Yoga - Oxygen's Inhale with Steve Ross

dsmiller

Cathlete
Over the Thanksgiving vacation (when I had time to view a bit more TV), I saw that Oxygen had put Inhale with Steve Ross back on the schedule. A couple of years ago after knee surgery (back before I went back to work), I did Inhale several times a week as a supplement to my physical therapy exercises, and I could see strength and flexibility gains, even in my "diminished" state.

I tend to "appreciate" Pilates more than yoga--yoga generally moves too slowly for me, and the music isn't as motivating. But, I really like Inhale with Steve Ross--music and pace of the class. I've been taping it and doing it after work--this week I skip a day and then do two back-to-back. My heart rate increases and my wrists have already improved (carpal tunnel problems)so I can do the full-body slowly lowering into up dog/down dog--and on from there. I can also see that my flexibility is increasing again--I'm flexible to start with, but yoga kicks it up a notch.

I have yoga videos (Bryan Kest's Power Yoga, Ali McGraw, Kathy Smith, Method, etc.--started out doing yoga with Lilias Folan on PBS in the 70s when my kids were babies), but the Inhale program is the only yoga that I look forward to doing.

Do any of the educated crowd like Inhale as I do? Have any of you seen any Steve Ross yoga videos out there, or do I just have to be content with the TV program?

I keep meaning to tape some of these and try them out. I enjoy watching, but it's on when I'm getting ready for work and I never quite get it together. I was a little taken aback when I first saw the show because Steve's humor is so incongruous with the standard yoga style of instruction. However, he's engaging and friendly, and obviously can practice what he preaches. I love all styles of yoga that I've encountered so far, but I can see how for those not so enamored this would be a great way in. Just curious: how long do the workouts end up being without the commercials? TIA
--Ann

>I keep meaning to tape some of these and try them out. I
>enjoy watching, but it's on when I'm getting ready for work
>and I never quite get it together. I was a little taken aback
>when I first saw the show because Steve's humor is so
>incongruous with the standard yoga style of instruction.
>However, he's engaging and friendly, and obviously can
>practice what he preaches. I love all styles of yoga that I've
>encountered so far, but I can see how for those not so
>enamored this would be a great way in. Just curious: how long
>do the workouts end up being without the commercials? TIA
>--Ann

I sat here and ran a tape through this morning--it was around 45 miinutes without commercials.

Part of what I like about Steve Ross is the sense of humor and not taking it all so seriously. I get the feeling that he DOES take yoga very seriously, but this is a different avenue to learn. He is a wonderful teacher and knows how to engage and interest students without turning them off by how difficult yoga can be. He spends most of his time in class walking around correcting/improving postures, but when he does a posture, I'm amazed at his flexibility. I, too, love different styles of yoga and can do the serious classes, but at this point in my life, I like upbeat, moving, fun workouts with good music. He sucks me in and before I know it, I'm having a good workout, enjoying myself, and increasing my strength and flexibiity in the bargain. Feel great afterwards, too.

Hope you take the time to set your VCR and try Inhale out. I'm really enjoying it.

Meant to tell y'all the first time I did the two yoga programs back-to-back (I did the workout parts one after the other, then I flipped back and did the developmental stretching and relaxation portions one after the other--oh! for a DVD recorder), that my up dog/down dog turned into a whimpering pup/whupped pup. I got my second wind though and finished strong. (Might have been partially because I only got 3 hours of sleep the night before and had put in a full day of work before I started in.) The next time I paced myself better and didn't have the same problem.

>Hi!
>I just PM'd ya.....
>
>Thanks!:)

Oops! I think it got deleted in my junk mail filter. Sorry. Could you try again? :-(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.