Will anyone be fasting on Good Friday?

bzbnmom

Cathlete
I usually drink herbal tea all day and have a light meal for dinner on fasting days. On Ash Wednesday, I did this and had a terrible headache by dinner.

I will be doing a workout on Fri and Sat mornings, Sun is my rest day. So I was thinking I would have a spinach smoothie or something similar for my 2 meals before dinner on Friday. This is allowed and follows the "fasting" guidelines. I usually like to do the full fasting because I feel great the next day and my stomach feels like it shrinks and I feel fuller sooner. But I don't want to miss my workouts this time and I definitely don't want that headache!

I was wondering how those of you who fast and exercise handle it?

I won't/ can't. I work 12 hours and do a lot of moving around.....I would pass out. The good news...I'm a vegetarian so I won't have to worry about eating meat! Lol

I also fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. I have the equivalent of one meal for the day by having a piece of it at each meal time. I may have a yogurt for breakfast, a peanut butter, grilled cheese or egg sandwich for lunch and a bowl of bean soup or potato soup for supper. No side dishes with "the meal" and no snacking. Also end up in bed early due to hunger, lol. I also don't plan a workout on the days of fasting because I don't want to pass out or end up with the shakes.

Hi..I also fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Generally, I have a protein bar for my light snack in the morning and eat my meal for lunch. Then, at dinner I will have a protein shake. I usually workout and don't have a problem. I just make sure that the snack meal has protein and the meal at lunch is filling like tuna fish with salad and fruit..

Good luck tomorrow..Hope you can avoid a headache this time

I fast because it is a sacrifice and it is suggested/recommended/required by my religion to offer up this sacrifice....just as Jesus sacrificed for us.

This is in NO way meant to offend, just a curiosity/understanding question as I am not Catholic and do not observe Ash Wed or Good Friday. How can it be considered "fasting" if you are eating?? And, things like eating a protein bar etc that are more modern indulgences, are these "allowed". Way back thousands of years ago what did others do to fast? Was it just bread and water? Or only fruits? Or really nothing but water for those days??

Thanks for the info!

I fast because it is a sacrifice and it is suggested/recommended/required by my religion to offer up this sacrifice....just as Jesus sacrificed for us.

Sorry if I offended you :(....
It was meant to be funny.
I was raised in a non-traditional household of artists and scientists and am unfamiliar with many rituals. I truly did not mean any offense.:eek:

TOLERANCE.

fasting

People sure do get offended fast, no pun intened. The comments made were not offensive in any way. chill people

karen

If you are eating you are not fasting by definition. A true fast is water only. Jews and Muslims do it too.

Not to worry, I'm not offended at all.:) Here is some info for those who are curious.

What Fasting Is:

Fasting, broadly speaking, is the voluntary avoidance of something that is good. When Catholics talk about fasting, we normally mean restricting the food that we eat. We can fast between meals, by not eating snacks, or we can engage in a complete fast by abstaining from all food. The English word breakfast, in fact, means the meal that breaks the fast.

While fasting takes the form of refraining from eating, it is primarily a spiritual discipline designed to tame the body so that we can concentrate on higher things.

Prayer, Fasting, and Almsgiving - The Swiss Army Knife of the Spirit:

That is why fasting is usually mentioned along with prayer and almsgiving (or charity). By controlling the passions of the body, we free our souls for prayer. And by refraining from eating, we free up food or money that we can give to those less fortunate than ourselves. The three spiritual disciplines go hand in hand, and the Church calls us to practice all three together, especially during the season of Lent.

Lenten Fasting and Penance:

Lent, the 40 days before Easter Sunday, is a season of the Church calendar set aside for Christians to do penance in preparation for the celebration of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Refraining from food can help us to bring our bodies under the control of our souls, but it is also a way of doing penance for past excesses. That is why the Church strongly recommends that Catholics fast during Lent.

Current Church Law Regarding Fasting:

The Church used to prescribe very rigorous rules for the Lenten fast (including abstinence from all meat and eating only one meal per day). The current rules, however, are much more lax. Catholics are only required to fast on Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent, and on Good Friday, the day that Jesus Christ was crucified. Anyone over the age of 18, but under the age of 60, should eat only one full meal on those days, although they can also have small amounts of food in the morning and the evening.

Going Beyond What’s Required:

The Church continues to encourage individual Catholics to observe a stricter fast. Extreme fasting, however, can be physically harmful, so, as with all physical forms of penance and of spiritual discipline, you should consult with your priest before embarking on a very strict fast.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.