Will using a weight make my waist bigger????

Love4Fitness

Cathlete
I love doing Core Max expecially the one with the 8lb medichine ball. But I was recently told that using a weight while doing ab work will make my waist(mid section) bigger. That is the opposite of what I want to do. Is this true?????????? :(

I understand what your saying. I use a 10lb medicine ball at the gym on the ab board for crunching twists (I'll guess I'll call it that;-)) and I noticed my abs at bigger (and buffer, six pack) but iz not the kind of bigger you think. It man the upper part of your abs can get rounder and buffer but the lower abs pull in flat. If you ever seen Gilad, his abs are a ood example of what I'm talking about. I hope I explained this well. Maybe if Cathe replies, she can give you a better explanation or another answer. But in the meantime I hope this helps!

~Adri;-)
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

Hold on, one more thing. If you look at the main page when you enter Cathe's site, you'll see her picture from Muscle Max. If you look at her abs, you'll notice the top part if it, you'll notice iz buffer and rounder, then gets flat. Hope that was a better explanation!

~Adri

Not Cathe, obviously, but in some respects you are right. On the other hand, Adri pointed out a good example. Sure it may make your muscles firmer and slightly larger, but not so much that it will look huge. If you already have a larger midsection, then you may want to utilize cardio, as well as ab work. If you don't shed the unwanted abdominal fat, then you will have fat on top (and hiding) the muscle underneath. I have developed a stronger, yet slightly larger midsection from hard abdominal work. IMO, I think a combination of muscle training and cardio training will give you the results you want. If you start to notice a larger, unwanted midsection try lowering the weight, or utilizing no weight. I do, however, think that you won't gain so much weight in your midsection that it will stir you away from working it hard. Besides, strong abdominals support your back and your body when you perform weight training, cardio training, and normal daily activities. Plus, it helps your posture.

Hope this tides you over until Cathe responds. I, too, want to hear her opinion on this question:)

Hi! I wanted to offer my insight on your question. Due to a very clean diet and lots of ab training, I've managed to get a 6-pack. I've also managed to make my waist thicker than I would like. That I attribute to lots of weighted oblique work. I've actually eliminated using any weights when I work my sides. I still use weights when I work the front...that has helped me develop the thickness in my 6-pack. I personally find that pleasing. I'm proud that it will show through a form-fitting shirt. So, my advice would be to monitor your weighted oblique work closely. Measure your waist every so often. Even when I'm competing and at my leanest(8-9% body fat), my waist still measures 28 inches. To counteract that fact, I work my shoulders and back (lats) extra hard to create the illusion of a smaller waist. A lot of explanation, I know. Probably more than you wanted to know, but one more perspective for you. Happy training!

Also, do you do any kickboxing? This may be an alternative/and or extra addition to ab training. It will work your abs without the medicine ball.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.