly, LoMax is one of my FAVORITES - partially for the music!!
I do absolutely love the music for the Intensity series too, though, my favorite is the BodyBlast series. My absolute "A number one" favorite song from all Cathe's vids is the all music song which comes towards the end of Step Blast. It has no words and I don't think its a remix of anything, and I'm sure part of how much I love it is how much I love that portion of the workout - but I ge an adrenalin rush just hearing it!! It's also on the intro to the BodyBlast series vids - if ever I'm feeling too lethargic to workout I play it and then I'm always in the mood to "kick some butt"!!!

Sometimes if I am not too into the music when I first do the vids - the strength of the workouts can make me like the songs. They are like buddies in a foxhole - eventually me and the music need to learn to depend on each other to get through the tough spots in the workout :7
--Laura

Laura, I'm with you! I love the music from LoMax. In fact, I love most all the music in all of Cathe's videos.

The thing about Cathe's workouts is that she's produced so much great material there's pretty much something for everyone :)

Cheryl

I like the music in LIC. My favorite song though is the one during the warmup for IMAX 2, actually most of the music in IMAX 2 is really good. The one I don't like is the Prince song in Step Blast, but I just don't like his music.

Yes, I think my second favorite is the warmup in IMAX2 - that's another one that can really motivate me on a day I'm thinking of (God Forbid!!) blowing my workout off :)

There's another one that says "rainmaker" and I always sing "painmaker" - the good kind of pain of course ;)

Also "Firewalker" that one comes at just the right time to pick me back up!

I like most of the music, but there's definitely some I don't care for. I tend to agree with the OP that the problem is usually the remix and not the actual song.

ETA that bad musical remixes have never really stopped me from doing a workout though, because Cathe and crew have enough personal charm and charisma to offset the music.

I like most of the music, however, in LIC during 2 of the blasts, there's music that has a "whoomp, whoomp" sound like kids who are squeezing their underarms to make an obnoxious sound ... I don't care for that. Guess it would be difficult to find music that everyone likes all the time. Deb

I really can't pick any one video that i didn't care for the music. i love the music in the new series. very fun and upbeat.
I do her workouts all the time like most of you so i can truly say that none of the videos i have have any music that annoys me. its all good. i love the music in the hardcore series too.

its all good!!!

keep up the good work cathe!!!

just to add- I am sooooooooooooooo psyched for the new videos!!!!! I can't wait for these workouts!!! I have been doing the GS series workouts and trying to do at least 30-45 min of cardio before i do them but since summer is here I am short on time so usually my cardio portion suffers. I am very excited that these workouts are going to be so versatile. CAN'T WAIT CAN'T WAIT CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :)

My favorite overall music in a Cathe series is the Intensity Series. The music in the newer series just isn't quite as good somehow, JMO.

I must not be picky when it comes to Cathe's music because there is not ONE workout that I can pick out that I don't like the selection. It's all good to me. I do know the the music is very expensive and when you buy it, sometimes there are good songs on the mix and sometimes bad ones. I can buy a mix of music 45 minutes long and only like TWO songs on the whole CD! But all-in-all, I am working too hard when I do Cathe's tapes that I can't even concentrate on what IS playing. Ha! Can't wait to see what she has in store for us all!

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You DANCE!

"I must not be picky when it comes to Cathe's music because there is not ONE workout that I can pick out that I don't like the selection. It's all good to me. I do know the the music is very expensive and when you buy it, sometimes there are good songs on the mix and sometimes bad ones. I can buy a mix of music 45 minutes long and only like TWO songs on the whole CD! But all-in-all, I am working too hard when I do Cathe's tapes that I can't even concentrate on what IS playing. Ha! Can't wait to see what she has in store for us all!"
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You DANCE!

You said it perfectly!!! I totally agree with you!!!!
Thanks!
:) :)
T.

"My opinion is not based on musical tastes. "

I beg to differ, because all of the stuff you say you don't like and don't find motivating is the stuff I LOVE and that gets me going.

Well, I can honestly say that the music doesn't make or break it for me (if that were the case, I'd stop the workout when Ride Like the Wind or that Pina Colada song come on.) I do think the different mixes and tempos definitely help motivate me during the workout, but it's not like I'm going to buy the soundtrack of a step video to listen to in my car.

Hmmmmm....although, being from Jersey and all, maybe Cathe could do her on personal touch to the "Garden State" soundtrack?!;)

I thank GOD for the pina colada song!!! I would never make it at that point if it didn't come on - it really helps that its kinda funny! My husband always starts cracking up in the other room at the part where they stutter p-p-p-pina colada....
Oh but such a happy, peppy song for a part of the workout that ALWAYS kills me, but in a good way :)

Honestly, I pay very little attention to the music. I giggle when Cathe asks, "where are the kids?" or when "Jessie's girl" comes on, but for the most part, I am concentrating on what I am doing and listening to Cathe. Same with the iTreads and iClimbs. I use the music for the beat.

JMO

Having used several other workout videos in the past, I *adore* Cathe's videos for incorporating such fun and motivating music. Of course not every song is a particular favorite, but I several of the songs really motivate me when I want to skip those last few reps or take a slightly extended "water break." I like BM2's "Jessie's Girl" so much I tend to revert to the start menu during my final stretch so I can listen to it in lieu of the stretching music, and while I generally loathe Jimmy Buffett, Imax 2's "Pina Coladas" is so fun and upbeat it always makes me smile and dance through the last blast. And "Kung Fu Fighting" is just hysterical!

I only own about 12 or 15 Cathe dvds, so I know my experience with her music is more limited than some, but I generally find it to be a fantastic addition to an already challenging and creatively-choreographed routine. And, particularly on the newer ones, there's always the option to play the dvd with the vocal track only; then you can play any music you like! :D

Just my two cents!

Crystal

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.