Cathe:D. I hope no one takes offense to this anecdote but the other day I commented to a friend that I sure hope Cathe doesn't die before me. Their response was, "with any luck, you'll both go on the same day!" All meant in fun, of course!!!!:p;)

Last edited:
Maybe not my fitness idol in the sense that you mean it, but I am forever grateful to Jane Fonda for getting me into working out at home. In 1983, I took a senior trip to Hawaii with 3 of my girlfriends. On the plane trip back, one of the magazines featured an article on Jane & her new workout. I remember thinking to myself, "If I want to look that good when I'm 30 & 40 years old (Ha! my 18 year old self), I need to get started on this now." I decided to use what was left of my spending money to buy her workout, which at the time consisted of a book and cassette tape.;) That was the beginning of my commitment to fitness, and at 51 I'm thankful that this has been an important part of my life. Jane Fonda & many others continue to inspire me in their ability to age gracefully.

Cathe also changed my thinking on exercise. I love how she does the entire workout with us, and keeps it positive the entire time! I also strive to look like Jai-holy smokes she looks amazing! (Of course they all do, but Jai always stands out to me).
I also love Chalene Johnson. She is such an all around positive person and very motivating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh Elsie, that's so sweet! He must be a great man!!

I started with Tamilee Webb & Gilad. Seeing Cathe on Fit TV was absolutely intimidating for me. I tried but she was way out of my reach. Over time I got stronger and tried Cathe again. One DVD and I was hooked! I've been doing her wkouts ever since and like many of you....she changed the way I workout, along with my physique. I love her for it everyday!!! She's my idol for sure!

When I first started exercising it was Rachel McLish, which was many, many, years ago. For short period of time it was Cory Everson. Then for the longest time I didn't have anyone until I decided to buy one of Cathe's workouts. For the past 14 years it has been Cathe hands down. Just once I would love to follow her around for a day. My workouts have changed so much since I started working out with Cathe. I look back at how far I have come... it's awesome. I remember when I first tried doing jump kicks.. I thought to myself "you've got to be kidding me" same with toe taps. Before I knew, I was getting better at them and enjoying it.

mbmundt said "Before I knew, I was getting better at them and enjoying it"......in a nutshell this says it all!!! I started having so much FUN when I started w/ Cathe. It really says something about an instructor when you're dripping w/ sweat, out of breath and the instructor can still make you laugh.

Lisa Lyons Body Magic back in the day because she looked amazing and she inspired me to lift weights. It is a book and not a DVD. Also Raquel Welch and her book on yoga. The DVD also.
She was pushing a green soup you should eat every day and it sounds an awful lot the green smoothies we are all drinking now. Both books came out in the early '80's.
They are my icons because they got me started and kept me on the path.

I have some. But it's more functional than vanity (but heck if I drop a few pounds & slim down in the process I'll take it!)

firstly. Cathe - I had a wow moment watching Fit TV back in 2009, and thought, man I could never do that. But, not long after, and struggling through many a Cathe step routine, she pretty much fixed my wonky knees, and I'm grateful to her for that. I know I can peruse here and find answers to just about anything fitness related.

secondly. Tracy Anderson. Despite all the awful comments about her, her method, she pretty much fixed my posture and made it possible for me to start running, along with an emphasis on eating quality, whole foods, it changed the way I looked at fitness. there is no one way. I also found that complete aerobic level intensity workouts are perfect for me, 80% of the time. A girl has to run. Faster!

thirdly, Tony Horton. Let's face it, the guy doesn't freakin' age, and 8,000,000 results - Google, not bad for an old dude. (he's older than me, so there :p)

fourth, Matt Fitzgerald, one if not the most prolific writer in running sports performance, I have many of his books & for such a young person, he just never stops learning, it's inspiring. Here again the 80/20 rule agrees with my own fitness developing philosophy. I hope I never stop learning, either.

Lastly, these two guys, B.K.S. Iyengar & Pattabhi Jois, I totally get what they've done, and I'm grateful for them, even if I'm a "bad yogi".

... If you don't like me, block me, you ninny. totally not necessary, but there you have it, people who fix me, people who inspire me, people who gave all (and some who annoy), grateful to all.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.