What kinds of protein bars to you all like?

Hey everyone,
I love eating portein bars everyday, but sometimes I feel like I wanna try new ones, but still good for muscle building and are fairly low in sugar, like under 10 or 8 grams. What kinds you all like? Thanks for your help:)

Take Care,
~Adri;-)
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

I'm not sure how much sugar they have, but the ONLY protein bars I like are Zone bars, specifically the cinamon bun and fudge graham flavors. I can't seem to find any other protein bars that I like. I eat Zone bars at least once or twice a day.

I don't eat protein bars anymore (too high in sugar, artificial ingredients), but I used to eat Cliff's Builders Bars once in a while.

I prefer whole-foods meal replacement type bars and raw bars, like Vega bars and Larabars).

I think mine has 1g of sugar or none at all. Anyhoo, it is Atkins Advantage..the chocolate granola bar. 17g of protein too. Best I have found so far. The others have too much sugar in it for me.

Charlotte~~

Charlotte,
I've tried the Peanut Butter granola one from Atkins Advantage, and that one was SOO good. It had no sugar and 17 or 18 protein. Too bad its more for low carb diets, but they are really healthy anyway no matter what kind of diet your own.

Thanks for your opinions everyone!

~Adri;-)
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

Lara Bars...great! Nothing but maybe three ingredients total...all natural...no added sugar or fat.

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

I've seen Cliff Bars everywhere, but never really looked at them. Are they a good protein bar for muscle, or something? I'll have to check em out.

Thanks,
~Adri;-)
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

What's more important -- high protein or low sugar?

I get ProMax bars by tha case because they're pretty cheap ($14/case) and they have 20 grams of protein per bar. I haven't checked the sugar on those -- I imagine it's pretty high because the bard are pretty yummy. :)

I also like Balance Bars -- especially peanut butter.

My favorite is GoLean Peanut Butter and Chocolate. Or should I say, WAS my favorite. Just looked at the sugar content and it's high, 30 grams.

Thanks alot Adri, now I can't eat them!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding! ;)

But I really shouldn't be eating them. Maybe I'll just finish what I have and then not buy them again....

Melissa

>I've seen Cliff Bars everywhere, but never really looked at
>them. Are they a good protein bar for muscle, or something?
>I'll have to check em out.
>
>Thanks,
>~Adri;-)
>|_|_|
>|_|_|
>|_|_|

Clif bars and Luna bars (made by clif) are more of an energy bar. I use them on bike long rides.:) They are my favorite.

Here's their link. http://www.clifbar.com/ Looks like they do have a "builders bar" but I've never seen one.

> Too bad its more for low carb diets, but they
>are really healthy anyway no matter what kind of diet your
>own.

I would question that, since one reason they don't have any carbs is because they use sweeteners like manitol that your body can't digest well.

My favorite are the South Beach Diet bars. There are a couple of types. ONe is a "breakfast bar", with 10g of protein and 6g sugar.

Then there are the meal replacement bars that have 19g protein, and only 1g sugar.

Both are quite yummy and make great snacks!

I don't believe it makes sense to eat "protein" bars. I've seen bars that have like 20 grams of protein and I really don't think they're good for you. I do eat snack bars, though, like Larabars, with normal amounts of protein (i.e. 4-8 grams). And when I'm feeling naughty I'll eat Odwalla bars and Kashi bars just because they taste good. I agree that low sugar is important, unless it comes from a natural source like the dates in Larabars.
-Nancy

I am with melicmn -

The South Beach are just a little bit of a snack. About 140 calories, 10 gms protein, 5 or 6 gms sugar and a little carb (don't remember the amount).

They taste almost like a flavored rice krispie bar to me. ;-)

Wow thanks everyone. I also like the South Beach ones once in while. Those are pretty good. My favorite, favorite bar is Nytro-Tech bar. Those are yummy. Only 2 sugars and 30 protein. Yum:p

Thanks for all your suggestions,
~Adri;-)
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

>I don't believe it makes sense to eat "protein" bars. I've
>seen bars that have like 20 grams of protein and I really
>don't think they're good for you.

I agree.

I think the protein that comes in whole foods is much healthier than the isolated stuff that comes in protein bars.

I think some people can get in the habit of consuming too much protein in the form of protein shakes, protein bars, etc., rather than real food.

Every once in a while isn't bad, but it shouldn't, IMO, be a daily habit.

I have a protein bar for breakfast and power shake. I was a skip breakfast and lunch person for years and realize I was VERY LACKING on protein.

I'm loving 1/3 cup whey powder and 1 cup skim milk and 1/2 a banana and another type of fruit (blueberries this week - cherries last)
YUM

I'm doing p90x (week 3) so need as much protein as I can get :)

I'll have to try the lara bars. I usually have odwalla protein. Yumm with my cup of coffee!

Robyn, that sounds like a great breakfast! Do you notice that it builds more muscle on you?

Kathryn, I know sometimes ppl think protein bars aren't the healthiest things for out bodies. I know the Nytro-Tech bars I love contain Creatine. But it does help build/maintain lean muscle and muscle mass.

Take Care,
~Adri~
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

Detour Bars are QUITE tasty. I don't consume protein bars myself anymore (generally I avoid things in wrappers if possible, the whole 'fake food' thing) but I get those for my hubby who is used to having Granola Bars in his lunch. This way he's getting some protein at least with his sugar!!!

Also I went on Atkins years back and was totally addicted to their Advantage chocolate peanut butter bars ~mmmmm if you put them in the microwave. But the sugar alcohols in them gave me major stomach pain. But perhaps that is because I'd sometimes go nutty and have several in a day......some people can control cravings like that but sugar or sugar alcohols, they are like a drug I tell you (for me that is) ~ I want more MORE MORE!!!

Wow.

:p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.