Would you run a race....

materialsgirl

Cathlete
...if you knew there was a good chance you'd finish LAST?

I posted earlier this week about how I signed up for a 5k that is tomorrow, and I'm really excited about it because it will be my first race (heck, my first RUN) in a long time. But I was just now looking at the race results for previous years of this same race and now I'm feeling incredibly insecure. This race has been pretty small in the past - not more than 150 runners. And the vast majority of them are running 10 minute miles or faster. Um. Yeah. I'm slow. I run 12 minute miles on a good day. There's a very REAL possibility that I'll be the last person to cross the the finish line tomorrow. I know that shouldn't bother me... but it does a little bit.

I need a pep talk y'all!!! *biting nails*

Emily, just the fact you are doing it makes you a winner already in my book! I guess for me, it would be a personal thing, when I competed in my bodybuilding contest, I went in knowing I was at a disadvantage, but I did not care. All that mattered is I showed up and pushed myself out of my comfort zone and challenged myself personally. I came in last place, but that was okay. To this day, I count this as one of my greatest accomplishments because I gave it my all.

So there! That was your little motivating pep talk. Who cares where you place, do not ever do something out of fear of placing last! Do the best you can do and you come in first place everytime.

*gee, thank you Tony Robbins for that enlightning little speech* but it's true! You have to do it.:D

Em, I'd feel the same way. But, remember you are doing the race for YOU, no one else, right? (But, that being said, I'd still feel a bit insecure if I was the last to cross the finsh line.) I doubt this helps! Let us know when you FINISH!!!!

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You DANCE!

Em - I wish I was closer and in some kind of running shape to "run" with you! Then we could both cross over last. ;) I'm sure I'd be feeling the same way as you right now if I was running alone. I agree with the other posters though, you are doing this for YOU. :) And we're all here cheering you on!

Hi Em,

I'm having the same feeling about a triathlon that I've entered for June, but I'm doing it anyway. I know I'll regret it forever if I don't do it and finish. I know I can finish, I just don't think I'll finish well. There's actually a good chance that racers in the 70-99 age group may be helping out of the water. Should make for a great photo op!! :+ :+

You never know, adrenalin may take over and you'll do a lot better than you think. You run girl!! :) :)

>...if you knew there was a good chance you'd finish LAST?
>
>I need a pep talk y'all!!! *biting nails*

I did finish dead last one time. I had a mild urinary tract infection, and I totally pooped out at mile 2. Argh, the pain!

I walked the rest of the race and finished DEAD LAST.

When I got to the finish line, I stopped and curtseyed, then stepped daintily over it. I got a hearty round of applause.

I enjoyed that more than my successful runs. It was the most memorable fun run I ever did.

Don't worry about it. Fun Runs are first and foremost - FUN. Have a great time. :)

I would if I could run AT ALL! You've been struggling with piriformis syndrome and sciatica and this is your first run since then -- you haven't had time to train or anything! OMG that is GREAT!! I'm proud of you for signing up, I don't give a darn where you rank -- so there!

P.S. I once joined a bowling league (don't even ask:p ) knowing full well that I can't bowl to save myself. My average at the end of the season was 60 http://bestsmileys.com/blushing/6.gif

>P.S. I once joined a bowling league (don't even ask:p )
>knowing full well that I can't bowl to save myself. My average
>at the end of the season was 60
>http://bestsmileys.com/blushing/6.gif

Hey, you're a better bowler than I am! ;)

Thank you all for your inspiring words!

I have had the "privelege" of coming in 2nd to last in a race before (an 8 mile trail run) - the only reason I beat that one person was because she was running a marathon the next weekend and was "taking it easy". I, on the other hand, was running my @ss off trying to stay ahead of her. I only beat her by 10 seconds. :p I M SLO!!!

Anyway - you guys are right. I'm not doing this to beat anyone. I'm only doing it for me - as my entrance back into the running world. This will be a big thing for ME, even if all the other runners have eaten their bananas and bagels and gotten in their cars and gone home by the time I cross the finish line. ;) I just hope they they leave some bananas and bagels for ME! :D

Emily,

I was on the track team in high school and came in last every race. I came in second place once, but there were only 3 people in the race and the person I beat was my twin sister (who I knew I could beat anyway). I had the best time though and wonderful memories.

I'm doing a 10K later in the month and I'm scared that I'll come in last (ok, second to last because my twin is running w/me) but I really don't care. Running is about you and doing your best.

All you can do is the best you can do. That makes you a winner in my book.

Emily, do it for yourself. I agree, you are already a winner in my book. Who cares what order you finish, or if you even DO finish. Besides, we are right there with you in spirit and I, for one, don't care if you finish Sunday morning.

I've had the fear of being last many times and never once did it happen. Do your best Emily and I'll betcha you surprise yourself and are NOT the last one to cross that finish line!:)

Even if you are ARE last...who cares!? As long as you ran the best race YOU could run then you are a winner. Case closed. :+

Emily-you won't be last. The guy riding his bike to make sure everybody makes it thru the finish line will be last!

NOW GO DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gayle

>Emily-you won't be last. The guy riding his bike to make
>sure everybody makes it thru the finish line will be last!

[font color=red size +2]LOL!![/font]
>
>NOW GO DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

[font color=blue]I agree. Don't worry about what everyone else is doing. You have been dealing with injuries and just taking the plunge makes you a WINNER. Have fun and know that we are all behind you.[/font]

JJ

Run, Em. Just think how good it will feel to be out there! Run that race because you love to run. And because it doesn't matter if you beat anyone else out there - you've beaten piriformis, and that's the tough one!

Absolutely would. I entered my first tri with the attitude, "I'm going to do this. I'm going to finish. Even if I come in last."

Guess what??? I finished 657 out of 683 racers!!! For my age group I finished 99 out of 107. I'm very proud of the fact that I entered & FINISHED.

And not to hijack the thread but Gayle...let me tell ya, after the race I couldn't wait to do my next one but here in NJ the season ends early. Tris are addicting!!!

Well, the reverse of the questions is
would you run a race if you knew you wouldn't win it?

If you're not going to win some people might say why bother?

As all the other posters said, do it for YOU!:)

Just my $0.02 FWIW.

I've ran a lot of road races and in my experience no one is judgmental about other runners. You all are runners. You're there, it's for a good cause, and everyone is very friendly. Don't sweat it. Just do it and only worry about you. Just that fact that you're willing to give it a shot is great! Good luck and have fun.

I will just say Evily....you will NOT be last!!! Trust me, the adrenaline will pump you up and you will do awesome...!!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.