Way Too Much Work For Me

lily1

I have to say, for the first time in over 7 years, I am disappointed in something that Cathe has put out. I realize the amount of time, effort and work that has gone into the STS Project and I do appreciate this.

But, on the other hand, trying to get started has become a part-time job in itself for me and all I want to do is work out!!! Each time I go into the Workout Manager, I have to review a Tutorial to find out how to do everything! 1 Rep Max, view Tutorial - Print Workout Card, view Tutorial, etc. etc. I'm not a computer geek, nor do I want to be, nor do I want to have to become one to do a workout program.

STS does look like a great program, but I believe (again, for the first time in my life), I am going to be returning it.

At first, I felt overwhelmed, too, but I just sat down and did all the "preliminaries" - 1RM, printed off a workout card, put the DVD in the player and did the workout.

Try not to major in the minors, Lily.

Hi lily,

If you are feeling overwhelmed by the computer tracking, don’t use it. If you have liked Cathe’s workouts over the years, I believe that you’ll enjoy these workouts. Just get started doing the discs in the order they are meant to be used. Use three a week and add in your cardio and flexibility training. Have fun with your workouts. When the time comes that you want to take your training to the next level, then you will have had time to explore the workout manager. But, in the meantime you can just enjoy the workouts because I don’t believe you can return them (according to SNMs policy). I might be wrong and I’m sure SNM will chime in.

If you need any help don’t hesitate to ask,
jordan

Last edited:
It does seem overwhelming, although once you get the hang of it, it's really pretty straight forward, and a great addition to the workouts, although the computer aspect is not mandatory.

I agree with Jordan, and I think the 1RM testing will greatly enhance this program, you can do it without all the workout cards, etc. Have you done disc 1 yet? It's really a great workout, and refreshingly different. If you choose to try it out, just make sure to pick a challenging weight for each exercise, because you will only be doing 1 set of each exercise.

If you go with the above method, just keep a note book of the weights you used, so you can increase them slightly (5% or so) each week.

Good luck in whatever you decide. :)

I have to say, for the first time in over 7 years, I am disappointed in something that Cathe has put out. I realize the amount of time, effort and work that has gone into the STS Project and I do appreciate this.

But, on the other hand, trying to get started has become a part-time job in itself for me and all I want to do is work out!!! Each time I go into the Workout Manager, I have to review a Tutorial to find out how to do everything! 1 Rep Max, view Tutorial - Print Workout Card, view Tutorial, etc. etc. I'm not a computer geek, nor do I want to be, nor do I want to have to become one to do a workout program.

STS does look like a great program, but I believe (again, for the first time in my life), I am going to be returning it.

So you know we don't allow returns on DVDs, but there really is nothing complicated about using STS. We provide a lot of tools that can help you get more out of your workouts, but you don't have to use them if you don't want to. All you have to do is put disc #1 and hit play and follow what Cathe says as you always do. Then two days later put disc #2 in.

Learning a Cathe step routine is way more difficult than learning how to use the Workout Manager. But unless you spend the time to learn a new step routine you will only be frustrated and will never know or enjoy the benefits of doing the new workout.

Many people have already been surprised to find that taking a 1RM test has helped them enjoy their workouts more because now their using the correct weight. We've made this whole process very simple and you don't have to be a computer geek to learn how to do it. Our forums are probably more complicated to use and have a steeper learning curve than taking a 1RM test. But if you have questions all you have to do is ask us here on our forums and we will help you.

KEEP the workouts!!

you have to keep the workouts...forget about the 1rm thing and the cards...i started today and LOVED the workout!!! I did do the 1RM, but honestly you don't have to...for some of the exercises i just picked up a weight that I knew would be a challenge...If you've been doing Cathe's wkouts for a while, you'll be fine in choosing a weight....yes the 1rm thing is alot, but like I said just skip it and use the workouts in order and I bet you will get terrific results!!!
they really are great and i would hate to see anyone miss out due to the 1rm thing.
elena

I'm not even planning to do the 1RM for the first mesocycle. I'm just going to do with a weight that challenges me appropriately. You also don't have to use the Workout Manager online - which I also may or may not do. You bought the DVDs, and those are awesome in and of themselves. All of the other stuff is icing, and just like cake, you don't have to eat the icing.

you have to keep the workouts...forget about the 1rm thing and the cards...i started today and LOVED the workout!!! I did do the 1RM, but honestly you don't have to...for some of the exercises i just picked up a weight that I knew would be a challenge...If you've been doing Cathe's wkouts for a while, you'll be fine in choosing a weight....yes the 1rm thing is alot, but like I said just skip it and use the workouts in order and I bet you will get terrific results!!!
they really are great and i would hate to see anyone miss out due to the 1rm thing.
elena

ITA!
Don't throw the baby out with the bath water!!
It's a great program. I didn't want to do the 1rm testing. I knew it would make me crazy. I just finished disc one from meso one. I did not have any problems finding a challenging weight. I had one of the best upper body workouts of my life!!!
I'm going to be sore, but that makes me happy;)

I'm not even planning to do the 1RM for the first mesocycle. I'm just going to do with a weight that challenges me appropriately. You also don't have to use the Workout Manager online - which I also may or may not do. You bought the DVDs, and those are awesome in and of themselves. All of the other stuff is icing, and just like cake, you don't have to eat the icing.

But isn't the icing the best part??!! :p

The WM isn't really that difficult once you use it a few times - and I'm not the most computer-literate person in the world. Don't give up! You'll regret it! Just do what you can do when you can do it... on YOUR timetable!

I'd at least try the workout by just guessing what weight you think you can do for that many reps as it is listed on the screen (the reps) before you do it. You might even pick a weight a tad bit higher and it might surprise you. These workouts really are fun and go by so quickly. Since you have them, at least give them a whirl with or without doing your 1RM. Good Luck!

The workout manager is not at all difficult and I'm am technologically challenged. The tutorials are really short and simple. I printed out all the workout cards last night and I even managed to figure out how to print these using both sides of the paper.:cool:

I agree that the 1rm testing is a bit overwhelming. I started this morning and got a few in. On 1 exercise though the weight I chose obviously was too light because I did 20 reps so i will have to do it over I think. But that's the point I'm always choosing too light which is why I don't ever make any progress. So I'm determined to follow the program how Cathe intended.
I think once the 1rm testing is over it will be smooth sailing. Just put in STS 3 times per week every other day and do the Cardio on the off days.
How much easier could it be?

When I first saw the number of exercises that 1RMs would be done for I was a bit frustrated and overwhelmed also, but really its not that bad once you get started, and I think worth doing. I just made the 1RM testing my weight workouts for a week and it was actually fun. The Workout Manager is also pretty easy once you dive in and start using it and I love the rotation and calendar options. However, as others have said, if you prefer to treat STS like a set of regular workout DVDs then do it. I'm sure you will still reap benefits from them.

just do the workouts like you've been doing...guest the weights

Meso 1 light weights (like 12# biceps work)
Meso 2 med weights (15# bicept work)
Meso 3 heavy weights (18-20# bicep work)

Just forget WM stuff.

ME EITHER!

elena

I really wasn't too enthusiatic about the 1rm thing either. I know its about choosing the right weight and all, but I'm pretty sure I know what I CAN and CAN NOT handle with correct form! I'm just waiting for mine to arrive so I can start!!! So really until I have the package and instructions in my hands I don't plan on doing the 1rm thing. Just do STS as you would normally do Cathe's workouts!

You can still do STS and get great results without going to that much work, IMO.

I may not do any 1RM tests (I don't have the goal of being as buff as possible, just being fit and gaining some muscle and losing some fat).
In Mesocycle 3, Cathe even says at the beginning of the disc that you chose a weight that works for 9 reps (to failure). I'm using that guide rather than my exact 1RM, and increasing weights from week to week as needed. It works for me with CLX, and I'm sure it will work for me with STS.

You can use the WM just to print workout cards without doing the 1RM (and fill in the weights you used and the number of reps you got, which, if you are working correctly, should be the same as Cathe or one or two fewer).

Oh for corn's sake! All these people trying to convince you to like a program that you don't want to do the work for. Look, exercise is hard work - that's kind of the point. We hire personal trainers to figure all this out for us, at an enormous cost. Cathe has figured out a way to give us the ability to be our own personal trainers in a very challenging home workout program at a reasonable price. Yes, it takes some work to figure out what is best for you and make the program work for you. But you got the system for $250 instead of the huge amount you'd pay a trainer to do that same work, so if you don't like it, put it up on eBay and go and hand over tons of money to a PT. I'm sure you'd sell it quickly.

Thank you everybody!

Oh, OK.... I'll do it :)

Thank you all so much for your encouragement. That's what I love about this place - you can get talked into anything!

I didn't know I could not return unopened DVD's, but I am just going to suck it up and do STS as many of you said. Ignore the 1RM for now and just go by what I feel

Some have mentioned here that you can see the "average 1 RPM's of fellow Catheites". Can someone tell me how I find that information? This may help me.

Knowing me, I will be on here in two weeks, 'bashing' anyone who disses STS!!!!

Thanks again gang
Lily

No Worries!

Hi Lily1! No worries at all....you will get great results from this program whether you figure out your 1rm or not. Sure, you will get your "absolute best" results if you do the 1RM testing, but if that doesn't interest you, these workouts will feel no different (as far as how to use them) then my other workouts. Just pop Disc #1 in and go. You'll probably even get some decent DOMS if you select a challenging weight per exercise.

If you want to keep it as simple as possible you don't even need to access your computer at all.

1) Just take a peek at the User Guide book for Disc #1, see the workout before your eyes (ie: the muscle groups being used, the number of reps, the number or sets, the equipment needed).

2) Guess the best weight you need (per exercise) based on what weight you have used for these exercises in other workouts. Up that "guessed" weight by 1 pound to 3 pounds (ie: one to 2 pounds heavier for smaller muscle groups and 2 to 3 pounds heavier for larger muscle groups).

3) Then press play!!!!!

4) Modify any exercise to lighter weight if you can't complete the set.

It's that easy, I promise! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.