Which Are Considered Hypertrophy

momto4

Cathlete
Other than STS, X Train and Gym Style, which of Cathes workouts would you consider hypertrophy? Especially the older ones, because it been a while since I've done some of those.:eek:

I agree Cathe's Pure Strength series as well. I also think 4 day split and Slow and Heavy would be considered as well.

Brigitte:)

For total body Muscle Max and STS total.

Burnset plus cardio leg blast are hypertrophy.

BI and TRI plus Leg are not :)

Last edited:
From the rep range element pyramid is a hypertrophy 8,10 and 12 reps.
As long as the weight selection is not below 65% one rep max.

HTH

From the rep range element pyramid is a hypertrophy 8,10 and 12 reps.
As long as the weight selection is not below 65% one rep max.

HTH

I think if you did UPs only on Pyramids too.
I love the results I get from Pyramids. I own S&H, but I haven't really done that one much.

UPS

I think if you did UPs only on Pyramids too.
I love the results I get from Pyramids. I own S&H, but I haven't really done that one much.

Glad you pointed out about UPS. I agree lower is not hypertrophy as such. Plus for safety reason I would not go too heavy with my favourite toy barbell on the high step:D:D

Same here for S&H I have not done it much either. So many great stuff for less time:):):) I love pyramid too. It does exhaust the upper body really good:p:eek:

Hi everyone,

I am revisiting this thread to add to list requested by the thread originator.

Yes RWH, this upcoming gem is a Hypertrophy program.

RWH = Ripped with Hiit.

Happy muscle shaping everyone;)

Last edited:
Thanks for re-opening this thread, Nathalie. I was looking for it recently.
Just curious -- is STS Total Body hypertrophy because of the % rep max suggestions? Most exercises are one set of 16 reps then another set of 12 reps -- wouldn't 16 reps be endurance range?
Also, is hypertrophy (or endurance or strength) only a function of number of reps (assuming lifting to failure)? That's what I always hear discussed, but it seems like an oversimplification, especially in light of Cathe's many articles on the various ways to increase intensity while lifting in addition to training volume (e.g., rep speed).
Thanks!

Thanks for re-opening this thread, Nathalie. I was looking for it recently.
Just curious -- is STS Total Body hypertrophy because of the % rep max suggestions? Most exercises are one set of 16 reps then another set of 12 reps -- wouldn't 16 reps be endurance range?

• STS total is a hypertrophy because of the % rep max but also because of the rep range.
Endurance rep range usually start from 16 reps. Some instructors consider 16 as endurance .
others would start higher. On STS Total the first set is 16 then it reduces to 12.
The first set is higher cause we all need to warm up muscles selecting a lighter weight
then select heavier for remaining sets.

Endurance rep ranges are 16 24 32 etc...
These fit in well for workout session designed to be taught in studios.

So it is both rep max and rep range.

Have a good day:)

Last edited:
  • STS total is a hypertrophy because of the % rep max but also because of the rep range.
Endurance rep range usually start from 16 reps. Some instructors consider 16 as endurance .
others would start higher. On STS Total the first set is 16 then it reduces to 12.
The first set is higher cause we all need to warm up muscles selecting a lighter weight
then select heavier for remaining sets.

Endurance rep ranges are 16 24 32 etc...
These fit in well for workout session designed to be taught in studios.

So it is both rep max and rep range.

Have a good day:)

Awesome. Thanks, Nathalie!
While I've been hoping for a serious hypertrophy workout in Cathe Live, I figured endurance workouts are probably more suited to studios, due to complications with weight selection, equipment, etc. Tant pis!
Roz

While I've been hoping for a serious hypertrophy workout in Cathe Live, I figured endurance workouts are probably more suited to studios, due to complications with weight selection, equipment, etc. Tant pis!
Roz

;););)

Roz, No instructor would take a risk of being sued for the sake of pleasing
heavy metal folks in studios. Tant pis...;) la gym est faite pour ca/ That is what gym was made for!

Last edited:
Roz

Hmmm....Perhaps we will get some when Cathe starts doing more of her one on one workouts. Cathe said she would start focusing on doing more one on one workouts once the Ripped with Hiit series is out of the way.

I am eating my words... Have you tried Strong Upper Body + Core? I just tried it this a.m. -- phenomenal!
For each body part, she does three rounds of supersets with 2-4 exercises per superset. 12 reps per set -- I think the only exception is tricep dips (32 reps/set). She only uses 5s, 8s, 10s, 12s, and 15s, but doubles up on some exercises (e.g., I think she has a 12 and a 15 in one hand for one-arm rows).
She moves fast, inspires some cardio, and hits those muscles hard! The volume really adds up -- sort of as it does it PUB.
Plus, non-traditional abs -- what's not to love??

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.