yellow on toe nail [not fungus] what is it?

Fach

Cathlete
I have yellowing on my big toe nails. I don't wear polish so it isn't staining from that. I have had two tests to determine fungus. It is not. What is it then? I thought maybe it was extra dry and started putting lotion on them like I do my hands. Toe nails grow so slow it's hard to tell if it's working. Anyone have this or know what it is? BTW my fingernails are bright white and healthy.

Many people have luck with tea tree oil and semi frequent pedicures to help. If you exercise regularly your poor toenails probably show it (but the rest of you looks FABULOUS :) ).

>If you're sure it's not a fungus there is one other thing it
>could be, it's called yellow nail syndrome. Here's a link to
>a sight I found on it. WARNING! It has a picture of yellow
>nail syndrome and for those of you that gross out easily,
>don't open it.
>
>http://dermnetnz.org/hair-nails-sweat/yellow-nails.html
>
>Kathy
EWWW! Thank goodness it's not that! AHHHH!

It isn't the yellow nail syndrom shown in the pictures. it doesn't look that bad. My nail has no deformity and only the last 1/3 near the tip yellows. If I lightly file the top the yellow comes off, but then the nail is thinner and breakage more likely, so i don't like to do that. FYI I do get a pedicure every 3 weeks [no polish].

I am also cursed with one ugly nail....I have had it for years. Last year I finaly went to the foot doctor who told me it was probaby fungus, he treated it(it did get a bit better), then when I saw him again for my broken ankle in the fall, he told me that the culture had acutally come back negative for fungus. It still bothers me, and I use a topical solution for fungus on it, cause it sometimes still hurts. Mine is bumpy and ugly and I swear it is something I picked up after a pedicure a long time ago. I know, no answers from me, just wanted you to know you might never find out....

Donna

The dermatologist who treated my nail really disliked the idea of pedicures. She thought it was a problem looking for a place to happen. She felt it was unwise unless you brought your own tools. I did go out and buy them but you still use the foot bath. I'd look like a real idiot carrying THAT in with me :)

Interesting that your test came back negetive. I wonder how acurate those things are.

PS Dr. said the topical treatments don't really work.

I've actually pulled some studies off of Medline that show that tea tree oil actually does help (often where prescription meds fail) and I have had good luck with it. Since it's natural and no one can make money off patenting it those associated with pharma will often pooh-pooh it.

Although my test came back negative for the fungus I did try Lamisil which made all food taste horrible (good if you want to starve yourself to death). I immediately stopped taking it and advised my doc who was surprised that my taste returned to normal after a few weeks--apparently many do not regain this. I also don't like the concept of having to take occasion blood tests to make sure a medication for my toenails is not destroying my liver. I am sure others have used it successfully without adverse effects. Not me.

Another prescription option is a topical called Penlac.

As far as pedicures, your doctor is right if your technician does not keep things clean but to assume all nail techs are dirty would be the same as assuming all doctors are quaks in the pockets of pharmaceutical companies ;-) . I go to a good friend who I have known for years and is meticulous about keeping things clean--it's her livlihood after all. Dishing out nail fungi is not a way to earn repeat customers.

I had the yellow nails but was tested positive for a fungus. I used Lamisil and had none of the side affects Beavs had (I was lucky!!). Lamisil is prescribed a few different ways, as my fungus was not bad I used the pills for one week a month, but for three months. So I just used it basically for 3 weeks in total. No damage to my liver after the blood tests. It is expensive unless you have insurance....HTH

I am also a licensed manicurist but do not do pedicures (not a huge foot fan). I would say be very careful where you go for pedicures and like your dermatologist said, possibly bring your own tools. Just make sure the Salon has a reputation for being clean and maybe you can check with the State Board for whatever state you are in to see if they have been fined at all for not sanitizing their implements and foot baths. Not sure they can do that but it would be a good idea...:)

My doctor gave me a prescription for mine. It takes awhile to get rid of. Keep up with it once you get your meds.

This may sound very simplistic, but here goes. After you work out, do you immediately take off your socks and shoes? I had the same problem with my big toes a while back. The nails were yellowing, but not thickening (which is a usual sign of fungus). I showed my DH who is a physician, who says, it looks like "jungle rot". I have no clue where he got this phrase from, but apparently soldiers over the years have had problems like this from wearing wet boots. I assume that mine was a mild case of this, I started taking my tennis shoes right after my work out and using some of that udder cream that is good for your nails. It took about a month to notice a big difference.
The other thing I will mention is that Flagyl is a heavy duty medication, so please be careful when taking it. Please do the blood work they ask for to check your liver, if you do decide to do the meds.

Did you bruise that toe a while back?

I have been stepped on my left big toe twice in the row which left my toenail black/blue. It took almost a year for the nail to grow out the first time and then, bam, another one stepped on the same toe and it bruised again.

Now, the toenail is a tad more yellow than the right but it's from the injured flesh underneath it, the scar tissue.

Mikkia's Vietnam era terminology is probably correct. Also, for those with excessively sweaty feet Drysol is a prescription anti perspirant that people have found to be quite helpful.

Lots of helpful info. Thanks everyone. I assume from the posts that the fungus culture tests are not always accurate. My yellow big toes could be from a number of things. I had hoped it was just very dry nails. I have been rubbing lotion onto them daily and it seems to be helping. If this doesn't work I'll try tea tree oil. Maybe it is a very mild fungus even though the tets say otherwise. I'll let you know what the outcome is. It will be awhile as the toe nails grow very slow. Thanks again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.