When is the best time to eat?

shawna24k

Cathlete
I have a job where I work nights. I work 12 hour shifts so eating on a regular schedule is difficult. My question is, is it best to eat breakfast when I get home from work in the morning before I go to bed and then eat normal at lunch time and dinner and not eat at night while I work, or is it best eat breakfast when I wake up in the afternoon and then eat through the afternoon and night? Anyone with any advise please respond.

I'm confused. Can you say what hours you do things, including working out? It sounds like (and I admit it's really late for me right now) you're talking about working a 12 hour shift, eating at home, going to sleep, waking up and eating lunch, then eating dinner. Does that mean you don't eat in the 12 hours you're working? I can't imagine that...

sorry if I'm missing something big.

Usually it does not work that way. I eat when I get home and then when I get up in the afternoon, about 1:00. Then I workout about 2:30 or 3. I eat again after I get to work usually about 7pm. I don't usually eat again, but I do snack during the night sometimes. I take yogurt with me and eat that. Not all the time though. I know my eating habits are messed up. That is my question. Should I eat 6 small meals and have my first one when I wake up in the afternoon and then space the rest every three hours? I work from 6 pm to 6 am. Sorry if my post was confusing it was late for me and now it is early. I hope this clears it up though.:)

My situation is just about identical to yours. I work 12 hr night shifts from 7p-7a. I will have my largest meal before work and space out smaller meals and snacks about every 4 hrs. If I am off the next night I will nap until 12 noon, eat a light meal and then work out. I will eat when coming home in the morning before going to bed but I keep this meal very light. This has worked well for me for many years and I maintain a body fat% around 12-15%.
ShellyC

I HAD THE SAME ISSUE WORKING NIGHT SHIFT 12 HOURS. I JUST GAVE UP AND PRETTY MUCH ATE BEFOR WORK OR AT THE BEGGINING OF THE SHIFT THEN HEALTHY SNACKS LIKE PEANUT BUTTER,YOGURT,GRAPENUT, APPLES,WHICH REALLY KEPT ME OK WHILE EVERYONE ELSE WOULD PIG OUT. BUT WHEN I GET HOME I WOULD BE SCARED TO EAT.ONLY IF I WAS REALLY HUNGRY OR I KNEW I WOULD BE UP FOR A WHILE THAT I WOULD THEN EAT.GOOD LUCK .

Thank you very much for your replies. It is as I thought, I should eat as if the night time is my day. I do try not to eat when I get home, but I find it hard to sleep if I am very hungry, So I will usually eat something light.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.