What brand of green tea?

susanzabo

Cathlete
Hi

I have seen numerous posts refer to "high quality green tea." What brands are considered high quality?

Thanks!

I am not a fan of plain green tea. I do like to drink Stash Moroccan Mint Green Tea. I drink it almost every night as a little sweet snack. I'm not sure about these being "High Quality" but I love Cooks Illustrated and trust their ratings. The supermarket green teas they recommend are Celestial Seasonings Authentic Green Tea. Twinings Green Tea, Bigelow, and Lipton are recommended with reservations meanings they didn't like them but they weren't to bad either in some applications like custard. Tazo was harsh, tinny, soapy, and strong not recommended. But these are supermarket brands and maybe not considered "high quality". Hope this helps you.

Sarah

I prefer teas from Rishi Tea or Adagio Tea. I know that Rishi Tea has lots of organic teas. My opinion of "Quality Tea" is loose leaf tea rather than tea in tea bags. I think loose leaf tea has a better taste. I wouldn't classify supermarket tea (Lipton, Bigelow, etc) as high quality but that is just my opinion. I order all my tea online through Rishi or Adagio.

mom2kttj said:
I am not a fan of plain green tea. I do like to drink Stash Moroccan Mint Green Tea. I drink it almost every night as a little sweet snack. I'm not sure about these being "High Quality" but I love Cooks Illustrated and trust their ratings. The supermarket green teas they recommend are Celestial Seasonings Authentic Green Tea. Twinings Green Tea, Bigelow, and Lipton are recommended with reservations meanings they didn't like them but they weren't to bad either in some applications like custard. Tazo was harsh, tinny, soapy, and strong not recommended. But these are supermarket brands and maybe not considered "high quality". Hope this helps you.

Sarah

Sarah,

I am a Cook's Illustrated fan as well. I own almost all of their books (including the magazine annuals). I haven't crossed over to online access yet but I assume you have since you accessed this info pretty darn fast! I would love to compare note on recipes. I just made my first flop this weekend (pasta with butternut squash). Such a disappointment!

lioness said:
I prefer teas from Rishi Tea or Adagio Tea. I know that Rishi Tea has lots of organic teas. My opinion of "Quality Tea" is loose leaf tea rather than tea in tea bags. I think loose leaf tea has a better taste. I wouldn't classify supermarket tea (Lipton, Bigelow, etc) as high quality but that is just my opinion. I order all my tea online through Rishi or Adagio.

Oh my! I just went to the Rishi website. I had no idea there were so many choices.... I don't know where to start.

You hit the nail on the head. I do have a subscription for both the magazine and website for Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country. Now that I am writing it, it seems a bit silly but I don't get any other magazines and I get so happy when it comes in the mail.

I have seen that recipe for pasta with butternut squash. I guess I can cross that of my list of things that I wanted to try. Do you like butternut Squash?
Cooks Country has a really good Curried Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup that I love. I was never really that big of fan of Butternut Squash until I had this.

One of the top recipes for me is Pizza Margherita. Have you had tryed that? So easy, So good. I would love to compare notes with you. I would also like to find out if the high quality green tea is better. Maybe thats been the problem the whole time. I'm just not buying the good stuff. Yesterday I did buy some more, Stash Jasmine Blossom Green Tea. I will try it today and see. I keep trying to like it.

Sarah

i like www.uptontea.com. Their selection is pretty intimidating. I like the gunpowders, especially the special grade temple of heaven. I also like the Chun Mee "Precious eyebrows". Those are both pretty inexpensive, but still high quality. More expensive teas I enjoy are the dragon wells. If I really want to break the bank I'll get a bag of jasmine phoenix pearls (but you have to enjoy jasmine). I like upton's Moroccan green mint and occasionally dabble in some of the other China greens, but keep coming back to the gunpowders. They are more robust and that is something I enjoy. Anything described as "grassy" I tend to not like as well. Some of the Japanese senchas are nice, but usually more expensive and tend to the grassy end of the spectrum. It's all personal taste. Upton offers sample sizes so you can try before you buy a larger amount, but some of the greens are so inexpensive, you might as well get a full bag rather than the sample size.

All Upton's teas are loose so I would recommend also buying a mug infuser as that makes it dead easy to brew. Someone once described tea bags to me as the leavings brushed off the floor after the loose tea is processed. I switched to the less expensive but higher quality loose teas and never looked back. Greener, too, without all that packaging.

i like www.uptontea.com. Their selection is pretty intimidating. I like the gunpowders, especially the special grade temple of heaven. I also like the Chun Mee "Precious eyebrows". Those are both pretty inexpensive, but still high quality. More expensive teas I enjoy are the dragon wells. If I really want to break the bank I'll get a bag of jasmine phoenix pearls (but you have to enjoy jasmine). I like upton's Moroccan green mint and occasionally dabble in some of the other China greens, but keep coming back to the gunpowders. They are more robust and that is something I enjoy. Anything described as "grassy" I tend to not like as well. Some of the Japanese senchas are nice, but usually more expensive and tend to the grassy end of the spectrum. It's all personal taste. Upton offers sample sizes so you can try before you buy a larger amount, but some of the greens are so inexpensive, you might as well get a full bag rather than the sample size.

All Upton's teas are loose so I would recommend also buying a mug infuser as that makes it dead easy to brew. Someone once described tea bags to me as the leavings brushed off the floor after the loose tea is processed. I switched to the less expensive but higher quality loose teas and never looked back. Greener, too, without all that packaging.

Thanks Geomom. I don't understand half of what you are saying so I guess I have a lot to learn. I did buy some tea from Costco (in tea bags GASP) that seems a lot earthier than the other kinds I have been drinking so I assume it's a bit better. Earlier today I went to the Rishi website and ordered several different kinds to get a feel for it.

Thanks for taking the time to share this info with me. I am going to check Upton tea later this week! I drink a lot of tea. 4 cups of green tea per day, plus usually 2-3 herbal teas (Yogi brand, not sure what the feedback is on that) so I need a lot on hand.

Susan

You hit the nail on the head. I do have a subscription for both the magazine and website for Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country. Now that I am writing it, it seems a bit silly but I don't get any other magazines and I get so happy when it comes in the mail.

I have seen that recipe for pasta with butternut squash. I guess I can cross that of my list of things that I wanted to try. Do you like butternut Squash?
Cooks Country has a really good Curried Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup that I love. I was never really that big of fan of Butternut Squash until I had this.

One of the top recipes for me is Pizza Margherita. Have you had tryed that? So easy, So good. I would love to compare notes with you. I would also like to find out if the high quality green tea is better. Maybe thats been the problem the whole time. I'm just not buying the good stuff. Yesterday I did buy some more, Stash Jasmine Blossom Green Tea. I will try it today and see. I keep trying to like it.

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I LOVE butternut squash. Usually I can just bake it in the oven and eat it plain. I should have tasted the squash in the recipe before I added everything, but it seemed like the chicken broth completely overwhelmed the squash and it lost all of its sweetness (I even used C.I. recommended Swanson's organic broth). But perhaps my squash was subpar. I will probably make it again, going easy on the broth and adding browned butter and extra pasta water. Your soup recipe scares me, anything with the word Curry has me scared... I just recently ventured into the land of Thai green curry (another C.I. recipe) but that's a lot different than Indian Curry. What kind of curry is in your soup?

I haven't tried the Pizza Margherita yet, but I have made their thin crust pizza (from Jan/Feb 2011) about 10 times already, we love it. I also love their Spaghetti and Meatballs for a crowd (Nov/Dec 2010). The Bolognese sauce (I think from the Make Ahead book) was disappointing, not bad, but not great.

Does the online membership show reviews by users? That alone might be worth the purchase. I'd love to see what others said about this butternut squash pasta dish.

I would love to catch up more too. I feel like I have hijacked my own thread and turned green tea into recipes :) PM me if you want to chat that way, or send me your email address.

Susan

I switched from coffee to tea about 2 years ago. I can't drink the grocery store stuff now - it tastes like dirt! Not a huge fan of green but love black tea and white tea. Mighty Leaf tea is really good. I buy 2 100 tea bag boxes of Earle Grey in the fall to get through the winter! They have loose tea also, and there are several kinds I buy loose. The bags aren't bad though - they still contain the whole leaf and not the pulverized stuff the lower quality brand have.

I have always LOVED black tea, but have had a really, really hard time liking the taste of green tea, despite trying every brand and flavor I could find. I have finally found a way that I actually enjoy it.
I brew a cup and let it cool. Then I dilute it and drink it by the glass as iced (or room temperature) tea. I now enjoy drinking this throughout the day instead of water. It has just the slightest flavor, and I don't notice the bitterness and "grassiness" that bothers me when it is hot. I really like it iced in my water bottle during workouts.

I use loose tea at home and Lipton tea bags at work for the convenience. Lipton has the best flavors that I have found. I especially enjoy the orange/passion fruit/jasmine flavor.

I hope this helps someone.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.