Music for new videos

>"My opinion is not based on musical tastes. "
>
>I beg to differ, because all of the stuff you say you don't
>like and don't find motivating is the stuff I LOVE and that
>gets me going.
>
>
I agree Shelley! I love the re-mixes that the OP poster doesn't. Obviously it's a matter of musical taste. You just can't please everyone.

Carolyn

Funny--it is all varying musical tastes! I don't like "Pina Colada," "Jessie's Girl," any Michael Jackson song, the Supremes song that starts LG, and esp. esp. esp. the Stones "Under My Thumb" in HSC. I find the Body Blast series music to be less enjoyable, as well as Pure Strength's and CTX's. I love the warm up song in LowMax ("Celebrate") and the remix of "Relax", although I'm not a fan of low impact step so I don't do it as often.

I LOVE (mostly) all the music in the last series, and I think Cathy gets more charming, personable, and motivating with each series. I feel like Cathy and her crew are long-time workout buddies that I join most mornings, and even music I don't like recedes to the background as I focus on having fun and working hard.

That said, I would love Cathy to never ever use again any woman-down songs such as the Supremes and Stones songs above. Positive, life-celebrating music is always a plus. It's also very weird for me to listen to any Michael Jackson (and Prince) songs/remixes, cause of what they are like. Their personal weirdness is embedded in their music for me at this point, however good the music may be.

And, regardless of the music, I will always buy Cathy's workouts on the first pre-sale because she's the absolute BEST and the music just isn't that much of a deterrent.

Love you Cathy and crew and keep up the GREAT work!!!

Tastes definitely vary, that's for sure. Of all Cathe's series, I enjoy the music in the latest the best....by far. In fact, when my husband is home when I'm working out to those DVDs, I warn him that it's going to be loud because I turn the volume way up, especially to BMax2 and LIC. Those songs get me and keep me going.

But I can honestly say there are few of Cathe's workout where the music bothers me. The only one where I'm slightly disappointed in the music is Rhythmic Step, only because I think that is a fun step workout, but the totally synthesized music doesn't enhance the routine or, personally speaking, give me that 'added' boost that more beat driven or familiar songs seem to do.

Hi Crystal, I love those songs too, they get me in a great mood and motivated as I work hard and can sing a long. I am a music lover of all kinds.

Have a great weekend

Debbie

I do not care for the music in the Original Body Max or Step Works.

Personally, I prefer the mixes from Body Max 2, Low Impact Circuit, Low Max, and IMAX 3.

I do not care for the music used in Step Works or the Original Body Max!

I think the music used in Low Impact Circuit and Body Max 2 are my favorite mixes ever!

I got sort of over all the "Damsel in Distress" Music in the Blast Series.

It felt weird getting stronger while hearing music about chicks desperately trying to hold on to their men.

Example: That Cranberries song used as a cool down....and the Band of Gold Mix in Legs & Glutes...

and the sound from the original IMAX is very bad, although I like the songs a lot.

BK Howe's music is used a lot and I think his remixes are awesome!

I've bought a lot of the BK Howe's DVDs that Cathe uses.

I think the original poster explained her perception of the more recent music very well, and I happen to agree with her. The music has been bothering me in just the same ways, and to the same degree. I'm also just as much a Cathe fan. I think the workouts are great, and I love the sets and the clothes. But the music has not been satisfactory for me, and I think Bonnie's reasons are the same as mine. Personally, I'm glad to find I'm not the only one.

My favorite music is in the Intensity Series and Body Blast series. If the music in Lowmax were more like that--wow, I'd do it more often!

I sold Imax 3 because the music just didn't help me get through that workout at all. :-(

Gisela

"She's living in sin with a cowboy, and hell--he can hardly even walk!" --J.R. Ewing, "Dallas"

Escape (The Pina Colada Song) was written and performed by Rupert Holmes and not Jimmy Buffet.

http://www.answers.com/topic/rupert-holmes?cat=entertainment

Edited to add even with the graciously replaced DVDs, the sound on the latest round of workout DVDs was still crappy, with Cathe's cues being buried in the mix. *That's* why those particular workouts grate on my nerves.

IMHO, CTX has the coolest music as well. My second fave is the Body Blast workout music. Something about those workouts just say 'summertime' to me.

I hope Cathe gets as far as reading my post on this thread, because of all Cathe's workouts, I like the music in the most recent ones the best! It doesn't matter which workout I'm doing out of this bunch, I just love it. Yes, "Ride Like The Wind" is repetitive, and I'm not a big fan of "Girls Just Want to Have Fun", but, "ya win some and ya lose some".

I hope she doesn't change the way she does music going forward because of this thread, because I would be absolutely disappointed!

In my opinion, Drill Max and Body Max 2 contain some of thet best workout tunes Cathe's ever featured. The warm up music from Drill Max gets me super pumped and I love the music from the blasts in Low Impact Circuit. I like the music from Butts & Guts, too, but Drill Max and Body Max 2 are my personal faves.

If I had to choose my favorite Cathe workout music it would be Step Blast as it contains not one but TWO Prince songs and Prince is my all time favorite artist.

I'm almost always impressed with Cathe's choices in music. She seems to like 80s and early 90s fare, and that's my cup o' tea, too.

Can't wait to read a blog update re the music for the 4-Day Split!!

I honestly like all of the music in Cathe's videos - and I have about 14 of them now. Some videos are older, some are brand new, but I enjoy all of the music. I think it really is a matter of personal taste. I am more interested in hearing what Cathe has to *say* in terms of instructions and tips than anything else. The music is more of a nice side-feature, it's not a focus for me anyway. I am just happy to have found the best workout videos by the best instructor and crew on the planet.

~ Ann ~
Aim for nothing, and you'll hit it every time!

And I repurchased IMAX 3 because I love the soundtrack.

I especially like Human Nature and This is Your Night.

I think it is awesome.

Music is very important to me. I crank it up very loud and it motivates me so much.

I do hope Cathe gets as far as this because the music from her latest DVDs is, in my opinion, the best ever.

Amy Steppe -

How did you know which CDs to purchase? I went to the BK Howe website and my computer kept freezing up.

Did you just keep looking at all the songs until you found the ones that Cathe used in past workouts?

Thanks!

Susan L.G.

I agree. I really like the music of Body Max 2 and LIC. Actually, BK Howe music is pretty good especially his originals. He's into techno and house music which I like.

The DVDs with most of the new series are Radio Remix One and Radio Remix Two.

I got the information from a catalog from DynaMix.

Cathe uses a lot of BK Howe mixes - in fact there was one Cathe DVD featuring music from her Intensity Series. I think she and BK Howe created the mix.

I agree that music is important in the workouts and I am really motivated in workouts where the music is good and used well. As can be seen from this thread everyone has different tastes and you are not going to please everyone all the time. However I don't think the type of music really matters - I think Cathe's most succesful and enjoyable workouts are when she really uses the music and it fits with the routine. Someone mentioned the end of Step Blast - I don't think it is that the music is particularly great but the energy level of the music really ramps up as you approach the blast so it helps to motivate. Likewise I am sure that one of the reasons that Imax-2 is so successful and fun is because the music fits so well with the moves so you are almost dancing not just exercising - for example during the straddle taps or the skip back section earlier on. I would never listen to something like Pina colada normally but the timing is great with the jumps across the step in Blast 9 and it really helps me to JUMP HIGHER :D . The worst example I find is IMAX-3 where everyone is so intent on getting through that the music just seems to be playing as a background, sometimes I don't even feel that it is related to the workout.

Ruth

I think the new series has the most motivating music. I like all of the workouts i have and alot of the music is awesome but when i do the new tapes - LIC, Drill Max and BM2 (I shy away from B&G because it scares me so I don't know the music as well) I just get so much energy from the music. and cathe just looks like she is having a total blast doing the workouts. so they have my favorite music i guess.
Cathe - keep up the good work.

T. :) :)

I love the BK Howe mixes -- because I love techno and club music.

I just hate going to bars to dance because of the cigarette smoke.

Personally, I like the BK Howe mixes more than any music Cathe has ever used.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.