What are your favorite foreign fims?

If you've seen a good, creepy American horror movie, chances are it's a remake of a foreign film. Check it out - the original is often much creepier.

Jilly I SO agree with you! I love the original Japanese versions of the butchered American remakes. I loved the movie "Reincarnation" by Takshi Shimizu. My DH couldn't even watch it because of the creepy doll. ;-)

Oh and El Orfanato is one of my all time favorite movies. I'm always raving about that one.

Speaking of foreign horror movies...

Please, go see the Swedish movie "Let The Right One In," before the U.S. remake comes out (I hear it's already in production).

Oh - and this isnt' a horror movie, but has anybody see "Rabbit Proof Fence"? I'm pretty sure that was the title. Another very good film.

Okay, back to scary movies...

"Odishon" - holy crap!!! That is one of the creepiest movies I have ever, ever seen!!!

Or "High Tension"!!!! Oh my goodness, I watched that on a Saturday, middle of the day, curtains open and all - and I had nightmares for two days!!

Yes! Like the original Hong Kong (I think) version of "The Eye".

Or that creepy Korean movie "A Tale of Two Sisters." I heard it was made into an Amercian movie, but I can't be sure.

If anyone's seen "The Vanishing" (with Keifer Sutherland and Sandra Bullock), the original Dutch film is way scarier, in my opinion.

"Le Retour de Martin Guerre" (the original French film the mediocre "Sommersby" was based on). I've seen this one at least 5 times.
"Les Enfants du paradis"
"Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain" ("Amélie" in English)
"Un dîner de cons"
"Le Placard"
The filmed version of the stage play "Notre-Dame de Paris"
"Camille Claudel"
"Cyrano de Bergerac"
"La Chèvre" (remade as a much less funny American version with one the Saturday Night Live cast members whose name I can't remember)
"A la folie...pas du tout"
"La Femme Nikita" (the French movie preceded the American TV show)
"La Cage aux Folles" (another French original remade in an American version)

"Kwai Dan" (Japanese Ghost stories, the best of which is the episode "Hochi the Earless")

"Strictly Ballroom"

"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"'
"Wing Chun" (Michelle Yeoh kicking booty as a tough martial arts woman)

Kind of a kinky Dutch thriller called "The Fourth Man" (I think)

That's all I can think of off-hand

Last edited:
If anyone's seen "The Vanishing" (with Keifer Sutherland and Sandra Bullock), the original Dutch film is way scarier, in my opinion.

I've seen both, and I agree.
Changing it to fit American sensibilities (I won't give away too much) made it a much less affecting film, IMO.

Some of the best movies I will only watch once because they have had such an emotional impact on me...if that makes sense.
I know exactly what you mean. I could never watch "Gorillas in the Mist" again: I was in convulsive tears during that one!

What a great thread - here are a few more:

Chinese
Any Zhang Yimou film - love his stuff
Lust, Caution, which came out last year
Infernal Affairs - the film The Departed was based on. Original is much better, I love Tony Leung (he's also in Lust, Caution)

French
La vie rêvée des anges (Dream life of angels) - French film I saw years ago which had a huge impact on me
The Page Turner (La tourneuse des pages) - psychological thrillerish

Spanish/S.American
Any Almodóvar film - particularly Live Flesh (Carne mortal, I think) which is superb
Cronos - early Guillermo del Toro film
Diarios de Motocicleta - film about Che Guevara's early life

Danish
Festen - family get together which all goes wrong
Breaking the Waves - one of those films you can only watch once (it's in English by Danish director Lars von Trier - he's a love/hate kind of director!)

That's all I can think of for now.

And I agree, The Vanishing (Dutch version) is one of the scariest films I've ever seen!

Have you ever seen La Grande Bouffe? I keep meaning to get it out as it's supposed to be a classic.

Fabulous thread, I fell in love with foreign films in college. I'm going to read through later and get some ideas...here are some of my favorites:

The Red Violin
Life is Beautiful (La vita e bella)
Jean de Florette and Manon of the Spring
Camille Claudel
Chocolat
Like Water for Chocolate
Cinema Paradiso

Why has no one mentioned Shaun of the Dead? Am I the only one who likes outlandish British zombie films?

anne

Anne! Shaun of the Dead is ace! I love Simon Pegg. Have you seen Hot Fuzz? Not quite as good but it's the same team and it is pretty funny.

Any takers for Shane Meadows films? A Room for Romeo Brass, Dead Man's Shoes (particularly good that one!).

Yes, Hot Fuzz and Run, Fat Boy, Run! I also love Simon Pegg. I watched Hot to Lose Friends and Alienate People the other night. Pretty good, but not up to his usual standard, I thought.

I liked Trainspotting, too. And how about Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels? I just saw that recently.

But probably my favorite foreign film is Pan's Labyrinth. Disturbing in some ways, but so moving and beautiful.

anne

I guess I will post some of my favorites from teaching:

Ingmar Bergman: Fanny and Alexander, Persona, Smiles of a Summer Night, Autumn Sonata

Akira Kurosawa: Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Ikiru, Ran, Dersu Uzalu

Federico Fellini: 81/2, the White Sheik, I Vitelloni, Amarcord

Francois Truffaut: Day for Night, The 400 Blows, The Last Metro, Jules et Jim, Shoot the Piano Player

Michelangelo Antonioni: L'Avventura, Blow-up, The Passenger

Ermanno Olmi: the Fiances, Il Posto, The Tree of Wooden Clogs

Bernardo Bertolucci: The Conformist, The Spider's Stratagem, The Last Emperor, Last Tango in Paris

Carne-Prevert: Children of Paradise

Robert Bresson: A Man Escaped, Mouchette

Vittorio De Sica: Garden of the Finzi-Continis, Bicycle Thieves, Umberto D.

Jean Renoir: Rules of the Game

Jacques Rivette: Celine and Julie Go Boating, La Belle Noiseuse

Werner Herzog: Aguirre, the Wrath of God, Stroszek, Grizzly Man, Land of Silence and Darkness

I'll stop there. Love film. By the way, Danny Boyle (dir. of Slumdog Millionaire) is the director of Trainspotting. I couldn't understand anything in that Scottish accent in the film.

Cinema Paradiso
Shutter (the Thai version)
A Tale of Two Sisters
Ju On
Cure
Memories of Murder
Pulse (the original foreign one titled "Kairo")
Seven Beauties - Italian
Crying Game
Host

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.