Whole wheat recipes?

susan-lynn

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

Since eating whole wheat instead of white flour is healthier - just wondering if anyone has any recipes for baked goods using whole wheat flour - for muffins/cookies/pancakes and the like?

Or if anyone can suggest a good recipe book for baking/cooking with whole grains/whole wheat - it would be appreciated!

I have one for Banana-Raisin Whole Wheat Bread and it is very, very good. You can also add pecans to it.

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (3 to 4 medium)
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup raisins
2/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt ( I used light sour cream )
1/3 cup fat-free cholesterol-free egg product or 2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

MOVE oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottoms only of 2 loaf pans, 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches, or 1 loaf pan, 9 x 5 x 3 inches. ( I used muffin pans)

STIR together all ingredients until smooth. Pour into pans.

BAKE 8-inch loaves 50 to 60 minutes, 9-inch loaf 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pans on wire rack. Lossen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans to wire rack. Cool completely before slicing. Wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days. 24 slices per loaf.

1 slice: 75 calories (15 calories from fat); 1.5 g fat (0 saturated); 0 cholesterol; 85 mg sodium; 15 g carbohydrate (1 dietary fiber); 1 g protein

It only took about 10 minutes in the muffin pans and I didn't have to worry about slicing it. It really was good. Even my 3-year-old thought it was good and called it cake.

Kelly http://www.sgtfuzzbubble99.homestead.com/files/Smilies/De_Niro/eeyore.gif

I know that you can add whole wheat flour in place of white flour in most any recipe calling for white flour. For a recipe calling for 1 cup flour, use 1/4 cup whole wheat to 3/4 cup white flour. I know this is not using ALL whole wheat flour but I think that if you substitute all wheat flour for white flour, you will have a hard, chewy product. To prevent this, I think you have to compensate by adding more oil or something to give it some moisture. I personally do not want to have to use lots of oil or sugar to get a good tasting product. I have never tried substituting completely in pancakes for example. I figure that I am at least adding a little nutrition by adding some whole wheat flour. To find recipes using ALL whole wheat flour, try doing an internet search and try Cookinglight.com--they may have some recipes.

thanks for the ideas...that recipe for the banana bread looks delicious, I've got some over ripe bananas ready to be used up..

I use a bread maker for my bread receipes, but for other things such as muffins, cookies, banana bread and things like that I use whole wheat pastry flour. I just sub the ww flour and if it's a cake type like things above I use a lighter flour like ww pastry flour.
Hope that helps.
Faythe

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-02 AT 03:35PM (Est)[/font][p]I have been interested in this exact same thing lately!

I started experimenting with a basic banana muffin recipe I have (the kind from an elementary school cookbook) and came up with the following:

In place of the 1 1/2 cups of white flour I used equal parts white flour, whole wheat flour and oatmeal (the quick 1-minute oats, in the barrel...not totally instant!)

Also, I always substitute the vegetable oil in recipes for 1/2 veg oil and 1/2 apple sauce (the no sugar added variety).

These muffins turned out really good...very hearty but not too chewy! I want to keep experimenting with my little recipe...especially reducing the amount of sugar without sacrificing too much taste. Currently I add a little more banana and slightly decrease the sugar but I don't think it's enough to make much of a difference...any ideas?

Take care, Mikie

PS: I did a search at allrecipes.com keyword: whole wheat and it pulled up ~35 recipes including "dairy free whole wheat pancakes'!

I substitute whole wheat flour for up to 3/4 of the regular flour when using standard recipes for pancakes, muffins, quick breads, or cookies. I like some unbleached white flour to lighten the product up. You'll get a better result using a recipe for whole wheat yeast bread rather than substituting since rise times, etc need to be modified.

Other grains to consider: triticale flour or grains, millet, wheat germ, bran, soy flour, uncooked multi-grain cereal, etc. Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone has some great ideas for using whole grains in pancakes & you can take that info to other baked goods. This is a great book if you always wanted to know how to use quinoa or never knew how to use lentils beyond lentil soup.

The post about using whole wheat pastry flour for cookies, pancakes. It's better for pie/tart crusts too.

Debra

Kelly,
I tried the banana bread recipe and it was very good! Thanks so much for a new idea and a way to get whole wheat into my recipes.
I made them into muffins too, it was handy that way. Karen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.