Wow am I the only one that wants bulk?

I posted my question on the STS forum and evidently no one has a answer for me, sooo I am going to the source. I am in my late 50's and have been a trainer for years, so I am not new to workouts. Lately I have been developing this loose skin over my knees and on my thighs, I am very lean and my weight consistent through the years. I want to increase my muscle mass in my quads, to help tighten the loose skin. I was wondering if I could start with the Hypertrophy part of the STS instead of the Meso 1? I know increasing weight and less reps are the gold standard but are there any of your workouts that accomodate help with hypertrophy rather than promising "not" to bulk you up? STS Hypertrophy Legs one day and maybe Slow and Heavy on another day was an idea I had, any suggestions? Thanks, Vicki

I think both of those are good ideas. It will also depend on your body type as to how much and how easy/difficult it is to gain muscle. Since you're a trainer I am sure you know this. If you have a type that makes it easier, I found Gym Styles and Muscle Max to also work for me. Most people wouldn't consider those workouts to do it because of the rep range, but since I add muscle quickly, pretty much anything will work. Another option might be 4 Day Split. It's an extra day of workouts but they are shorter and they do promote some heavy weights. Pyramid UB/LB would do it too.

I starting lifting in highschool in the 90s which turned into body building. I was always so excited to be able to lift hundreds of pounds and have my guns of glory both for arms and legs. I don't see the hoopla of "bulking" bc it takes more work that anyone can imagine to look manly. All it did for me was left me looking strong and athletic while keeping my girly parts nice, round, and firm.

Thanks mrsprincess

Thanks, for the suggestions mrsprincess, I agree, dont know why so much concern over building muscle and yes body types have a lot to do with it. I have always had to work hard for any gain, and it will be even harder for me now due to my age. I actually do the Pyramid DVD alot but I find I am going to need more, just havnt seen anything about starting STS with the Hypertrophy rather than the Meso 1. Thanks so much for giving me a reply.

I posted my question on the STS forum and evidently no one has a answer for me, sooo I am going to the source. I am in my late 50's and have been a trainer for years, so I am not new to workouts. Lately I have been developing this loose skin over my knees and on my thighs, I am very lean and my weight consistent through the years. I want to increase my muscle mass in my quads, to help tighten the loose skin. I was wondering if I could start with the Hypertrophy part of the STS instead of the Meso 1? I know increasing weight and less reps are the gold standard but are there any of your workouts that accomodate help with hypertrophy rather than promising "not" to bulk you up? STS Hypertrophy Legs one day and maybe Slow and Heavy on another day was an idea I had, any suggestions? Thanks, Vicki

I've asked Cathe the same question, but just a little differently. I wanted to get my body in shape like a body builder. Here is what she said to me. I'm 61 and so it may be different for you. Hope this helps.

Hi Janie! Good for you for looking for continued progress and success.

Do STS in its entirety.

Take one week off.

Do Gym Styles for one month!

Do the low impact series for two weeks.

Do Four Day Split for one month.

Do Shock Cardio Series for two weeks

Do STS Meso two and Meso three

All the while eat a super clean diet. I tweak the Paleo diet to suit my needs. But basically eat very lean lean, natural, non processed foods, lots of dark green veggies, brown rice, sweet potatoes, quinoa, healthy fruits in small portions, fish, poultry, etc. Water, green tea are my main source of liquids. I throw in some organic 100% pure tart cherry juice for my joints and a great source of antioxidants too.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

I didn't see your post until now. And I truly don't know why there isn't more interest in that type of exercise. This should bulk you up. I'm close to the end of this 9 month rotation, and have lost over 40 pounds and am seeing and feeling hard muscle. I will most likely do it all over again and earn more muscles along the way, only this time I won't have to lose any weight and only concentrate on muscle building.

Hope this helps,

Janie

Wow good going Janie, I am impressed with your awesome work. Thanks for the reply and the recipe to help, looks like I am going to need it, lol, but I am ready. I dont have any weight to lose so I just want to focus on eating enough to feed my muscles. I did see where she did put the Meso 2 and 3 together at the end, awesome. I am not sure I really want to do the endurance right now in the beginning as I am afraid it will hone down what I have already gained but will take a look at it again and make a decision, but all in all it looks like I have my work cut out for me, good luck with your second time around, you evidently have plenty of willpower to do whatever it takes. You inspired me on, thanks Vicki

vickinoland said:
Wow good going Janie, I am impressed with your awesome work. Thanks for the reply and the recipe to help, looks like I am going to need it, lol, but I am ready. I dont have any weight to lose so I just want to focus on eating enough to feed my muscles. I did see where she did put the Meso 2 and 3 together at the end, awesome. I am not sure I really want to do the endurance right now in the beginning as I am afraid it will hone down what I have already gained but will take a look at it again and make a decision, but all in all it looks like I have my work cut out for me, good luck with your second time around, you evidently have plenty of willpower to do whatever it takes. You inspired me on, thanks Vicki

I wouldn't worry about losing bulk in meso 1. It focuses on endurance, but is HARD and I saw gains during M1 (as well as M2 and M3). FYI, I was already a strength training regular, with my favorite being Gym Styles.

Whatever you do, good luck!

Thanks for the heads up Trixoo, on the Meso 1, I indeed think I will do that. This has been a fun day reading all the reply's. I love the feedback, thanks so much. And you know the Gym Style is probably one that I dont have so I am gonna go and get that set soon. To me Cathe is a personal trainer's trainer, I just love her programs. Thanks again for the helpful hint on the meso 1, gains is just want I want.

Just thought you would like a little more info. When doing Meso 1 you are developing the little muscles that you also use to lift heavy weight. It's very important and not a waste of time to get them healthy enough so you also don't injure yourself. You know where you stand and how much you can handle I'm sure. Just a reminder.;)

Hope that makes sense,

Janie

Hi Vickinoland,
You are describing my problem exactly. I've always worked out, did 2 rounds of STS when it first came out and I looked my best. I think I need to get back to it because my legs used to be my best asset.
I think I'll start STS again and see where it takes me. We should post before and after pics of our legs . . . you first :)

Don't forget Slow & Heavy. Now that STS has come along, people tend to forget this one, but it's the only series I ever did that actually helped me gain strength on my skinny upper body. This series will help you gain muscle all over.

Also consider using weight machines at a gym for the lower body. Decline leg press, seated leg press, leg extension machines, with heavy weights, should all help your cause.

Ultimately, it will all depend on genetics as yo how much lean muscle you add to your frame. I hesitate to use the word "bulk" because that to me sounds like a wright gain that is part muscle, part something else, and lacking in definition. (Not something I care for myself.)

Clare

vickinoland said:
Thanks for the heads up Trixoo, on the Meso 1, I indeed think I will do that. This has been a fun day reading all the reply's. I love the feedback, thanks so much. And you know the Gym Style is probably one that I dont have so I am gonna go and get that set soon. To me Cathe is a personal trainer's trainer, I just love her programs. Thanks again for the helpful hint on the meso 1, gains is just want I want.

If after the first week or so you feel you're losing muscle in M1, you could always jump to M2. And Janeyjoey (sp?) makes a good point. All the work you do in M1 prepares you for the heavier weighs in M2 and M3...your forearms in particular will gain a lot of strength allowing you to go heavier.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!

LOL, not sure I want to post my less than killer legs right now, maybe after Meso 1? Me too, my legs were always best and I never had any weight problem but now, its my skin that is failing me, its just not tight enough. I talked with a plastic surgeon even and he sugested adding more quad muscle to give more filling. And he said that it is a gulp...age thing, no matter how much working out you have done in the past, sooner or later the skin starts to sag. I am determined to give it my last all before just resigning my legs to age. So its off to STS I go and also Slow and Heavy.

Skin filler

LOL, not sure I want to post my less than killer legs right now, maybe after Meso 1? Me too, my legs were always best and I never had any weight problem but now, its my skin that is failing me, its just not tight enough. I talked with a plastic surgeon even and he suggested adding more quad muscle to give more filling. And he said that it is a gulp...age thing, no matter how much working out you have done in the past, sooner or later the skin starts to sag. I am determined to give it my last all before just resigning my legs to age. So its off to STS I go and also Slow and Heavy.

Hi vickinoland,

I love your thread a lot as i partially relate to it not from the skin ageing but from the weight loss point of view. Now I am considering trying the same rotation. Thanks to Janie for posting it.

I agree with users regarding endurance cycle help in lifting heavy. I have experienced that. When I switch from high reps cycle to heavy such as Muscle Max...it feels like smooth sailing for me :))

Do you think this will work for me:confused:? Would like to know other athletes/members thoughts on this.

To reply to the question asked about you being the only one to bulk, No you are not the only one. :)

Nathalie:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.