What weight weighted vest do you suggest???

steph_arena

Cathlete
Hi I am going to invest in a weighted vest and wanted to know what suggestions you might have? I have seen the Cathe one at 12-20 pounds but there is also an adjustable one for upto 45 poiunds:eek:???

Any ideas ladies of which would be a better investement based on experience?

Thanks in advance
steph

It depends on how you want to use it. I bought a 20 pound vest, for use in walking on trails. It's lighter weight, fits (relatively) neatly under a jacket, and works well for that.

However, when I began doing STS I was using it with dumbbells for squats. In that situation I quickly found that the extra 20 pounds was nowhere near enough. I went to the 40 pound vest. That was particularly helpful since my grip strength was much less than my leg strength, and having another 40 pounds added to what I could carry in my hands let me give my legs a better workout.

More than 40 is hard for me to put on/off quickly between sets so I haven't tried any of the vests that are heavier, and now I've gone to barbells, so the grip issue isn't as important.

BTW, I saw quite a bit of discussion about what percentage of extra weight was safe to put in a weighted vest used for walking, and you might want to take a look at that and draw your own conclusions. People can get pretty passionate about it :)

So far the 12-20 pounder has been serving me well. I can't even fathum a 45 pounder!!!! YIKES!!!!!:eek:

I agree with Nancy - I like my 12 to 20 pound weighted vest. I think if I tried to put on a 40 or 45 pound weighted vest, my knees would buckle! LOL

Thanks ladies...i went for the 12-20 pounder...the reason i was debating was because i figured if you got heavier you wouldn't have to use any weights with the legs workouts...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.