What are your favorite Tofu Recipes?

neicebug

Cathlete
Help...I have a block of FIRM TOFU in the frig and I don't want to waste it. I am trying to get into eating more soy and tofu, but I don't really know "how" to use it and make it good for the whole family. any suggestions?

THANKS!
Denise

Here's one that my kids love.

I use extra-firm tofu and drain it and cube it. I spray a pan with butter flavored Pam, but you can use real butter if you want. After the pan is heated, I add the cubed tofu and 1 1/2 tsp. of honey, mix it and then cook it until golden brown.

Another way to use it is to just marinade and grill the tofu. My kids like to use Italian dressing and then broil the tofu.

Erica

A Japanese friend serves it this way, but I don't know how kid friendly it is. I think it's really good...

One block of firm tofu
Green onions chopped
Ginger minced
Soy Sauce

Take the tofu and cut about 1/4 inch lines into about 1 inch apart. Then criss cross it. Sprinkle ginger and green onions over top of tofu, then top with soy sauce. It's a great addition to a dish like vegetarian fried rice.

I ordered a teriyaki bowl with tofu from Pei Wei's the other day and thought that the tofu was kinda tough. I don't' usually order tofu so I am not sure if that is how it is normally. I was looking at the Chili-Glazed Tofu over Asparagus and Rice recipe and the tofu in the picture looks kinda tough too. Is this how it usually is cooked?
Sarah

I like to make scrambled tofu (sauté some red peppers, onions, whatever veggies you like in a bit of olive oil, or a combo of olive oil and cooking sherry or mirin--japanese cooking sake---crumble some tofu and add nutritional yeast, turmeric, other seasonings, then add to veggies and stir fry.

You can also make a frittata the same way, just mash the tofu mix down when you add it and don't stir, and put a cover on the pan while it cooks through.

You can also freez tofu, then when you thaw it crumble it up and add to things like chili. The freezing changes the texture, making it very chewwy.

Maybe not really what you're looking for, but it's also good for dessert (or a snack) by defrosting and mincing a handful of strawberries, stir in chocolate protein powder and then stir in the hard tofu. It makes a really yummy pudding.

My favorite way to have tofu is to cut extra firm into big cubes or rectangles and stand over the kitchen sink with the bottle of soy sauce to pour over it then eat it. Yum! My 23 year old son loves it like that, too.

I like to use it instead of ricotta in a meatless lasagna (ie: a spinach or vegetable one). Just mush the tofu and add your basil, etc., and spread it around as a layer. Very easy (especially if you use the no-boil kind of pasta) and yummy.

Oh! That last entry reminded me of another favorite tofu thing I eat.

I cut the tofu block into inch or so thick rectangles (so that it's like a very thick piece of toast). Then I put it in the microwave for a minute, take it out and then push out as much water as I can from it without making the tofu fall apart.

Then I put it on a piece of foil and make the foil so that it's like a little boat (so if any more liquid comes out, it won't go everywhere). Then I take a can of tuna and put the tuna on top of the tofu. I then sprinkle a little garlic powder (and if you have any herbs or even wheat germ, sprinkle those on)...and then crumble feta on top.

Put that in the oven for however many minutes it takes (I use a toaster oven, so I just watch it until it 'looks' ready :) ). It's really delicious!

Thank you ALL!!! I really appreciate all your YUMMY recipes! I am going to try something tonight! ;o)

BIG HUGS!
Denise

Hello, Kathryn!

What is "nutritional Yeast"?

How long can I leave tofu in the freezer...I mean, to store it there in case I get it on sale?

THANKS!
Denise

YUMMY! Pudding...never thought of that one either! I will definitely be eating that one up with 2 spoons!
Denise

Wow! Very unusual...you are innovative indeed! The tuna on top of the tofu... so nutrition! Great lunch time food for me!
THANKS!
Denise

>Hello, Kathryn!
>
>What is "nutritional Yeast"?
>
>How long can I leave tofu in the freezer...I mean, to store it
>there in case I get it on sale?

Nutritional yeast (sometimes also refered to as 'Brewer's yeast,"but they are actually two different things, the latter being a by-product of the brewing industry) is a yeast grown on molasses (then heated so it is not an active yeast), that usually has added B12, and is full of protein. It is yellow and comes in a power or flake form (powder is more useful). It is used as a nutritional supplement. Some people mix in into o.j. Others sprinkle it on popcorn. It can also be used to make mock 'cheeses' because of it's somewhat cheesy flavor. (The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook contains a lot of 'uncheese'recipes using nutritional yeast).

I find that adding a little bit of it to scrambled tofu or to garbanzo paté gives a bit of an eggy flavor (from what I recall yolks to taste like!)

You can fiind it in a health food store.

Oh hey, I forgot I wanted to tell you about freezing tofu - once you freeze that stuff, it takes on a whole new personality. It becomes sort of............well, defrosted tofu is good for making mock scrambled eggs and mock minced meat. But it's no longer the tofu with which you're familiar...not a bad thing, just a very different one.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.