Workouts during times of intense emotional stress

Currently, I am going through some intense job related stress. It's so tough it creates some physical maladies such as itchy skin and hair loss. I find that at the end of the day, I try to do my workouts (I'm at beginner/intermediate level but pretty good w/ the weights) and I don't seem to have a ton of energy. I KNOW workouts can ultimately help this, but how do you get over the initial energy drain? Some days I find it so difficult to get moving. Any advice would be appreciated.

Peace, Love, & Muscles

Hi, Fitcounselor. You are right, intuitively, that effective workouts can assist in stress management. My father made a comment once that will always stick with me: "Emotional energy is the hardest to replace." Workouts can help you do that, but it takes time and a bit of patience to build it.

I think at this stage, you have to do a bit of "acting as if". Don't expect to be charged with energy as you BEGIN the workout; acknowledge that you're tired at the end of a long stress-laden day, and look to your workout to re-energize yourself. I'm always wiped out at the end of a workday (I work in domestic violence crime investigation and prosecution, so I know a little bit about job stress), but at the end of my workout session I'm rarin' to go. I think if you try to adopt that mental approach ("I'm exhausted, and when I end my workout I'll feel much better") you'll be in a more realistic place.

I would also suggest that you design, for the next three weeks, a "Fitcounselor's Fave FUN Workout Rotation". Choose the workouts that you enjoy doing for their own sake, rather than any specific body-shaping benefits (not to imply that that's what you're doing right now), with a good balance among weights, cardio and flexibility, so that you'll have a schedule that you will look forward to doing. (Also consider, if you haven't done so already, getting Cathe's new "Stretch Max", which has three nice, extended flexibility routines that are truly relaxing physically, verbally {very muted and limited vocalization on Cathe's part} and musically.)

If that works, I'd suggest on maintaining your schedule while focusing in making moderate increases in intensity. High intensity iin cardio and weights spur the production of stress-relieving hormones that last a long time after the session.

HTH - good luck!

A-Jock

I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a rought time....

IMO, you just have to push through the energy drain to get moving coz I have found that, atleast for myself, once I am moving I feel sooo much better almost immediately! I know it can be tough to start but if you can just push through it and pretty much FORCE yourself, you should definately feel better in the end.

I hope things get better for you soon.

Have a great work out!

~Wendy~

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?WENDYMIN

http://lilypie.com/days/050519/1/0/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

I understand all too well where you're coming from. My head is just starting to get above water with personal and professional stressed. Although there is more to come.

Don't give up. Just a thought if you can do it - try switching your workouts to morning. It will help you face the day and you'll get it in before you're zapped emotionally.

aye! aye!

i'm having one of those days right now. i'm in college full time and work close to full time and i'm about to have one of those pesky mental breakdowns from the stress of working with kids my age who act 5.

What i find helps me, is to start one of cathe's dvd's and just listen to that intro music. then i get my workout gear all together, and tell myself "if i can just get through the warmup", and usually by the time the warmup is done, i feel energized enough to keep on going.:)

maddie

Thanks so much Aquajock, Wendymin72, jcm, maddie, & jdoll! Those are some great suggestions! It's nice to know that I am not the only one with this stuff! Aquajock, your reply sounds like you are a professionally trained counselor! I like your idea for the "fitcounselor favorite workouts"! Although I am not a counselor yet, that is my goal. Hopefully, I can pass on good habits to my students! Wendymin72, you are right about workouts giving more energy! That is important to remember! Jcm, the morning workouts are a great idea! I dont' think I could do a full blown workout but I could probably do 10 minutes or so...in fact that might help! I hope you get through your stressful times (we have a secret weapon!). Maddie, I worked throughout college and full time in retail for one semester gave me nothing but a diet coke habit and straight "C"s. I give you a lot of credit! If you are at a residential university, there are a lot of students in their twenties that have nothing to do but screw around and get stupid every night. Hang in there because college is worth it! Try to find the "adult" areas. Thanks for the support Jdoll. I like your bunny/heff pics! What a cool halloween idea!

We will all get through this!

Peace, Love, & Muscles (and more peace)

Fitcounselor

Fitnut:

This is a post right up my street.

I suffer from depression and mood disorders, and the stress has been making me lose hair too, and sometimes such terrible energy lows just as you are experiencing.

What you need to do at times like these, and they are "times" because it is never continuously overwhelming, is change your attitude. What Annette said earlier I have said so many times on these forums. Sometimes what you need is to ditch whatever rotation you are on and just think "self-care." Self-care is paramount to anyone suffering extreme stress. Your exercise falls under that category, but so does taking a day or two or a week off because you need to sleep or cuddle up on the couch with a significant other and zone out with a good movie or book.

Sometimes exercise is not the answer and rest is. You be the judge of that and allow yourself to take all the rest breaks you need. Baby yourself when you need to.

On the other hand, it is true that regular exercise can exhilarate you and boost your mood and energy and confidence levels. You have to expend energy to make energy. So here's where you do exactly what Annette suggested: exercise for self care and pure pleasure. If you feel you do not have the energy for an all-out Cathe cardio, don't sweat it. Concentrate on the weights, or whatever you feel interested in doing. So what if you do only weights and stretching for several weeks. If it keeps you moving, that is all that matters. You can pick up the cardio again when you feel up to it. You write your own prescription here.

If you feel you can manage a cardio, go with the one with the best music because it will lift your spirits, and energy will start to pulse through you as you keep moving to it. Pick an old favourite. For me this would be Step Blast, Rythmic Step or Powermax. Pure fun. And no-one cares if those are the only cardios you do for a while. As long as you feel happier about 20 mins into the workout and afterwards, then all the "rules" about "crossstraining" and including "interval work," blah, blah, blah, can go hang!

A great cardio to leave you feeling exhilarated and not as if Cathe has wiped the floor with you is her new "Low Max." Last Friday I felt physically sick with the jitters, anxiety was coursing through my blood stream and I wanted to do nothing. I knew there was no way I could manage the Imax I had designated as the cardio for the day, so instead I put Low Max in and within 20 minutes I felt so much better.
I felt fabulous when I finished this workout and wonderfully energetic. I wouldn't have survived Imax, it would have been too stressful and I probably would have broken down in tears of frustration at my lack of abilities with the blasts. I see no point in setting yourself up for failure. It won't help your mood any. So, set yourself up for success.

Recently I have been concentrating on Slow & Heavy and thoroughly enjoying it. I was not having much luck with cardio either: I too had no energy for it. So, I'm still doing 2 or 3 a week, to keep my hand in, but I am really achieving great results with the S&H, which is a real mood boost. I'm lifing the same as Cathe or more than her on all exercises. Go me!

So, follow your heart and do exactly what and how much you want to do. Step Blast every day this week? Fine. Weights daily and no cardio? Also fine. Movietime instead of Cathe? Fabulous!

Wishing you all the best. And also, try the special shampoos called Nioxin, shampoo and scalp therapy (conditioner). They may help with the hair loss.

Clare

I have been exhausted from working out of the home this week. Yesterday I tried doing Power Hour on FitTv, an easy workout, but man, I was so weak and tired yesterday. First, I have not been able to eat 6 times a day while working sales. Lucky to get a bite to eat at all so I have lost 3 pounds...like I need to???? I have had 2 days off and though I ate well during my 2 days off, I think the past week has still drained me and put me behind with my workouts. I donot have the energy to push myself. So when I get done with sales, I will have to catch up. I can't workout without the energy that food gives me (6x's a day) so I am not going to put myself in a situation where I will just see stars and pass out.
I am just very frustrated, can't you tell? Any ideas?

Charlotte~~

fitcounsler, that sound like some major stress you have been under. This suggestion may sound a little lame but it has helped me at times. When I am feeling really on edge, I will chose a kickboxing workout and who or what ever is stressing me will get the crap beat out of them during my workout. It feels so good sometimes.

Cathe's new Kick Max could fit the bill for this idea. You can make this workout be as hard or as easy as you like.

Hope things will get better for you soon, Renee

You've already gotten some great advice here but I wanted to chime in with a few tips that I have used in the past.

After a very stressful day, get into your workout clothes. Start with a few minutes of quiet music, stretch, relaxation, breathing, etc. Give yourself just a bit a relax and veg out.

I always do at least the first fifteen minutes of my workout no matter what happens or what my motivation level is. You can get yourself to do anything for fifteen minutes. By then, I am usually into the workout, more motivated and in a better mood. If I am not and I am really pulling to stop the workout, sometimes I do. If you are fifteen minutes in and you still are dreading it enoug to press "stop," then maybe your body is telling you something.

You may also consider a different workout schedule. Shorter workouts are sometimes easier to get through, quicker to motivate, etc. Every other day might be all that you can do right now. Try different things and see what works. Push yourself but don't push yourself beyond your limits.

When I am really lacking motivation or energy, I turn to my "favorites" and only my favorites. You are more likely to do the workout if you like it and you are most likely to stay motivated and give it that little extra that you might not have if you knwo that you are going to have a good wokrout in the end.

Turn the music up & elevate your mood :)

Don't be afraid to rest if you need it. Sometimes you really do need rest more than anything.

Adjust your diet to have good foods, healthy choices, good water intake, etc. This helps when energy is low (and stress is high!). It takes extra time to plan, etc., but in the grand scheme, it will help to spend a couple extra hours per week planning and packing.

Good Luck,
Christine

Hi, fit:

I am sorry to hear you are having such a rough time. I have gone through periods like that. They are really difficult. I think you have gotten some great advice here, I just wanted to add a couple of suggestions.

1. Can you work out at a different time? Maybe in the AM or at lunch... AM is best if you are seeking energy.

2. Have you tried Yoga or Pilates? I don't practice these (I don't hear really well and can't do anything that requires my eyes to be closed), but they are supposed to be really great for relaxation.

3. Do you meditate? This is hard to do when you are stressed. What I did was buy one of those daily meditation books and then just kind of stuck my finger in it each day to get a new message. This might seem corny, but it's important to send yourself positive messages.

Good luck, and hang in there!!

Take care,
Marie

Hey Clare,

Those are some awsome ideas! It's funny you should say "Movietime". For some strange reason, I have been catching the TBS morning movie before work/school and watching it as I get ready. I have chalked it up to escapism. The good news is that I have been so serious that I forgot to include some of the goofier, less academic stuff in my life. Part of this problem is my own balance to incude goofiness. :+ I have been using the Nioxin too. It seems to help but the hair loss is still there. I like your stuff about not following rules. I think you're right. This gives me some great ideas. THanks for your help!

Peace, Love, & Muscles

Renee McFar,

That is NOT silly at all! I have the kickbox from CTX and Billy Blanks stuff. It does do something for your spirit to throw imaginary punches at imaginary enemies. In fact, I think I might try that tonight. Thanks for the info!

Peace, Love, & Muscles

red mct,

I have thought about Yoga and Pilates. I might check into that. Meditation is awsome and I forgot about it. I might try that this weekend or possibly before school during the week. Positive messages are WAY important! THe advice you guys are giving me is just too good! I'm going to have to save it for when I become a guidance counselor!

Peace, Love, & Muscles

Timber 99,

I agree. Good nutrition is crucial for dealing with stressful times. Music affects my mood BIG TIME! I've been recently thinking that I need more Van Halen in my life. I will probably add in anti-stress tea as well. Thanks for the advice!

Peace, Love, & Muscles

I would add only one thing to all the great advice given above
Keep up with your workouts, do whatever workouts feels good not the ones you thnk you HAVE to do, try any relaxation techniques that might work , monitor your med reactions AND CUT YOURSELF SOME SLACK!! No one goes through life without encountering times like these. As long as you're trying to move yourself in a positive direction, you have won MORE than half the battle. Be gentle with yourself.

I am right there with you in more ways than you know and I'll be sending some positive energy your way.
Lois

"Don't forget to breathe!"

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.