Where Does Low Wt/Low Reps Fit In?

Joni O

Cathlete
Cathe, I love the PS series and have seen fantastic results. I like to alternate my PS rotations with more endurance-style rotations incorporating videos like Body Pump. But what about videos that, for example, use 5-8 pound weights because they incorporate faster combination exercises and don't do enough reps to really build endurance (sometimes only 1-2 sets of maybe 10-12). If I do three of them a week for a few weeks, will I maintain the gains I've gotten from PS? Even if I don't build strength using this type of video, they're fun to do and a nice change -- as long as I don't lose any strength and/or muscle. What's your advice? Thanks, Cathe.

Hi Joni!

I wish I had a definite answer for you however, there is just no way to know this exactly. You can try to do this rotation and see how your body responds. If you find yourself unhappy with the results, then simply change it around to find a way that works. For instance, if you find yourself losing strength, try inserting endurance tapes for just one week(or two)instead of a few weeks. Or try two weeks of PS tapes followed by one week of endurance tapes. In other words, you'll have to do a little experimenting.

Although everyone is different, I can share with you what works for me. If I was pleased with the results that I had from the PS Series, I could take two full weeks off(possible even three)and not lose strength, but actually get stronger. My body reponds well to long breaks. I remember when I was doing the one body part per day method very religiously, I seemed to maintain the same level of weight for a while. So I would stop working out for about two weeks and then start up again. I was always amazed at how much more weight I could lift. Especially for biceps. Genetically, I think biceps are my strong point.

Hope this helps! Have fun.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.