What aerobic shoe do you wear?

Georgia

Cathlete
I'm looking to buy a pair of aerobic shoes and just wondering what are the popular brands. I have a pair of running shoes, and I wear them just for running. Nothing else. And a pair of New Balance cross trainers. I'm not impress with my cross trainers. When I do aerobic in them, my arches hurt and got a bluster on my big toe after doing MIC the other day.

Hey Georgia
I swear by Ryka. Right now I have Cirrus, but I heard recently that they no longer make them. :-( :-( Previously I had Ryka Re-Evolution and they are very similar to Cirrus. It's the only shoe I will buy. I had a pair of Ryka Stylus and did not care for them. Check out Ryka.com. Hope this helps. Amy Jo

Hi Georgia! :)

I use a separate shoe for each activity. I have running shoes for running, aerobic shoes for aerobics, etc. I will wear my crosstrainers for walking and weight lifting. I would definitely wear an aerobic shoe when you do aerobics. They are designed differently--more flexible in the mid-foot, lateral support for the ankles, etc. A crosstrainer is designed for overall stability to function at different activities and does not provide the flexibility that you need for aerobics. I tried my crosstrainers for aerobics ONCE--stopped about 10 minutes into the workout to change my shoes because they did not feel right. As for shoe brand, that is individual. What works well on one person's foot can cause misery to someone else. Try on a few different brands and if it doesn't feel comfortable in the store, don't buy it. Don't buy a shoe to "break it in".

Georgia:

sneak into your local newsagents --or whatever bookstore sells mags-- and browse the latest issue of Health magazine. They have an article dedicated exactly to knowing how to find a good fitting shoe. Unfortunately the article is biased towards running (!), but there are some general pointers thatare useful.

Clare

I agree with Amy Jo. Ryka is the absolute best in aerobic shoes. I also think I read on videofitness where they are having a buy one/get one half price or free. I can't remember exactly. I have tried several different kinds of aerobic/crosstrainer shoes and the only ones that do not "hurt" my feet after alot of high impact are the Ryka.

HTH

Kim

Ryka!

I just took advantage of the Lady Foot Locker buy one get one 1/2 price.(Specially tagged shoes, but there were tons of them.) I was wearing Re-evolutions but they have been discontinued, so I ended up with Stylus this time. I also bought Stability running shoes, although I only walk. They gave me a 1/2 price break on a second pair of Spenco inserts too! So my feet should be happy now! Rykas do run small so make sure you try both shoes on & take some time to make sure they fit.

RE: Ryka!

I'm another believer in Ryka. I have two pair Re-evolution,that I alternate for my aerobics and I have a Ryka's running shoe (can't think of the name) that I use when I go treadmilling.

Every foot is different, but I've tried all the different brands and Ryka is the brand that fits My foot. LOL

Wanda....who can now post on her computer...yippee!!!

hi georgia
i wear new balance cross trainer,
that is all i could find in my size
i wear a 5 or 51/2 they are very hard to find
i hate to order because i cannot try them on.
but they have been really good i do high impact
areobics 5 times a week.
paula

Hi Paula - if you don't mind me asking, what 'model' of New Balance do you wear? So many people find that the support is great - when I went to look at the shoes, I found there are so many different styles of New Balance. Which would you recommend for high impact aerobics? Thanks

hi susan-lynn
i wear the new i beleive they are the cross trainers
326, i will look tomorrow and tel you for sure,
they stay in my locker at the ymca.
paula

Saucony, Grid Contact.

I had to return my Rykas.....not good for me. I've always liked Sauconys, so I got a pair for aerobics...they're much better for me!!

Hollie

RE: Saucony, Grid Contact.

Are Saucony Grid Contact aerobic shoes, or are they crosstrainers that you are using for aerobics? If they are crosstrainers, are they cushioned like aerobics shoes?

Ryka aerobic shoes seem to fit too high on my ankles, but regular crosstrainers don't have enough cushioning. I've been using Ryka Stability running shoes, and they are OK, but getting old. I'd like some low rise aerobic shoes with good cushioning!

Thanks,
Sandi M

RE: Saucony, Grid Contact.

Hi Sandi. Well, when I called Road Runner Sports to return my Rykas, I made it clear I was looking for an AEROBIC shoe to replace the Rykas. I mentioned that I love Saucony running shoes, so she suggested the Grid Contacts. I was quite surprised when I looked in the catalogue they send with your order that the Grids are listed as Crosstrainers. But I thought, what the heck, I'll give it a try. Well, they seem to be great! They feel much better than the Rykas. I don't know what was going on with the Rykas, but they made the ball of my foot feel like it was folding together on itself. OUCH!! The Grids don't do that. I work out on two pieces of carpeting over concrete, so until I can get that spongy flooring from Home Depot, I will always have some discomfort. All in all, these seem good for me. And they sit much, much lower on the ankle!

:)

Hollie

I just bought a pair of Ryka Re-evolution's tonight - my feet feel great in them! I've owned Ryka's before and have found them the best cushioning and support for aerobic activities.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.