Workout room help

beautifulsoul

Cathlete
Hello everyone, I want to put a workout area in my unfinished basement. Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions for flooring, or what to do with the concrete walls? Thanks. :)

Hi Adina,

I have my workout area in a little corner in our unfinished basement as well. For now the concrete walls are painted white. I eventually would like to put up some mirrors to watch my form while working out. I bought a bunch of the workout mats and pieced them together over the concrete floor. I'm hoping at some point in time I can get better flooring. One thing I found out with those is that with all the moving around I do on them that the areas where I workout the most eventually split apart and I have to keep pulling them together. Not too long ago I mixed them all up and pieced them back together hoping that I would find a combination that worked so I didnt' have the splitting any longer. It helped a little but it's starting to happen again. If you have the money to spend, I would highly recommend investing in good flooring that will last a long time.

Good luck and have fun designing your workout space.

Brenda

I, too, have the black rubber mats that puzzle-piece together. I have them over carpet, so they don't move around too much. One thing I did to keep them together was to tape them together with wide clear packing tape on the underside. I have quite a large area, so I did it in two sections so I would be able to move them easier if I needed to. Then to keep the two large sections together, I made sure I used one long edging piece that kept the two together. I know that it's hard to describe, but if you get the mats, you'll understand. The mat pieces weren't cheap, but it made a huge difference to my knees! Good luck and have fun creating your space :D
Paula

Thanks, everyone. I am looking into the aerobic flooring. :) I have a 7 ft. mirror I can put down there as well. My mom and I have been doing STS together and are having a blast; it just feels a little cramped in the living room. I am open to any other ideas or thoughts. Thanks.

I'm lucky enough to have a large space in our finished basement. The one thing that I wish I'd considered is the lighting. My TV is in a corner and the majority of the lighting (overhead and wall) is in the other areas.

When I used to go to a gym, everything was well lit, even the corner areas. It does seem to add to the energy -- especially if you have a mirror or mirrors.

I put plate glass mirrors up on the 2 smaller walls in my work-out space and I love it! My next project is to get some pictures of myself with Cathe and the Chicago RT so I can hang them on my other walls for inspiration!

Have fun with your dedicated work-out room!!

I used tileflex flooring because it offered the give needed for aerobics, was ideal for covering concrete and added minimal height. My ceilings in the basement are low. The flooring was the toughest decision.

I painted the cinder block white and added an obnoxious orange for fun. Then added the ceiling, mirror and lighting.

Attachments

• DSC02198.jpg
    DSC02198.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC02202.jpg
    DSC02202.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 45
I love my puzzle mats, I got them from GreatMats.Com and chose the 7/8" green/tan (for an 8X10 area). I had the black mats from Walmart but they definitely did not absorb enough impact and I started feeling it in my knees and back.

They did pull apart so I put cabinet/silverware drawer liner on the floor under the mats; the semi-tacky texture helps to keep them in place, but I did have to play with the placement of it - it needs to go where the most pressure will be, and I needed to buy a decent-sized piece of carpet (from Big Lots) so I could use the slide/glide discs.

My only issue is that I can't really spin on the ball of my foot (handy for Cardio Kicks but it's modify-able) but if I had the sleek, wood-like exercise floor I would no doubt slip on it from the dripping sweat!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.