What kind of apples are best?

wendybdh

Cathlete
I am so tired of buying apples and getting home only to find out they are grainy textured, bitter or mushy. I love honey crisp apples but they are out of season and I need suggestions. I like them to be crunchy and sweet. Any ideas?

I know what you mean -- it seems tough to get a consistently good apple. I think I have the best luck with fujis, but sometimes they are lacking in flavor. I must care more about the crunch.....

Fuji and Gala are my go to when Honeycrisp aren't available. It's hard to find organic this time of year though. I try to get at least US apples which I seem to have better luck with.

Most apple varieties are good when they are fresh. I can't stand Red Delicious but enjoy them if they are just off the tree (and preferably slightly underripe). All apples are nasty after they've been in cold storage too long. My last batch of Pink Ladies had obviously spent a little too much time in the cooler - ick. This time of year, look for apples from the southern hemispere (New Zealand, etc) as they will be harvesting and their apples are fresher than US apples right now. In the fall, look for US or northern hemisphere apples. Right now I'm having my best luck with Braeburns or Fujis but in the fall I love Honey Crisp. Pink Ladies are usually excellent in late fall early winter but right now they seem to be a little styrofoamy. Juicy apples are also heavier for their size than apples that have dried out during storage.

Lisa

anything but Macintosh!

I 2nd that! And also like Lisa, I can't stand red delicious unless it's straight off the tree. I'm very picky about my apples...they have to be crisp and juicy and so far the only varieties that have never failed me are Fuji and Gala.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.