What are you giving up for Lent? (if anything)

red_mct

Cathlete
I saw some discussion of what folks are giving up for Lent in the <-- thread (sorry, ladies, I never seem to be able to get through all of the pages on that thread ;( ).

I'm mulling over what to give up this year and I'd like it to be something somewhat difficult that will also promote my health, obviously. Ergo, I'm looking for some ideas as to what other people are thinking about giving up.

NOTE: I seem to recall that last year we had a rather heated conversation on a similar thread. So let me say, if you don't practice any religion and/or think the whole concept of Lent is silly, that's fine, but please do NOT hijack this thread to tell us that. Feel free to start another one, though. }( }(

Feedback, ladies. Are you going for sugar or chocolate or processed food, or what?

Marie

I'm not Catholic and I'm choosing to give up potatoes for Lent. Since I am a person who is positively addicted to french fries, this is going to be a challenge.

I also toyed with the idea of giving up ice cream. But then I came to my senses. While I may not give it up completely, I may do a Lent restriction on ice cream, like just having a small portion 1X per week.

Oh boy. I'm giving up my almost-daily hot chocolate (which will save me not only calories, but $$$$ too) and.... are you ready?????

COOKIES!

:eek:

Pray for me and all those living around me.

I haven't decided yet. In past years we've given up meat which worked surprisingly well. Some other years I've given up peanut butter (that was hard!!) and snacking after supper (lost about 10 lbs in 40 days!).

That makes tomorrow Mardis Gras a.k.a Fat Tuesday, Shrove Tuesday, Pancake Tuesday call it what you will but my Kids love it. It's one of two times a year that I will buy them bacon. That and Christmas. Nice last indulgence until the Easter Basket pig out mid April:7

Take Care
Laurie:)

Shelley - I'll pray for you and those around you! LOL

I'm using this time to really kick start my diet. I've been plateaued for 7 months, and it's time to get real. I'm giving up all meat and all alcohol (which is going to be the tougher of the two because I LOVE a glass of wine with dinner - I can live without meat).

I'm going to give up sugar. That's hard for me to stick with so will serve the purpose very well of triggering introspection and repentance.

Marie,

Hi! In the past I've given up the usual, chocolate, chips, pop...but the MOST difficult thing I've given up was red wine. :| I'll never do that again and my family is thankful! It's my vice, the little luxury that calms me after a stressful day. I don't drink it everyday but when I need it, I need it.

Our homily this week was about lent and our priest suggested thinking beyond the obvious. He said not only can we give things up we should also consider adding something like a behavior modification. We could decide to add meditation, family prayer time or even a healthy lifestyle change. It really got me thinking because if I decide to give up chocolate for 6 weeks it hurts but it's temporary. If I decide for example to add daily meditation/prayer after 6 weeks it will become a positive lifestyle change that I may continue even after lent.

I am so thankful for those weekly readings and homilies that bring the message home.

Peace,
physfitgal

I was raised in an ethnic Italian Catholic home where the observnce of Lent was taken very seriously. As kids our mom decided what we would give up and that was usually candy. Of course, we were not allowed to eat meat on Wednesdays or Fridays, a practice my mom maintained year round throughout her life. Actually, we often did without meat several days a week but it was mandated that we would not eat it on Wednesdays or Fridays during Lent. What was interesting though, was that a Lenten menu was developed over the years that we came to love as much as anything. We actually looked forward to Lent because we knew we would have foods that we didn't normally get any other time of year.

All this to say that mom is gone now and I've converted to nondenominational Christianity, so I no longer find it necessary to observe Lent. My prayers go out to all of you who are making the sacrifice.

Michele:)

One year I gave up soda...my daily Sprite. After that, I could never drink it again! It was like drinking pure sugar. I couldn't gag it down!

We are going to give up TV. I have said that they may watch one special show per week (to allow for Grey's Anatomy for me!!). This is really more for the family, so I will still have to give some more thought as to what I will do for me during Lent...
Jenn

You know, one year I gave up coffee. It was the single hardest thing I have ever done, particularly since it is my only real vice. (I gave up alcohol years ago.) I don't think I'm going to do that again.

So I'm still thinking about this. I have been having snacking issues lately, so I'm thinking maybe no junk food, period. (Will I die without a weekly dose of popcorn?) I also like the idea of making the behavioral modification. There's so much stuff I always want to do with the kids and we never seem to have time. Yet we spend too much time in front of the TV, so.... hmmm.

Anyway, interesting responses so far!

Marie

PS: Michele, what were some of the things on your Lenten menu? Just curious.

>"PS: Michele, what were some of the things on your Lenten
>menu? Just curious."
>
>Me too!

Eggs, beans, cheese, potatoes, and pasta figured prominently into our Lenten diet, especially since my parents had 4 kids and little money. Here's a few things I'll bet most of you have never heard of.

Our favorite thing was when mom poached eggs in tomato sauce and served them over pasta. She served it the way you would spaghetti and meatballs with a little grated romano cheese on top. I know that sounds strange but I'm telling you, it was delicious and we loved it. She would just crack the eggs straight into the pot of simmering sauce then fish them out with a slotted spoon. We thought it was the most amazing thing!

Another favorite was pasta with walnuts. You just toast walnuts and bread crumbs in a skillet with olive oil then toss it with the pasta (usually spaghetti or linguine) then add a little of the pasta water, salt, and pepper. This is one of my favoite pasta dishes to this day.

She made an awesome mac and cheese using all Italian cheeses that was to die for.

At least one day a week she would fry potatoes and onions with eggs.

Pasta fagiole was something we had quite often as well.

Of course, we had a lot of fish dishes too, but these are the things that were truly unique to our Lenten menu that I'm sure most of you have never heard of. Not exactly clean, but I loved this stuff! Now I'm starving and I miss my mommy.

Michele

:)

Yum!!! Walnuts and bread crumbs on pasta......yummy!! My background is Portuguese-Irish Catholic and we always gave up sweets(my grandparents still do it to this day!!)Past years I have given up bagels(which was hard 'cause I managed a bagel shop). I am not giving up coffee just because I am working at Starbucks this year....but then again, maybe that is not such a bad idea....I'll just go with tea through Lent. Since my nutritionist visits I have been eating pretty clean, so I don't think I have too much to give up there. Okay, coffee and espresso are out!! Ooooh tomorrow is gonna be a heavy drinking day......;-)

Donna

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.