wokrout burnout

singinggoddess

Cathlete
Are any of you experiencing exercise burnout? I think I have overtrained my body. I very seldom take rest breaks and I have had this cold for about 3 weeks, so I think I have really messed up my immune system from working out too much and being too dang obsessive with the whole thing. I am totally done right now with weights and all of the cardio. I am going to do yoga for about a month and let my body recover and stop beating it up for once. I am really annoyed with myself that I do that to my body. Anyway, I love yoga and have a lot of yoga tapes and am excited about taking a break from all of the kick butt workouts. The thing is I have actually gained weight, probably about 5 lbs, after all of this exercise, very frustrating. I guess what they say about less being more is probably true in some cases. Are any of you going through this and finding that your workouts are running your life?

Yes!! My yoga class has been one of the best things I've ever done (for lots of reasons }( ). Some weeks I don't do much other than my two days a week of yoga, and I'm still benefiting tremendously. I'm trying to get back into the swing of things after a major, major slump. I almost always get back into exercise overzealously and either injure myself badly, or get so sick and tired of it that I quit. I'm slowly (very slowly) learning how to be more balanced, and realizing that if I want to take days off here and there, well, it won't kill me and may just help me a lot :D. I just need to realize I can't take 10 days off in a row all of the time.......

Sara
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=sblordita&x=0&y=0

It's very easy to overtrain esp. if you do Cathe all the time. I have gone through several periods of overtraining and since hitting 40, I've noticed I don't recover as quickly as I used to. I should do more yoga (I have way too many yoga workouts!) but I usually prefer to just cut back, do easier cardio and strength vids, and lots of walking and stretching. After a week or two of downtime I can go back to the intensity with a lot more energy and enthusiasm. I'm sure your month off will do you wonders.

I am going through it this morning. I am tired and think i have a bladder infection.I have a sore lower gut and a back pain.
Lots a water. Guess i will call the dr.But, I am feeling guilty.
I am usually in the basement in about 10 min.i am still deciding.
I understand the weight gain thing completely. But, all my clients tell me how much weight i have lost.I look at them and tell them . Tell the scale that.
Anne

I feel the same way. I cannot get the pace down of challenging my body without overdoing it and/or resting without feeling like I have lost the momentum I worked so hard to build up.

I got this book about "Backsmart Fitness," by Adam Weiss and it had a lot of good back stretches that seem to help my overall burnout feeling, but it's still there.

That's great that you will do yoga for a month. I may try that myself!
-Barb:)

singinggoddess, whenever I feel this way I take a week off. When I start again, everything is a challenge and that makes it feel more fresh! And after a rest week, my muscles are more toned; strange, huh? It must be all that rest and repair time.

I love yoga, it makes me feel so good! I am going to throw it back in my rotation next month.

Missy

I've never experienced exercise burnout and I am 50 years old and workout every day, mostly to Cathe videos. The key for me is that I keep my sessions to 60-70 minutes...not 1.5 to 3 hours.

Edited to say that yes, the scale will say I have gained some weight...but I've never been leaner.

I completely understand. I was feeling the same way last week and FORCED myself to work out last Monday and Wednesday. Finally I woke up Thursday and said "I'm taking the rest of the week off". So, I did and started up again this Monday. I have had much more energy for my workouts so far this week. I also told myself that I needed to stop obsessing about my workouts AND my eating. I was getting to the point where I wasn't happy anymore because it was all I could think about. So, I've been eating some of the things I really like and not beating myself up for it and if I'm too tired to workout I'll take the day off and it's like a tremendous weight lifted off of my shoulders. And I'll probably gain a few pounds with the change, but that's fine. You only have one life right? I'm going to do what is best for me and what makes me happy.

Just my two cents.

Katie

Hi Susan! I experienced burnout this summer. Had suffered from 2 back injuries as a result of overtraining. And all this happened right before the roadtrip!!:eek: What I decided to do was to reassess my routine. Now I workout hard for 4 weeks, then do an endurance week & then the 6th week take off. During the week off I'll only incorporate one day of yoga, one day of stretch & the other day pilates that's it. Its working very well for me.

Enjoy your yoga & much needed rest! Kathy:D

PS: A great book to read is Smart Exercise by Covert Bailey.

Hi Susan:

Last week I was forced to take 2-3 days off as I had bronchitis and my lungs were on fire. Now that I'm feeling better, I've tried to make up for lost time and it is too much, too soon. Saturday I ran and did PLB. Sunday I did PUB. Yesterday was HSC. Today was IMAX 3. I really had to force myself to get through IMAX 3 today. I'm very clearly not all the way recovered (I'm still on antibiotics for crying out loud), and I need to give my body more time. I hate feeling exhausted ALL the time. Exercise is supposed to give you energy! Tomorrow is for sure a day off, and I need to either take 2 rest days per week or scale it back for a while.

So, no, you're not alone!

Hi Foodie Sue! Your body is probably screaming at you for working out that hard especially after having bronchitis. Take the rest of the week off & that's an order & I ain't kidding!! LOL Get better soon. Kathy:D

Hi Susan!

I don't know if you remember my posting from a few weeks ago, about cutting back a bit and feeling good about it? It's been a struggle mentally but physically I'm great! It's about a month and I have not gained or really noticed a body change at all. There have been tough mental days but I have just worked through them. My advice would be to take an entire week off and then, for the rest of the month, do really light enjoyable workouts. Then pick up with moderate to intense the following month. I'm no expert but it's worked for me.

Good luck!

Sparrow
www.scifichics.com

Agree with most everyone here. DEFINETELY listen to your body and take a week off.

Years ago a guy friend who was in awesome shape taught me how critical time off was to his working out. And believe me he was in AMAZING shape!

I find my body does so much better with time off (particulary for lifting).

I am so with you all. I had to take 2 weeks off after having varicose vein surgery and I started back for a week and now I have a cold I'm trying to get over. I'm just getting frustrated with my results. I do not need to lose any weight, but I need to tone up my hips and butt. I have been doing Cathe for 18 months and I love my arms, but my butt is just not what I want it to be. I think I'm going to take the plunge and join a gym and get a personal trainer. I'm glad I'm not the only one out there feeling like this.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.