What's up with the price of bedding?

nancy324

Cathlete
All I want is an extra deep pocket fitted sheet, a matching duvet cover and two pillow cases and the lowest price I can find is $200. x( What happened to the days when they made inexpensive bedding?? I'm not even particular about the fabric. Where do you buy your bedding?

DF and I just picked new bedding, and someone got it for us for Christmas, it was $270 for the set for a king bed. And that's not even with sheets. I agree, it's ridiculous!

I would say try JC Pennney or Target.

Kohls. Since I buy cal king sheets, I have to shop online. For a cal king set, (fitted sheet, flat sheet, extra deep pockets) 2 king pillow cases) 280 thread count, I paid $39.99 and I'm sure I had a 15% off coupon so I think it came out to $34. Quality is very good.

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

Try Overstock. I got some 1000 tc sheet there for like $100. Wonderful. And they have held up really well and are softer now than when I got them. You can buy $50 sheets and bedding, but they feel icky on your skin. I'm kinda a bed snob.

Nan

I don't know if you're anywhere near a TJ Maxx, but they have very nice sheets and other bedding at equally nice prices! They're also a great resource for towels. Good luck!

Allison

jonahnah, I have noticed that the sheet sets have pretty good prices. But I use a duvet cover instead of a top sheet, so a set never works for me. For some reason, MOST extra deep pocket sheets come in sets. x(

Nan, I'd love to be a bed snob, but my DH has a skin condition that turns the sheets into rags pretty quickly. Unfortunately, I just wouldn't feel right buying anything luxurious. :(

Thanks, Allison, I'll check it out. Our TJ Maxx is near a Bed, Bath & Beyond, but I'll try to stay away from that. ;)

I buy mine at Ikea, I am kind of a bed snob and used to buy at Pottery Barn but with 5 dogs jumping on my bed every day, I had to get something cheaper and I also use duvet covers, so Ikea it is :)

I don't know if there is one close to you, I think there is one in Long Island, otherwise I think you could order it online as well.

Nancy:

run straight to your nearest TJ Maxx or Marshalls. They have bedding sets made of 200, 300 and 400 thread count and Egyptian cotton for Queen and King size for less that $50. I never pay more than this.

Clare

Clare, sets don't work for me. I have no use for the top sheet, and the sets don't come with a duvet cover.

Now I'm curious as to how many people use a top sheet and how many use a duvet cover. My comforter wasn't meant to be seen. It's just an off-white down comforter. It's always in a duvet cover, which gets washed as often as the fitted sheet does. I don't want one of those beautiful comforters that have to be washed regularly, because the machines in our building really aren't large enough to wash a queen size comforter, and, in any event, it's so much easier to wash a duvet than to wash a whole comforter. Am I the only one? Does everyone else use a top sheet? Just curious.

You can get inexpensive bedding from Walmart, Kmart, Target, etc.

I'm with the other bed snobs though. Inexpensive bedding material is so uncomfortable--usually rough & coated with formaldehyde. I'm willing to pay for top quality for that delightful feeling of slipping in to a soft, cozy bed. :)

Sheets and a duvet for under $200? Not gonna happen. Duvet covers, even cheap ones, cost - there is a lot of work involved in creating them. Sheet sets are the way to go if you want to save money, as most individually packaged pieces are the high-end sheets. I would suggest Overstock, as well, but you're going to find sets there, as well. It's just the way they're sold. Pottery Barn sells nice, not fancy, sheets individually, but they're still likely outside of your price range. You may be able to get a cheaper duvet cover there.

I swear by The Company Store.

http://www.thecompanystore.com

They have high end stuff, but even the stuff that's reasonably priced is very good quality. I have flannel sheets from them that I've had for at least 4 years. Granted, I only use them half the year, but they're still like new.

And, they have great sales.

anne

Nancy, I have a double-whammy; I need extra deep pocket in Cal King...very hard to find. I finally found what I was looking for at Macy's and on sale! I got 600 thread count sheets in the new Martha Stewart line. They are so soft and laundered beautifully. Most of her bedding is in separates, not sets and she has duvet covers. It's worth a look.

Sarah

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.