world's healthiest foods

cendrine

Cathlete
Hi everybody!

This is my first post on here, and I'm still figuring everything out. I hope this post works.... :eek:

I just wanted to share a website I have been using for free really healthy and really yummy recipes.

its www.whfoods.org

It is a free website, and if you scroll down a little there is a section for 100 quick and healthy recipes. I have tried probably half of them by now and have loved all of them and, having a nutrition background, I don't think they could be any healthier and still be yummy!

I hope some of you will try them some of the recipes, they have taken me off my recipe rut for good!

Cendrine

Hi Cendrine,

Thanks for the link. I love to find new places to get delicious healthy recipes. Do you have any favorites from their list of 100?

I know what you mean about getting in a recipe rut. I love finding something new, healthy and simple to make. I love to cook but with 3 children I don't always get as much time to prepare things as I would like.

Congratulations on your first post! It worked fine.

Alison

some of my favorites

Hi Alison,

I've liked all of the recipes I've tried, but here's a list of the ones that stood out especially:

10-minute Fruit and cheese salad
Salmon cucumber dill salad (very refreshing for a hot summer day!)
Red kidney bean soup with lime yoghurt (I ended up serving the soup cold because it was hot and it hit the spot!)
Steamed Salmon and Asparagus with mustard dill sauce
10-Minute Orange treat (make twice the recipe, ours was gone way too fast)
Very Berry delight (the chocolate custard tasted like truffles!)
Apple Tart (you'll only like this if you like nuts and dried fruits)

I have two little kids who actually eat all this stuff too! It's the best website I have come accross in a long time!

I hope your kids will love what you try from the recipes!

Hi Cendrine,

I have to tell you I made the Tropical Energy Smoothie from that website for breakfast and it was so good! I adapted it just a little for what I had at home and added some whey protein also. My husband said it was the best smoothie I have made so far!

Thanks again for sharing. I also thought I would pass on one of the food websites I really love. It's a blog about food and the women has wonderful recipes. Many are very healthy and have lots of whole foods for ingredients. A few are not as healthy but really good. ;)

http://www.elise.com/recipes/

I enjoy her weekly emails and I have saved many recipes I want to try. I hope it's helpful to someone out there. :D

Have a great day!
Alison

new website

Hi Alison,

I haven't tried the smoothie yet, but it does look good! I'm glad your husband liked it too!

The thing with these recipes is, they look so simple I always wonder if it's really going to be good, but then I make them and they just are delicious! Using fresh herbs and other ingredients that are seasonal of course makes everything taste great!

Thanks for the website you added, I have a huge group of people coming over this Friday for dinner and I don't know what to make. I think I'll surf this website and try something new for them!

Have a good day!

Tried a recipe of your website

Hey Alison,

I just cooked the chicken coconut curry with basil last night for my big group of that came over for dinner. I kept hoping it would turn out as good as it sounded because I had not ever made it before... I really should test recipes before exposing others to them.... :)

Anyway, it was a great hit! Even the self described picky eater loved it and wants the recipe!

Thanks for the website!

Cendrine,

I am glad you liked the site and very glad your dinner turned out well! I tend to make stuff without trying first also. It's risky but really fun when things turn out the way you hope they would. I haven't tried that recipe yet but will have to add it to the list of ones I plan to make.

I did make this recipe last night from the Simply Recipes blog. It's healthy, different and really good...

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/007288watermelon_salad_with_feta_or_cotija.php

I have made a big list of the recipes to try from the site you posted too. Now just to find the time :p

Alison

LOL Tracy I am sorry to send you to those amazing looking cupcakes!! They don't exactly belong on this Healthy Recipes forum do they? :D Well maybe they are healthy compared to making them from a box and a can of icing right?? It is a great blog with fun recipes. Glad you enjoyed it!

Alison

Hi gals, thanks for all the links and to these websites. These look like they will give me some great, healthy options. :)

You're stretching me....

It's funny, I haven't ever been naturally drawn to using fruits in savory recipes, but they are growing on me and I do get more adventurous as I discover that they do taste good.

It took me a while to even think about trying raspberries in my salad and now I love it!

So, I think I will just have to try this watermelon craziness...:)

My husband does not touch watermelon (sensitive stomach) but my 4 year old son and 2year old daughter love it. So maybe I will make it for us and see who likes it....

It helps to hear that you liked it, but I'm still skeptical...:confused:;)

I'll let you know!

Cupcakes

Alison,
I had to make the cupcakes. I used Splenda though and used mini cupcakes liners instead of the full size. They were an absolute hit with my family. My 4 kids devoured them as did my husband. I was good and had only one. They are so small that one doesn't really count, right?? :)

Thanks again.
Tracy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.