who knits?

jdoll

Cathlete
i got a kit that came with a DVD and i am going to spend my saturday night trying to make sense of it. just wondering how many knitters we have around here and if you have any tips:)

jes

p.s. do i sound like a grandma or what?:p

I've been wanting to learn how to knit! It seems like such a relaxing thing to do. I took knitting lessons at a yarn shop when I was a kid. We were knitting a scarf but I didn't stay in the class long enough to learn how to get it off the needles--LOL! I guess I could start a new fashion trend--get some of those beautiful wooden needles and leave one at the end of the scarf. How would that be!? :)

Michele

I learned how to knit 2 October's ago. I LOVE IT!!! I swear, I got really, really addicted at first (now that I have 2 kids, I don't get to sit and knit as much)! I knitted scarves, baby blankets, and baby hats. I still have some unfinished projects...maybe I'll pick up one of them tonight while I watch tv!

I went to Michael's and took a few lessons, plus bought "Knitting For Dummies" to use as a resource. I love love love knitting! I could spend HOURS in yarn shops!! :D

Jamie

edited for spelling errors.

I taught myself how to knit about a year ago. I bought "knitting for dummies".

I had the attention span for about a coaster, never mind a scarf or a sock. :) A coaster for a child's tea set...

But, I can now say "I know how"...

Have fun!!! I hope your attention span is longer than mine!!

I learned about 3 years ago. Started with a kit from Walmart, but really didn't get going until I took a class at the local yarn store. Have made a bunch of things--current project is a cardigan, and it has taken me more than a year and I'm not done!! I find I have trouble finding time to knit lately--too busy on the computer or working out.

Maybe we should start a knitting check-in? ! I need to get this **&&*$(#&@#*@#!! sweater done. }(

How's it coming along today with the knitting Jes? I re-learned last winter and LOVE it! Totally addicting and I call it the perfect "woman's multi tasking" thing to do. I can watch tv, talk on the phone, carry it with me for waits in the car, an office, meeting etc, all while knitting up a storm. \

I will say that the best advice I received when learning was to go with the big thick yarn and needles. I can give you a better description if you want, just ask. The reason being that it works really fast, you can see your stitches well, it feels so soft and cozy, and it is just very satisfying to be able to produce something quickly with how fast it knits up. I made a number of scarves for people and an afghan in no time at all.

Happy winter with cozy knitting!

I have to second that advice--start with thick, chunky yarn. Projects go really fast that way and it's much more satisfying. The reason the cardigan I'm doing now is taking so long is I decided to go with thin yarn, so that I wouldn't keep going through projects--famous last words. x(

Oh, also check out www.knitty.com--cute site with good articles. I haven't tried the patterns yet.

Anyhow, Dani--I'm curious: How do you knit while you're on the phone? I haven't figured that one out yet--would hurt to hold the phone between my neck and shoulder and not use my hands. I do watch tv and knit, though. Would love to take my projects to work, but our meetings tend to either be short or take too much attention for me to knit, and my commute to work is too short (not that I'm complaining!). Anyhow, looking for ideas on how to find time to knit.

I've been knitting ever since I was about 6 or 7 years old, but really only work at it when I need a baby shower gift. Good friends get blankets and acquaintances get booties and caps LOL. People really love it when they get something handmade and I get a kick out of seeing something I made being used too.

Once you get into the rhythm of knitting (and relax), you'll find your stitches start becoming nice and even and will slide on and off your needles real easy. That's when you'll gain speed and really start to enjoy the process. Have fun!

I've enjoyed knitting for years. The best suggestion I can make is plan on never wearing your 1st sweater attempt. I made on for DH that was 3 shades of green (I ran out of the lot color TWICE) and had arms down to his knees! Knitting is an excellent way to keep your hands off the snacks in the evening. Good luck.

I've always wanted to learn how to knit, too!

My grandmother used to be a mean crochet'er, and of course, as a child I never took the time to learn from her. She passed away in '99. She would make really beautiful baby and granny-square blankets. My other grandmother (still alive, BTW) knits, but she's so mean I don't think I'd be able to learn from her. She'd probably hit me over the knuckles if I made a mistake!:)

Jes,

I know how to knit, and really enjoy it. It is soothing to do. I think it is the rhythm that you get into while doing it almost mindlessly.

My grandmother owned a knit shop in Atlanta, and we have lots of "old" knit books and kits in the closet! My mother knitted all of our Christmas stockings with those wonderful patterns with Santa Claus coming down the chimney and reindeer! You cannot find these patterns anymore that I am aware of.

I am not up to that "level of expertise" yet, but plan on learning! My goal is to knit those for my grandchildren one day in the future! My mother knitted all of my children and my nieces and nephews stockings. If you need any help, basic help, I would be glad to help.

Good luck and have fun!

Janet

I learned how to knit and crochet in 4th or 5th grade but don't do it very often anymore. Here's a hint: start with a lighter color yarn to make it easier to see the stitches.

I've also found that when my hands are busy doing some craft while watching TV, I'm less likely to think about going into the kitchen during the commercials for something to snack on.

Sue

I learned to knit when I was 8 yrs old. I lived in England at the time. I go with others, starting out use bulky yarn and also use larger needles. I bought a kit for my granddaughter for Christmas from Target figuring I could help her. I taught her to crochet. She is 9 years old this year. I also had a woman that was a neighbor when I was growing up that helped me with my knitting. I spent hours with her as a 10 year old and she taught me how to knit in reindeer on mittens etc.. A lot more detailed knitting. I always enjoyed spending time with the elderly. I taught my grandmother to knit and she taught me crocheting in exchange. I also received many stories and lots of history, a great bonus! As for the grandma, we can learn many skills and help give them to others. I would hate to see these types of things drop away and no one be able to carry them on. Just because you learn a skill even though it is an old skill does not make you sound like a grandma.
Diane Sue
http://wd.1ww.us

Hi Jes, over the years I've knit off and on. I'm really more of a crocheter. Because of my schedule though it's hard to do either but I did used to really enjoy it. My Aunt was a Home EC teacher and taught me to knit, crochet, embroider, and sew when I was very young. Whenever I'm not working as much as I do now, I like to have a knitting or crocheting project going.

Jo

well, i bombed! i cannot even figure out how to "cast on"x( i have a kit tha tcame with an instructional DVD and instruction packet. i guess i am going to have to take a live class so i can have a real person show me what to do.

thanks for all your input;-)

jes

Don't feel bad--when I started with my kit from Walmart, I couldn't figure out how to cast on, either. My boyfriend actually was the one who read the instructions and showed me what to do. Actually, even now whenever I have to cast on, I have to look at a book to remember how to do it--don't know why, but it just won't stick in my head. A good book helps even after you take lessons, too.

One of the trickiest things about casting on is making sure you have enough yarn after the starting loop. I usually go with 3 x the width of the piece I'm knitting. If you have extra, you can just trim it off later, but if you're short, you have to pull out the cast-on and try again.

I was going to describe how do go on from there, but its so much easier to show someone than to try to write down how to do it. If you live here in Wichita, Kansas, I'd show you. You might want to stop by a craft store and have someone walk you through it.

I've been knitting since I was a young girl (~7), and have enjoyed knitting lots of sweaters. You should have seen my mothers face when I gave her a sweater for Christmas that she thought I was knitting for myself.

I second what the other knitters have said about starting, and about getting the rhythm of knitting - its very soothing. Just as long as you don't sit down and knit for 10 hours after not knitting at all for months. Man, where my hands sore after that!

Good luck with knitting!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.