Why get married?

I have to agree with pretty much everything that's already been said here. So why am I posting? Don't know.

Anyway, I happen to be a woman who changed her name and has a couple kids, but I would support anyone else who felt differently! And my husband and I talked a lot before marriage about how we were making a family before we ever had kids. I mean that just the two of us were our own family, whether we had kids or not (though we planned to have the kids later). I think that's the important thing--you are a family unit with your husband and what anyone else says doesn't matter (though sometimes it's hard to listen to anyway).

Also, as for carrying on the family name (not that it matters to you if you don't want kids), I remember reading about people in other cultures where the father passes on his last name to the sons and the mother passes hers to the daughters. I always thought that sounded like a great idea, though so far all I have is two sons (and no plans for more, though we also get pressure about that).

***Lainie***

http://web.mac.com/lainiefig/iWeb/Site/Exercise/Exercise.html

"The worst loneliness is to not be comfortable with yourself." -- Mark Twain

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.