Working out at 60-80%

tboman

Hi Cathe,
I just read an article on how JoDee Messina lost weight. She ate every two hours and used a heart rate monitor. The article said that using a heart rate monitor is very helpful because it lets you know if you are over 80%. It said that it is better to stay between 60-80% to burn fat. Anything over that would burn stored energy, not fat. This is of coarse my interpretation of the article (in case someone else has read and I have my facts mixed up). Do you think it is beneficial to get a heart rate monitor. Would that really help to lose weight? I have a hard time figuring out if I am working in the right zone.

Thank you,
Tracy

Hi Tracy! I personally don't think that heart rate monitors are necessary if you are in good physical condition. That's not to say that there is anything wrong with using them if you choose to. I prefer perceived exertion because I feel that you are more connected to how you feel when you workout rather than constantly doing a few moves and looking at your wrist. When you are using perceived exertion simply strive to feel winded and challenged but not gasping for air (unless of course the workout is an interval workout). Hope this helps!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.