Working out with pets

mudhiker

Hi,
Thought I'd tell you my latest adventure with my dog, Mandy. She is a border collie so I have to take her out running everyday for at least 3 miles. And since she runs so fast I bike while she runs. (Sometimes I run too but not now.) Well anyway last Friday we headed out and picked up one of her pals to go with us. Bullseye, a mix boxer/rottwiller/cattle dog/dalmation. A good hinzes 97. Well they were having a great time running like the wind and I was concentrating on trying to keep up with them when Bullseye shot across my path, hitting my front tire. Needless to say, I wiped out but good. Hitting my head,face,wrist and knee. What a wild exciting time. After I layed there for a minutes-luckily it was a country road and no one was driving down it-I got up, straightened my wheel and got back on and finished our workout. Kept my eyes on the dogs a bit better this time.
Do any of you workout with pets. They are great fun to workout with,if you keep your eyes on them. She always motivates me to workout by whining and pawing me till I take her out. And if I do a video with floor work she likes to come over and lay on me. Makes it kind of difficult at times. But who wouldn't like to be loved so?
Mudhiker.

Ouch!

You poor thing! Oh my gosh, it hurts me thinking about it! We have a 15 year old Cat named Chelsea that loves to sit on my stomach when I do AB work or crawl under me when I am doing planks! That's one way to keep me up there! ;-) Hope you are healing well.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

I'm so sorry about your accident, I hope all is healing!

My boyfriend likes to bike with our dog. He found a contraption in a Dr. Fosters catalog that hooks on a bike (under the seat) and has a spring and a short piece of rope and latch that hooks to a harnass the dog wears. It's hard to describe, but it keeps the dog fairly close and out of harms way. Just a suggestion.
Jenn

You are lucky you weren't hurt. I also exercise with my dog, Sadie. She is a cocker spaniel. She loves to run with me. In fact she gets so excited after I put her leash on her she starts panting and pulling really hard on the collar so we can get started. It amazes people that she stays on the sidewalk with me and does not wander. If she hears the word "walk" she gets really excited and starts jumping on me. Also when I do chest presses on my bench she loves to jump on my stomach and lay there. Aren't pets wonderful? It is amazing how they wiggle their way into your heart and become part of the family just like a child.

I hope you recover quickly from your injuries.

Thanks JennC,
But I wouldn't have the heart to put my dog on a leash. She's 5 and has been free to run all her life. She minds very well. When a car is coming I just say "over" and she comes. Border Collies are amazingly smart. She can run for 3 miles at 20 miles an hour straight. The entire time she has a big smile on her face and every 15 seconds she looks up at me. She keeps her eyes on me well. Bullseye does now. But thanks so much for your suggestion. If I lived in the city and did this I might have to use one. We workout on a 3 mile, straight stretch of paved road, that's only used by its few neighbors and vineyard workers.(there are 5 vinyards down it) Pretty wonderful place to run. I just moved here in June and am still awed by it's beauty.
And by the way, I'm healing nicely. Just a bit of scabs now. Thanks. Mudhiker.

P.S. I should change my name to Deserthiker now that I've moved across the state.

Ouch!
That is a funny story, but only because everyone was ok when it was all over. Good thing no one was looking! That's probably the last thing you needed to worry about, but it's probably the 1st thing I would have thought of...

Anyway, I wanted to share my not so painful sounding (for me anyway) story. I have a curious little 5lb. chihuahua, and the first time I ran on our treadmill I heard a little screech and caught a glimpse of my little dog flying across the room. Of course I started screaming and wanted to cry, but everyone was ok. It was pretty funny...

LSP~I just had a visual of that poor lil' dog flying across the room. I can't quit laughing! I'm sorry. I'm glad he's okay!!!!! I bet he doesn't workout with YOU anymore! :7

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

LSP-Poor little guy. I can imagine how both of you felt at the time. Now it's funny to think about. You should send that story to Readers Digest. That's a riot.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.