Who does BOSU?

navywifey

Cathlete
I tried a BOSU class at the gym last night for the first time. I don't know if all classes are taught this way, but it was BOSU mixed with step and some arm and ab work...2 steps actually, one on each side of the BOSU.

I thought it was a lot of fun, even though I was wobbling all over the place. By the end of the class my balance was getting better and better. It wasn't very high intensity but I did break a sweat and I could feel my legs working to stabilize. I was hoping for a little soreness in my legs today --a sure sign for me my legs were worked --but nothing. My feet and ankles are a little sore today...the instructor said they might be when you do it the first couple of times because your feet are working to stabilize you also.

Who owns a BOSU? What kinds of videos are out there for it? How many times a week to you do it?

:)

The class sounds like fun and a great way to shake up your routine! I also would be interested to hear how others use their BOSU. I just got one right before I injured myself and have not really used it other then for crunches and oblique work. I cannot do anything involving LB-cardio-type moves right now. Can anyone give us some ideas. Thanks for asking!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Here's a link to a recent discussion:
http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=79189&mode=full If you do a search using BOSU you'll see several other discussions.

I'm using the BOSU to work on core strength & balance. Many of the BOSU workouts are designed for instructors. Lots of ideas but very simple production.

Fitness Wholesale online has a collection of BOSU workouts. Look under balance/stability products. Collage Video has a few workouts.
The website is www.fwonline.com.

My gym has a few BOSU's in the weight room but not enough for a cardio or any other group class. Lucky you!!

Debra

I had this in my hot little hands the other day, and chickened out! It is at Gart Sports for 99.00, and while there is tax, there would be no shipping. I think the fact that they offered no other dvd's to go with it kind of put me off.....and my husband was there rolling his eyes at me:D

So is it really fun? I finally found a good description of the workout that comes with it, and it mentioned something about little jumps you can do, now THAT sounds like fun. Kind of a step/mini tramp sort of item.

I just may have to run back down to Reno.......*sigh*

Ha Dani! You are too funny! I understand the hubby eye-rolling too. I think mine is getting used to me finally! You might want to hold off til we get some more responses on what we can do with the thing! Where is Francine when we need her??? Yoo-Hooo, Francine!!!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Yes it was fun. At least as a beginner at it, it keeps you engaged because you are concentrating and tryind to keep your balance. As a more advanced person, I was wondering if it gets boring. Though I can see doing a lot of step type moves on it. We did "compressions" which is just bouncing on the BOSU and different variations of it. We did marching, lunges (hard balancing on 1 foot), knee raises, small jumps to the left, center than right. One move that was tough was straddling the BOSU and "ski jumping" onto it. I enjoyed the addition of the step portion, which kept the heart rate up and made it interesting.

Honestly though, for the arm, ab and back work we did on it, you can do the same with a stability ball.

You're right, I will be patient. I wish Francine would pop in now too, it has been a while since she has been around.

I do need to run to Reno today to get groceries, so I may just check into the return policy. If I hated it, I could return it. Not to mention that a quick check of eBay shows them selling used for more than 99.00 bucks!

I also am really tempted by the Keli Roberts and Mindy Mylrea dvd's. If only Cathe could comment! Has she ever used one, maybe in the gym or privately? Is she considering a BOSU workout?

I would hate to fall prey to the latest fitness flop gadget:p

DebbieH

Debbie I was asking the same question, where is Francine? I think Im going to email her and see what she is up to. But anyway Im interesting in this Bosco too. Maybe I will just tell my husband that is what I want for my Birthday next month this way I won't see his eyes roll either.

Hi Barbara!

I sent her this post hoping she'd come help us out! She is a very busy gal these days. Hope to "see" her soon. Hope your birthday wish comes true. Be SURE you blow out ALL the candles!!! http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/party/party-smiley-023.gif[/img]

I have a Bosu, and although I haven't done this yet, another poster here said she does a lot of Cathe's floor ab work (like the ab work in C&W) on the Bosu, and has had incredible results. You couldn't do that on a stability ball.

I have gotten several DVDs for the Bosu. The one I'm really looking forward to trying is actually two workouts: Mindy Mylrea's Explode and Keli Robert's BURN.

Hello,

Here's a link to some cardio moves that you can do on the BOSU: http://exercise.about.com/cs/cardioworkouts/l/blbosucardio.htm I like doing Cathe's dynamic windmills and leg extensions off of the BOSU...you can really catch a lot of air. I also use my BOSU whilst doing my FIRM workouts--the ones that use the Fanny Lifter for step aerobics; I just use my BOSU instead of the Fanny Lifter. This works well because the FIRM's step choreography is very basic but the BOSU makes the workout a little harder because in order to keep your balance you have to do some moves with more power.

I just received the free Absolutely Abs video that you can send away for as well as a workout called Long and Lean. I haven't tried the Abs video yet, but the Long and Lean has pretty simple yoga and stretching moves. The instructor is very pleasant but I am not sure how much I like workout yet.

I've heard that there is a professional series of BOSU workouts that are supposed to be quite good, but I haven't figured out where they are sold. Does anyone know?

Frankie

Hey Frankie, is the free Absolutely Abs something you send away for from the BOSU package? I have not heard of it, and did not see it mentioned on the box. If not, where did you send away for them from?

Thanks!

Hi Dani,

Yes, my BOSU came with a flier offering the Absolutely Abs workout for "free" plus $4.95 SH. You can send away for it or you can follow this link http://www.bosu.com/free/
If you buy any of their other workout videos they don't charge you the SH--that's why I ended up ordering the Long & Lean workout. Their customer service is quite good: my DVDs arrived in less than a week via UPS.

Frankie

BTW, I called their customer service line and ordered by phone--no one asked me for a BOSU serial number or anything, so I think anyone, whether you've bought a BOSU or not, might be able to take take advantage of this deal. I haven't tried the workout yet, but I imagine you could use a Body Dome or similar piece of equipment.

Someone (Trevor?) asked her about the BOSU many months ago. Cathe replied that she didn't have any BOSU plans at the time because she didn't feel enough people owned one. It is a pricy piece of equipment but I'm enjoying mine.

Debra

Frankie, Fitness Wholesale Online has the professional workouts. The link is in my first post above.

Debra

I love my BOSU and I highly recommend one. The BOSU will definitely up your fitness level. I personally love doing cardio on my BOSU and Rob Glick's Cardio Fusion is an excellent workout that I recommend.

Thanks for the link for the free offer. I took advantage of this offer and I ordered Rob's other cardio workout. :)

I've had my bosu for about a year and a half now and I have to say....I LOVE IT!!!! I don't use it daily but I do use it regularly and I think it is fantastic for working the core and for balance work. I use it a lot with Firm step work as the basic moves used by the Firm are perfect for it. I'm kinda hoping that Cathe's newest dvds made for the tall step will also work with the bosu (and I still hold out hope that she'll do a workout for the bosu someday). There's so much fun factor in using this as you get that bounce factor that you don't have in a step.
Karen :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.