What size Foam Roller should I get?

Gobias

Cathlete
Hi All,

Ihave been instructed to buy a foam roller for some PT I am receiving for my bicep/tendon. I have never had one or used one and know nothing about them. Any recommendations on what size to buy? I see that the majority are 6" in diameter, but come in many lengths (18", 30", 36" seem to be the most popular).

I don't mind using this roller for other things - stretch, massage, whatever else, therefore I will get one in a size that is most useful and not just for my PT.

Also - any videos, books, DVDs, etc of recommendations of how to use one? I have vaguely heard to use them for stretch, but have no clue how.

Thanks!

Hi,

I have a 36" foam roller. I got the longer one because I wanted to use it on my legs. This length makes it possible for me to use it on both legs at the same time. I also got the longer one so that when I'm in the supine position with the roller in the middle of by back, it goes the entire length of my spine.

I did a YouTube search for foam roller exercises and I use those ideas. I am eager to see what other resources our fellow Cathletes use.

I hope that helps! :)

About 1 month ago I bought a 36inch. Hands-down one of the best fitness/health purchases I have ever made. I foam roll 2X/day and it has helped tremendously with DOMS, muscle recovery, general muscle aches/pains, and believe it or not my overall weight training performance has improved!

If you search youtube, you will find loads of free video's. Here is a simple, helpful beginner vid: Foam Rolling: HOW and WHY You Should Use a Foam Roller - YouTube
I subscribed to this guy! He has really great, informative vids :cool:

Good luck!

Natasha

*ETA*
Here is another great vid that focuses on the bicep/tendon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bte6rg995ZI
Also, in this vid, you will see him do a piriformis stretch that the first vid I posted DOES NOT include. I absolutely adore this stretch! OMG it hurts like hell, but it has really helped with my low back pain.

Last edited:
I have both an 18" and a 36" roller. I like to use the 18" when I do one leg at a time or smaller areas of my body. I also use a rolling pin for hammies and calves once in a while. I've been eyeing a more portable stick type roller for hiking but haven't decided whether it's something I really need right now....
I was told that the most important thing with rolling is to never roll over joints or injuries. I would love it if Cathe incorporated one into one of her workouts ;)!

Thank you both. I will get the 36" and since I LOVE stretching, I am sure I will use it.

Thank you for the videos, Natasha. The one guy is making me laugh - Omar?

Do you know of a chart/video/whatever that shows lots of choices for each body part? I will make it part of my routine as long as I have something structured that I can remember.

Boy, this would be a good Cathe video!

Please share more videos/info if you are able.

Another question - I am online about to order a 36" but there are tons of choices. What is the difference? I don't care about color but are there soft/hard ones or something? I can't believe there are that many choices.

Some have grooves, some are smooth, some say HIGH density, etc.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.