Why can't I do rebounding?

cathe4me2

Cathlete
Hi my educated crowd friends,
I have a problem that I cannot figure out. I would so much like your advice.
Due to a degenerative lymphatic system at the present time, my doctor told me to do my exercises on a rebounder as opposed to my usual step, kickboxing, etc. I understand that the constant motion on the rebounder stimulates the lymphs.
So I got a rebounder and tried jumping on the thing and it hurts! I mean really hurts... my legs and calves, and afterwards I got a terrible migraine. In contrast, I can do Cathe's step, Cathe's kickboxing, Cathe's plyo jumps, jumping jacks, airborne jacks on the floor, Turbo Jam, all weight work, and I am just fine.
I just don't understand it...
If the normal exercises don't bother me, why does the rebounder (which is supposed to be easier) cause me pain? Is there differences in rebounders...as in softer tension, mats, springs or something like that?

I have been disobeying my doctor and doing my regular workouts because it seems to be more gentle on my system than the rebounder. I ask you all this question so I can have an educated reason to tell her why I am doing my Cathe.:)

Anything new and different for your body can cause different pains, and you have to get used to it.

I'm not saying continue if it hurts, but if you just jumped into (no pun intended) rebounding by doing an hour-long workout, I would expect those adaptive twinges and tweeks to be worse.

When I first started rebounding, I swear it felt like my brain was bounciing around in my head. I probably was bouncing 'up' to much, like a kid jumping on a mattress. Now, I don't notice this at all.

The headache could be from bouncing 'up' too much instead of pushing down into the mat, from stimulating the lymph too much at once? (a detox reaction? headaches are often cited as detox reactions in other areas, why not with rebounding).

The calf and leg pain is probably from doing too much too soon. And if the pain comes after the fact, then some extra stretching of those areas is good.

Are you wearing shoes? Some people rebound in bare feet, but I think that that may be a bad idea, because of the lack of support.

If you think the above applies to you, you might want to give it another try, but gradually transition into it. Start with 20 minutes maximum at a time, be sure to push down and not bounce up (your head shouldn't really move up that much), stick with less 'bouncy' moves like jogs and sprints, rather than with jumping jacks or other more bouncy moves at first. Drink a lot of water after rebounding, to help with detoxing, if that may be a factor.

Or even start with a 'basic bounce' where your feet don't even leave the mat.

Well, I'm no expert, but I know when I jump around on my rebounder like it's a trampoline it is a whole other experience than when I do a guided workout where I am getting input as to how to bounce, where to press with my feet, etc. So you may want to check that your form is ok. I like the Urban Rebounder workouts a lot and I hear Cardiolates is really good. Or perhaps take a rebounding class at a local gym, if that helps?

Good luck,
Marie

Cathe4me2,

My experience with the rebounder is similar to Kathryn, in that it took me practice before everything calmed down. I could only do about 5 minutes at first before my feet hurt so badly, then 10 minutes, my feet were better. After a while I managed 30 minutes on it without anything hurting. Now I do rebounder workouts with the best of them. All in all it took me a good month and a half to get to this point.

It takes time, but I think if you keep at it, will do you a world of good. But be sure your doctor knows it hurts before you continue with it, he/she may have great advice to go from there.

Janie

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, then don't say anything at all."
-My mother, Mary Cooper-

I had the same experience as Kathryn and Janie: I had to work up to longer workouts. I think I could do 20 minutes at first, and then my feet hurt and my head hurt or I felt dizzy. I also got cramps in my side sometimes at first. Now I can bounce for about 45 minutes and I feel good afterward. It definitely works my feet and calves in a new way, so they feel tired afterward, but they don't hurt like they did at first!

I think it will get easier for you as you get used to it, but of course listen to your body and your doctor!

Good luck!
Tonya

I don't know why, but the first time I tried my rebounder it hurt my calves and feet as well! I think it was simply because I did not feel "comfortable" on it so I was bouncing very "stiffly" or something. In just a couple of tries I guess I loosened up and never hurt like that again! :)

WOW!! Thanks for all your replies. I appreciate all the suggestions on how to jump on the rebounder, and how you felt the first few times. I felt EXACTLY the same way!! I knew I could count on you for a wealth of information. I will try it again but much slower and not jump "up".
You all are terriffic. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.