Xtrain and running

DianeKeen98

Are there any runners here?

I'm a newish runner (currently run 4.5 miles a couple of times a week) and have just bought xtrain. I plan on starting the 90 day rotation on Monday but I would like to squeeze in three runs a week if possible, one long run, one interval run and one hill session.....

How would you work it? Exercising twice a day from time to time wouldn't be a problem but it's not always possible with kids, job, running the house, and other commitments. Would I be better working to a 10 day week rather than 7? Would it matter if the weekly rotations were stretched further apart?

I hope that has made sense and I look forward to hearing your ideas.

Hi and welcome, Diana! I used to be a runner, I injured my foot over a year ago. Yes, you can sub any Xtrain cardio for running . :) It's all about having fun. Enjoy!

Welcome to the forums!!! I'm not a runner....But, I would think that stretching the rotation out to 10 days instead of 7 would not be a problem. When I actually do a rotation (I love them but am terrible sticking to it), there are times that I simply don't have the time to do everything. So I do what I can, eventually getting it all in. This way, you can do X train and your runs! Just keep track of what you're doing and when, so you know where you are in the rotation. I usually print them out and cross things off as they get accomplished. Just be careful to not over do anything. Stretch and rest when needed. Have fun.

Thanks a million guys. I'm very excited about starting this series and look forward to working out with you all.

Xx

I run 4 or 5 times per week. I typically only do the strength DVDs of rotations. This tends to fit in pretty well with running, at most I may have to double up one day where I do a run & upper body weight work. I would recommend printing out the rotation and figuring out how you think workouts should fit. You can also figure out if there are cardio workouts you are going to skip since you are getting that from running.

A lot depends on what your goals are--overall fitness, training for a race, etc.

I love to run. However I am on hold right now because my 8 year old son broke his femur and needs a lot of help. I do plan on running again soon and I had the same question about adding strength training. I am interested in the 10 day week as well.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.