Who Likes Obstacle Courses?

Tootles

Cathlete
I was never a fan of running until a friend introduced me to the wonderful world of mud runs and obstacle courses. Climbing walls, monkey bars, and fire jumps? Yes please! I'll run if it means I get to do all that other awesome stuff!

So far I have participated in 3 races:
Survivor Mud Run
Warrior Dash
Spartan Sprint

They were all about 5k and included 12-15 obstacles. The Warrior Dash and Survivor Mud Run took me just over 35 minutes each. There were lots of mud pits, walls to climb over, nets to get tangled in, and culverts to scramble through. The Spartan Sprint was the hardest and most extreme by a long shot and took me 1:17 to complete the 4 mile course. It had many obstacles I had not seen before, including sand bag carries, tractor pulls, and tire flips, and if you failed at any obstacle (there were no second chances!) you had to do 30 burpees.

5581-spartan-sprint-2012.jpg

While some people might find this sort of hobby crazy, I love these races. All of the people on the course are wonderfully positive, friendly, and helpful. Complete strangers have helped boost me over walls and shared encouraging words with me as we wallowed together in waist-deep muck. Most people are at these races to have fun and challenge themselves to try something new, not to be super-competitive. All of the races I attended had well over 1,000 participants. Usually the serious competitors run in the first wave, or heat, and then the rest of us run in later heats spaced 30 minutes apart. You are rewarded at the finish line with a medal, a t-shirt, and a free beer. There's usually loud rock music and quite a few people in costume (I've seen gladiators, men in tutus, and women in wedding dresses).

I'm curious how many Cathletes would also be interested in this sort of thing. I'm in Washington state and would love to see some fellow Cathletes at one of these events. I think there's a Warrior Dash coming up next month near Seattle, and there's a Super Spartan (like the Spartan Sprint, but 8 miles and 20+ obstacles) in British Columbia this fall that I may attempt. Is anyone interested in joining me?

Even if you're not near me, I'd love to hear about some of the crazy races you have done! We could share training ideas as well. I'm doing an STS 3.5 month rotation, along with some running. I really need to start running more extreme hills and stairs, though. I also need a pull up bar to help improve my wall-scaling abilities. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I love obstacle courses! A couple years ago my husband and I even built one in our backyard for a birthday party: Hmmm...: Grok-stacle course

As far as the kind you're talking about, I've only done a Warrior Dash and a Metro Dash. I did Warrior Dash with my sisters in TN last year, and I think the course we had was a pretty tame one because it only had the one mud pit at the end and no water... There were a few obstacles like the tires and the junked cars, but most of them were some variation on climbing over a wall. My boss did one in NC last month and had way more water and mud and different types of obstacles. It was still super fun though, and my sisters and I are planning to do one this year too. We were going to do the SC one but they canceled it and now we're trying to see if we can swing the AL one which is a bit farther away.

Metro Dash was awesome! It's not a long race - I can't remember the distance but I think equivalent to a football field or two? But it's INTENSE. 30 obstacles, one after another and some of them are super hard. I definitely am going to do it again next time there's one nearby. You should check and see if there's one near you - different from the mud runs, but really awesome. Also, I think the same people who do Metro Dash have a mud run as well.. I think it's called Primal Mud Run.

I just did my first one a couple of weeks ago. It was the Muck Ruckus for MS. It was a blast, 6 miles long...I wished it was longer. As much as I love running in races...this was definitely a more enjoyable experience. Looking forward to doing many more. I would like to try longer ones though, I didn't want this one to end.

I have never done one, but holy cow they look like so much fun! It looks like there is one coming up in my neck of the woods (TX) this winter. How do you guys train for this?

I'm going to be doing the Dirty Dash in Tacoma, WA at the beginning of Aug. My kids have been wanting to participate in one, and this one lets the kids do 1 mile called piglet plunge.

Audryb, how is cool is building your own course! That looks like fun. I'd love to try a Metro Dash sometime, but it doesn't look like they have any on the West coast yet.

jdimascio, I'm not sure if I've got the stamina for 6 miles yet! I slacked off and didn't run all winter or spring. At least I kept up with my regular Cathe stuff. I would love to work up to longer races. Someday I want to attempt one of those terrifying 2-day events like the Spartan Death Race or the Goruck Challenge. I'd really have to buckle down and train for those! Someday!

gratefuldog, I heard about that rash on the news. That sucks, hopefully it didn't last too long and won't deter too many people from trying again. The Warrior Dash is fun.

owltx, I don't think you need to do extra training to complete something like the Warrior Dash if you already do a lot of Cathe workouts. Just start to run if you aren't already a runner, and pick a trail with some hills or stairs. I run 3-5 miles 2 or 3 times a week on a trail that has a set of 100+ stairs in the middle and do Cathe workouts 5 or 6 times a week. Circuit workouts and weights are great because you need to have decent upper body strength to clamber over walls and cargo nets. It also helps to be pretty agile on your feet so uneven terrain doesn't trip you up.

If you want to be competitive and seriously try to win these races then you should look up Hobie Call's website, Conquer Any Course. He's the man who dominates in these races across the country and his website offers lots of training advice.

mom2kttj - I may have to sign up for that one! It looks fun, and it's less expensive than some of the other races.

I haven't done any of those but want to :) I almost went to one here that was in a cave but went tree climbing instead. I wish I had chosen the cave because the tree climbing did not turn out to be what I thought; I thought it was climbing tree branches like when I was a kid but it is this: Tree Climbers International It was neat but much more strenuous than anticipated.

Wow, all of you are so cool to do them!
I have only just now started hearing about them (I think it was in Shape magazine).
Thanks for the inspiration!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.