What do I do now?

KellyG

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I am doing your STS 3 month rotation, and I just finished Meso 2 disc 18. So I am right in the thick of it! I am loving EVERY minute of it! Unfortunately yesterday I twisted the tip of my middle finger (while running of all things - I was scratching an itch on my leg!) and tore the tendon. The tip of my finger is bent downward and I can straighten it myself with the help of my other hand, but not on its own. I had it x-rayed today and luckily nothing is broken, just torn. It is in a splint and will be for at least the next week. I'm not sure what to do! I don't want to stop STS after all my hard work! I can make a fist with that hand if the splint is off, which means I could probably grip a dumbell, but I haven't tried it yet. Would continuing with the program be detrimental do you think? I'm not in a lot of pain at all. I just have a crooked finger! Logically I know that with an injury you need rest, but the fitness fanatic in me wants to keep going if I can. What do you recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kelly:(

Not Cathe but I am an occupational therapist working with hand injuries. That is called a mallet finger . It will take 6 to 8 weeks to heal and only will heal if you are super consistent with splinting. If you take the splint off even to wash it must be supported in hyper extension. I find that they are very mismanaged by family drs. They always take off the splints before there is enough scar tissue. I always tell my patients to continue with normal activity with the splint on.

Pm me if you want more imfo

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.