what do you think of this sewing machine

darine

Cathlete
I have no clue how to sew. i just started knitting and i want to learn how to sew but i am not in a rush. I was thinking to wait for christmas and buy a sewing machine and a book if i see a special.

but i saw this one
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...rk+Easy+Sew+32+Stitch.jsp#tab_page_reviews_li

I am wondering, is it a good deal? I just don't want to not buy it and then when I start to want to buy can't find any good deals.

I am not in a rush but if it's a good deal, I will buy

remember I am a beginner. I am sure it's limited for an advance person. but i want to be able to make something with it. like a dress or a shirt. would I?

thx

I'll be interested to hear what experienced seamstresses have to say.

I have 2 sewing machines that I use for quilting. I like the Janome brand, but it has been awhile since I've been machine shopping, so I'm not sure if they have something in that price range.

I really don't think this is a good idea for a beginner. It will probably be a frustrating machine to operate because of all the glitches. Try a reliable lower-priced machine by Kenmore. I have owned a Pfaff and now a Bernina and love both of them. But they are expensive machines. If you want to make a decent buttonhole, you at least need a good zigzag (see the one review reporting problems here). Buttonholes on my Bernina are a total breeze. I am a very experienced seamstress.

Good luck!

I am also a very experienced seamstress and I have to say I wouldn't have a problem with it. The very first machine I ever bought was much like this and I sewed on it for 10 years. I even made my wedding dress on it with no problems. I have also owned a several thousand dollar Pfaff and had terrible luck with it. I finally bought an inexpensive "school model" sewing machine and do all of my machine sewing on that. I make workout gear and renaissance costumes on it, which needless to say I use fabric that is difficult to work with. I have to say I have liked my basic sewing machines a lot.

I do agree with the above poster that if you make buttonholes you need a machine that is good at that function. I don't tend to make buttonholes so it is not a problem for me.

I know many people that do a lot of sewing on fairly basic machines and many people who love their high end machines. Given my experiences in the past my main concern when buying a new sewing machine is how easy is it to get serviced.

Just my $0.02

Shayne

I have a BA in clothing design. I love costume design and construction, . . with that said I would have to discourage you from buying a machine online. I would have to reccomend you going to a local sewing shop and try some out. Viking, Pfaff, and Benina are like the Mercedes Benz/BMW class of sewing machines. You pay through the nose for them but when maintained they can last you a life time. It is sorta like buying a good quality mountain or road bike you want to talk to people who know what they are talking about. Online is convienent but if you have a problem with it, . .shipping is ghastly expensive. Most sewing machine shops have some sort of free service for a year agreement and as a beginner it will connect you with classes on how to use your machine. Good luck and happy sewing. I'm so glad to hear that there are others here who like to sew and knit. :)

I wouldn't recommend buying any sewing machine or serger that don't have classes that go along with them. I have sewn for years and the sewing classes for your machine are the best part of buying a new machine. You not only get lessons, but books made especially for your machine and what and how to do everything.

Good luck with your sewing. You'll have years of enjoyment if you keep on sewing!

I agree with the poster about trying a machine at a local store. Service after the sale is a big part of buying a sewing machine. Almost every brand has an entry level sewing machine for the beginner. I would try out a few of them before making a purchase. There is nothing that will make you abandon your sewing as quickly as a poor performing machine. Good luck with your decision and have fun sewing!

Thank you all

I just find a store not far from my house that se;;s sewing machine and with each purchase, they give free classes! I hope they are not overpriced because of these classes. I prefer paying less and learning myself through the net and books. But I will go check it out

thx ladies

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.