Why does my mouth taste so terrible?

H

Hazel

Has anyone else had experience with this problem? In the last week and a half or so (I'm about 9.5 weeks along) my mouth has tasted terrible! Even water tastes bad--which is a real problem, I know. I expected for odors to become stronger--is this part of that lovely phenomenon?

Please tell I'm not nuts and/or that this will go away soon. Thanks!

you are not alone

During all three of my pregnancies I had that horrid metallic taste in my mouth. I don't know what it is, but it IS something normal. My mouth also felt really dry a lot, which is odd because most pregnancy books say that you might salivate MORE. All I can say is, stock up on the mintiest toothpaste you can find (unless the mint turns your stomach. . . it did to me during the first trimester but not after) and plan on brushing often (and make sure you brush your TONGUE not just your teeth). It's only a short-term fix but it DOES help. -susan p

bad taste

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-99 AT 12:09PM (EST)</font></center>

Hi - I am about 17 weeks along, and I have had that problem off and on. The last couple of days the morning sickness has started to subside, but before then toothpaste was often a sure trigger for being sick. You might want to try a couple of different brands if that is a problem. I find mint candy helpful (either lifesavers or those red and white ones) and also hard lemon candy. Lots of fluid helps sometimes too - if water is bad you could try adding a little lemon to it. Good luck! Bridget

Hi Hazel!

Sorry I can't tell you exactly why either. I'm sure it goes right along with all of the other things that have occured due to hormonal changes. Just wanted to share that although I didn't experience this bad taste as much in the early stages, I sure am now(with 5 1/2 weeks left). Many foods have had altered tastes. Some worse than others. The frustrating part is that when I brush my teeth or pop a piece of gum in my mouth to get rid of it, that too, has a funny taste. Sort of acidic and metal-like at the same time...yuck! Hope your feeling ok. It was nice to hear from you!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.