Wisdom Teeth Percocet or Vicodin ?

Janis

Cathlete
Hi - I need a little input

I just got home with my ds19 who had his wisdom teeth (lowers only) removed today. The dr. gave me 'scripts for both percocet and vicodin. He told me to start with the Perc and then switch him to the vicodin. I was balking a little bit, so he said, "okay, just fill the vicodin, you can always fill the percocet later if he needs it."

So, he's had one dose of Vicodin, and he is still in pain. I gave him a second one about an hour earlier than scheduled.

I am thinking I might run out and get the percocet after all - but it is 25 minutes to the nearest pharmacy - and - well - I am hoping the vicodin kicks in.

What is everyone's experience with wisdom teeth, vicodin and percocet? ( I am probably spelling every word wrong...so sorry.)

Everyone's pain tolerance is different. Plus his surgery may have been extra tough if he was impacted. I see nothing wrong with him taking the Percocet, I just hate that you have to drive 25 mins to get it. Is there someone who can get it for you? Is he using an ice bag?

When I had mine cut out (4 wisdom and 2 regular pulled in order to get to the wisdom) I had the percocet for about a day and then went to the vicodin. When I got home and woke up on the sofa all I could say was "Pain" and took a percocet and went out like a light.

Susan

Thanks Cat - I just needed someone to tell me to go and do it!

It is a handwritten prescription, and being a controlled substance AND at this point after office hours, it can't be faxed in.

I'm a dummy not getting both of them filled at the same time. :eek:

When I had mine cut out (4 wisdom and 2 regular pulled in order to get to the wisdom) I had the percocet for about a day and then went to the vicodin. When I got home and woke up on the sofa all I could say was "Pain" and took a percocet and went out like a light.

Susan

OH OH OH - thank you so much for your current memory - I almost feel like weeping - my ds just said to me - "please just knock me out I'd like to sleep through this pain."
:(:(:(

heading out now - that way he can sleep tonight. thank you both so very much.

Last edited:
I was 19 when I had all 4 cut out. I don't recall it being that bad. Everyone is different though. I recall 2 vicodin at a time for the 1st day, and then nothing after that, just stiffness. I do remember DH ( who was BF at the time) watching me drool chocolate pudding all down my chin. And he still married me!! What a keeper!! Hope your son feels better in the morning. My bet is he does.

Nan

I was 19 when I had all 4 cut out. I don't recall it being that bad. Everyone is different though. I recall 2 vicodin at a time for the 1st day, and then nothing after that, just stiffness. I do remember DH ( who was BF at the time) watching me drool chocolate pudding all down my chin. And he still married me!! What a keeper!! Hope your son feels better in the morning. My bet is he does.

Nan

Thanks Nan -

Now whenever I see your posts I am going to imagine what you look like and then imagine you with chocolate pudding running down your chin! :p

I ended up meeting my husband at the gas station, he ran than prescription the rest of the way into town. Sort of like a relay.

DS19 is grumpy and claims nothing is working!? I told him to give it some time.

He did have some relief with the two vicodin...then as that was wearing off he took one percocet. This mish-mash of 'scripts makes me nervous.

:confused:

Janis, I hope your DS is feeling better soon! Oral procedures can be so painful, but I'm sure the Percocet will bring quick relief. ;)

Hi - I need a little input

I just got home with my ds19 who had his wisdom teeth (lowers only) removed today. The dr. gave me 'scripts for both percocet and vicodin. He told me to start with the Perc and then switch him to the vicodin. I was balking a little bit, so he said, "okay, just fill the vicodin, you can always fill the percocet later if he needs it."

So, he's had one dose of Vicodin, and he is still in pain. I gave him a second one about an hour earlier than scheduled.

I am thinking I might run out and get the percocet after all - but it is 25 minutes to the nearest pharmacy - and - well - I am hoping the vicodin kicks in.

What is everyone's experience with wisdom teeth, vicodin and percocet? ( I am probably spelling every word wrong...so sorry.)

I personally would stick with Advil+Tylenol (you can mix them, as long as you have no stomach troubles, and they really knock out pain when used together) plus acupuncture. Acupuncture works very well for dental pain. Some dentists are performing acupuncture for that, or you can go to someone that just does acupuncture.

I personally would stick with Advil+Tylenol (you can mix them, as long as you have no stomach troubles, and they really knock out pain when used together) plus acupuncture. Acupuncture works very well for dental pain. Some dentists are performing acupuncture for that, or you can go to someone that just does acupuncture.

would also give this a try only from experience. i recently had a broken/infected wisdom tooth pulled and was on crazy amounts of antibotics and vicoden. i thought maybe the antibotics were making me tired etc but actually it was the vicoden. once i stopped taking them i was feeling good again. they really sucked my energy up and just made it hard to do basic household chores without feeling like i needed a nap.

but that is just my experience.

kassia

Ugh, I had my wisdom teeth out earlier this year and let me tell you, it was not fun!!! I took the percocet. BUT, a combination of ice packs and a heating pad was what worked for me. (Although I can't remember if you do ice first or heat?, maybe someone else knows). Stock up on pudding, mashed potatoes and ice cream :)

Janis-

Hugs to your DS! My DS just had his taken out a week ago. All 4 were impacted with the 2 lower needing some bone removal too. OUCH! We got a script for Vicodin and 600 mg Ibuprofen but DS only took the Ibuprofen. It took the edge off the pain enough that he didn't need the Vicodin.

Lots of icing then heat, pudding, jello, cream of wheat, soup etc.... He is finally now eating solids food.

Hi - thanks everyone -

I am thinking I should have asked for input BEFORE I got in the trenches!

He slept through the night, woke up and took another percocet and is icing again. I think, based on your recommendations, I'll have him start using heat too. (he is looking less like an angry bear, and more like a vulnerable little boy.)

I was surprised his pain threshold is so low. I thought he would do fine with ibuprofen/acetaminophen combination too - which is what worked for me after my horseback riding accident. And is what both DH and I used for our own wisdom teeth. And is why I was balking at the 'scripts, but he did have some bone shaved down like NinjaMom's DS - gosh it is just so hard to know how much pain someone is in. Even a scale of 1 to 10 doesn't work because everyone's 10 would be wildly different.

I actually know a Master Acupuncturist, she lives down the road, I'll ask her to come around this afternoon to do a treatment, I don't think she usually makes house calls, but in this case I hope she will. I would have never considered acupuncture for dental pain! Thanks Morningstar.

Janis, I wouldn't use heat unless your oral surgeon says it's ok. Ice is usually best esp with in the first 24 hours. He has formed clots over the surgical areas and heat may cause the bleeding to start again.

Hi Catherine

Oh my - yes - that makes sense, thanks. Usually I am more "together" when the boys are ill, or at least more prepared, I feel like I am spinning my wheels with this.

He's asleep now.

My ding dang freezer has a tendency to turn off - it is a lower freezer drawer with a design flaw, the temperature dial protrudes and if you dig around in the freezer and aren't conscious of the dial and flattening everything back down, after repeated opening and closings of the drawer it will gradually works it self to the off position, SO - all the frozen peas I bought are mushy - damn - next up is to make up some comfortable ice bags.

I am babbling.:eek:

When I had mine out (all four at once, in preparation for braces, and two had already started having problems) I didn't take anything. Yes, there was discomfort, but it wasn't intolerable, and actually not as bad as pre-surgery, when two of the teeth were having problems.

Probably depends on how bad they were. I was in my 40's and they were sideways under the gums with the roots of some regular teeth in the way. They had to pull two of my other teeth before they could cut them out. I don't think tylenol would have made a dent in the pain for me. I took vicodin about twice a day for a couple of weeks or more after. Hope your DS is feeling better now and has a speedy recovery. I can see how it would be hard to decide what to give for a childs pain, not wanting to expose them to the heavy duty stuff.

Susan

I'm curious about the acupuncture as well.

I'm a huge fan of Vicodin. I had it after I had a skin graft done on my gums and it was lovely.

Funny: I stuck one in the pill case I had in my purse after the graft and forgot about it. Few months later I had a bad headache at work and popped what I thought was an Excederin. I realized it was the Vicodin when my head started tingling and I felt so happy I wanted to hug my boss. Oops.

I hope your DS feels better soon!!

Hi Sparrow and Morningstar and Susan

I left telephone messages, haven't heard back from her yet. I think she may be commuting to her practice now and teaching, so it might be a couple of days.

I do think it is a good idea to have DS19 balanced out though - and it will help his body release the remnants of the narcotics and release the trauma of the whole event.

He is much, much better this evening...tomorrow I'll put him on the Vicodin, then in another day or so I'll move him to tylenol.

Susan, thanks again for your immediate response yesterday - it really helped me out.

Funny story Sparrow!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.