Working out on cement floor

DebMac

Cathlete
Hi guys,
I just moved my workout space to the basement, and am wondering how to avoid injuring myself working out on the cement basement floor. I don't have tons of money to spend on new flooring. I've heard about interlocking floor mats....do any of you use these on cement floors? Are they cushiony enough to do intense Cathe & Mindy cardio?Any advice on what to get and cheapest place to get it would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Deb:)

I have the foam mats and really like them.I doubled up on them to provide enough cushioning for my knees. MIne were $2.99 each and Ithink I got 18 at Kmart. Others have gotten them for less at places like HOme Depot.

All I can say is...ouch!
I have the interlocking mats, and they're fine for absorbing shock on a wooden floor. One alternative, which might work if you know someone with carpentry skills, is to build some kind of wooden platform. I've seen small versions of them for sale, very pricey for a small workout space.

Personally, if I were to work out on a cement floor, I'd stick to kickboxing and low impact, though with step, since the impact is on the step itself, that's where you'd want to get some more cushioning--perhaps by putting some mats under the step itself?

I workout in the basement and its cement floor there too. I bought the interlocking mats at Home Depot. They actually weren't too expensive, the nice thing is you can start out with a few and build up and increase your space as you have money! it definitely works for me for all aerobic activity. I do still like to use an additional mat for floor work for more comfort, but its not necessary.

Jolene
:D

I also workout in my basement with the cement floor. I jump on carpeting. do you think that it enough or should I invest in these floor mates?

I was working out on a carpet remnant until I got my flooring. Its definitely better than nothing. But some kind of floor I think will provide more absorbtion for the shock to your joints.

So to minimize future pain or joint (knee) problems I would (and did) invest in flooring with a little more cushion. i'm not jumping on pillows, its still quite firm but it does allow some shock absorbtion.

This is all coming from my Chiropractic husband by the way. He is the one that got me the mats and said cement and carpet were bad for my joints. So there you have it.

Jolene

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.