What is more cost effective? Repairing old tv or buying new?

Becky L

Cathlete
Our 5 year old, 52-inch tv conked out and now we're finding it nearly impossible to find anyone who will make a house call to come repair it. It looks like the service call from the one guy we found will be about $125 just to come to the house. And that's before we have a clue what it might cost to fix it.

I know new TV's aren't cheap, but if it's going to be more than half the cost of a new one, to repair an old one, I might have some thinking to do.

I'd love to have your input!

TIA,

Becky

What kind of tv is it? (plasma, LCD, DLP, tube?) The reason I ask is because it could be something really simple, like needing a new bulb for a DLP tv - that's a quick and cheap repair that you could do yourself. On the other hand, if your LCD suddenly doesn't work at all, that's likely a much more costly fix. Just depends...

Good question. I don't really know.

I know it's not a plasma. I'm pretty sure it's not LCD. It's a Panasonic Color Projection. ???

LOL, I'm not much help huh?

The sound is fine. But the picture has a red shadow to the left of everything... people, letters etc. It gives you a headache to look at for too long. And I know it's not the settings.

I don't know. Does that help at all? :)

Thank you!

Becky

It helps a bit - it's a projection tv, we know that much. And given the symptom of the red shadow, it sounds like "they" call a convergence problem. "They" being television experts. This just means all your colors aren't being projected in the same path to the screen. Does it look like this picture?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cledry/2784841543/

Convergence problems usually originate from the internal circuitry - and that would likely mean a complete replacement of the circuit board is necessary, unless you know someone who is good with repairing integrated circuits. But first, try seeing if there are options for Convergence settings in the picture menu of your tv. It's probably a longshot, but it doesn't hurt to try. After that, it is probably not worth the money to repair it - you'll be looking at several hundred bucks if you have a technician come out and fix it. For a 5-year-old tv, that's likely more than the tv is worth. (Ahhh the joys of depreciation!) Hope this helps!

I am definately no expert, but I did a bit of research when I bought our rear projection TV this summer... it was a great price ($1200 for a 61") but did read that the picture tube can go out every few years, but they are supposed to be less than $150 and there is a compartment that you open on the back side of the screen, twist out the bulb and replace with a new one...

try to go to the MFG website and see if you can find a manual (or if you still have the one that came with it) and check out the troubleshooting listing in the back of the manual... that should give you some ideas anyway of what it might be... also, have you tried Sears for a service call? I think their service call fee is less than the $125 (it was $80 for my dryer a few months ago) you were quoted and you can schedule it online :)

best of luck to you... TV's are not cheap, but I would absolutely DIE without mine!

It helps a bit - it's a projection tv, we know that much. And given the symptom of the red shadow, it sounds like "they" call a convergence problem. "They" being television experts. This just means all your colors aren't being projected in the same path to the screen. Does it look like this picture?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cledry/2784841543/

Convergence problems usually originate from the internal circuitry - and that would likely mean a complete replacement of the circuit board is necessary, unless you know someone who is good with repairing integrated circuits. But first, try seeing if there are options for Convergence settings in the picture menu of your tv. It's probably a longshot, but it doesn't hurt to try. After that, it is probably not worth the money to repair it - you'll be looking at several hundred bucks if you have a technician come out and fix it. For a 5-year-old tv, that's likely more than the tv is worth. (Ahhh the joys of depreciation!) Hope this helps!

Engineer Nerd!!!!:p:p;)

Yes, but I didn't understand a bit of it :eek: Maybe I should have a drink and read it again :eek:

So glad I am not the only one who was starring at Evily's explanations, with eyes wide open and having a loud "Huh" escape :D

You maybe an engineer nerd, Evily but you are the greatest, I am so impressed.

Our 60" Sony projection was showing a yellow/green shadow. My DH and I thought our eyes were going bad:D
Turns out, it was the optic block that went bad. Apparently, common in this particular Sony tv. Thankfully, we purchased an extended warranty. The part was $700, plus labor:eek:
In our experience, parts are expensive on projection TV's. We had the lamp on ours replaced 6 months ago($250 part), also covered under warranty. Our extended warranty has paid for itself over and over.
Can you get an estimate before you decide?

Thank you all for your responses. Emily you are wicked smart! And the link you provided is EXACTLY what my TV is doing.

I think I'll make one more call this morning to Sears repair and see if they can give me a better price for a service call.

Otherwise, I guess I better start shopping for a new TV.

Thanks again all!

Becky

*beams proudly* It's so nice to have someone so smart as one's BFF ;)

As I like to say... "Evily knows (except, of course, when she doesn't)."

:p

OMG, you guys are so sweet!!! I think. :p I s'pose being a nerdy, geeky engineer is a good thing? ;)

Becky, let us know what the Sears guy says if he comes out to look at your tv.

And Catherine, it definitely helps to have a drink before reading my explanation. :D

Have you tried to adjust the lenes? I know we were having a red hue during a movie one time and we adjusted the lenses and it made it better. We have a 57" Sony rear projection tv. Maybe one of the bulbs is burnt out?

Also my husband took the back off the tv after about three years of owning it and you would not believe the amount of dust that was in there and all over the lenses. Once we dusted everything the picture was a lot clearer.

We spent a lot of money for our, large a$$ take up so much room, tv over 5 years ago and the prices of the new LCD tvs have dropped in price so much it makes me sick because the tvs are half the price and a lot nicer looking then the big rear projection tvs that seem to be anceint technology now.

Good Luck.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.