Well SHOOT! STS moves you cannot do???

L Sass

Cathlete
Ok - I am at 3 moves in STS that I cannot do. Two of them I am ok with, as it will take more practice, but the third has me angry because I SHOULD be able to do it. Here are mine - and I'm hoping misery loves company.

1. The extended leg levitation holds in the yoga abs. I couldn't do the cross legged ones when Core Max came out, but with practice and strength I got there. Hoping to master these as well.

2. The 1-legged pike on the stability ball on SB abs. The 2-legged version is fine, and I will master 1-legged version w/ practice.

3. But what REALLY made me angry was the bonus leg work in disc 9. Fine on the leg lifts, fine on majority of the plate work ... UNTIL I hit that DA&%($#@! sliding T move. Kept rewinding and trying over and over and over. I cannot freakin do this move! ARG!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Ok - please tell me what you cannot do so I don't feel totally inept.

Lori,

Yes, those darn T slides with the discs did me in too. I did fine with the plates during the straight outs and then out to the side. By the time I got to the T slide I must say that my calves and glutes were on FIRE!!! That is the problem I was having with them. Maybe if I tried to do that one while I was fresh without doing all of the disc before hand I would be fine with it. Wishful thinking, right?

I could never do the levitational holds before. If I couldn't do the levitational holds with crossed legs, how would I be able to do it with straight legs?

As for the pikes with one leg, well, I can do pikes in perfect form with two legs. I can do those to up to about 40 of them. The one legged pikes, well, just let me say, I think I would fall over on the ball and end up hurting myself. I will continue working on those though.

Do not feel alone on these! I am with you on these!

Cheryl

Thank you for this thread as I was just having a pity party over pull-ups (or my lack thereof!)

-Staggered pushups on toes (nope, none)

-Stradle pushups on toes (can do one, maybe)

-Elmo-style pushups (can do, about, three)

-Chin ups

-Pull ups

-One-legged pikes on the ball

STS Exercises I Can't Do!

I started my STS program w/Meso 2. I am totally laughing @ myself b/c I can NOT do a pull up/chin up to save my life!! I keep trying though!! And OMG.... one-legged sit & stands!!! :eek: I can't do even ONE rep!!! (And I thought I was in such good shape.... ha!) I now have some new goals for myself. ;)

Lemme think...

1 legged pikes. NOT.GONNA.HAPPEN I watched in awe and wonderment

Some of those paper plate ab moves - think I will eventually get those

Haven't made it to disc 9 for those T things you are speaking of - I will figure those out tomorrow.

Toe pushups - I can only do a few, the rest are on my knees, but I am completeing the sets for the most part

The crocodile in yoga abs - can be up, I can be down, but the holding in between - nope. On my nose - flat. BAM!!

And of course the levitation holds. I can get my butt up and my thighs up, but I can't get my feet/ankles up. I'll work on the extended legs after I get the crossed legged ones.

I don't have a pull up bar, so I've been doing the tubing option w/ a heavy band. I can't do a pullup/chin up anyhow, some day.

Why is my list longer than every one else???

On the upside, I did figure out the lying side tricep pushups. They were giving me probs on the left side, but I figured them out this week, and got 12/16 on the left and 16/16 on the right. Yay!

Nan

Oh don't feel bad, one legged pikes are far far off in my future and I'm not sure if I'll EVER be able to do a crossed legged levitation. I have a long torso and short limbs. I can't even place my hands all the way down on the floor with my elbows locked.

I had trouble with the wall squats with the ball, but I was using a 65cm ball and I'm only 5'2", so we'll see how I do next time with my new 55cm ball. Hopefully the smaller ball with make the one legged pikes a little easier too.

Last edited:
Misery definetly loves company and this is great thread.

1. I am having trouble with all of the paper plate moves. The paper plate, my puzzle mats and my body weight don't make a good combo. The plates do not slide and I feel like I am getting nothing out of these moves.

2. I also cannot lower body all of the way down to pick the weights up and set them down. Although this is probably more mental than physical.

3. I stink at push-ups, can only do them from my knees with my hands on the step, on the floor they hurt my wrists. And definetly can't do the Elmo!

4. Sit and stands are another one I can't do.

5. Plus in on one of the plyo leg discs she does a 1 legged mountain climber. Did ok on the first leg by the time I got to the second leg it wasn't happening. :eek:

Jenn

Came across the one legged sit and stands this morning. Had to raise the step height (it's my chair). Still couldn't do it. Lost the weights and that was better. Holy moly.

I can do a few chin-ups since doing P90X last year but no pull-ups. I keep working on it.

Yippee! I'm not alone! Just finished week 2 of meso 1. My legs are shaking.

Can't do (YET)....

1. Levitation holds - I was like, and excuse my Frech.... WTF! :eek:

2. 1-leg sit and stands - I cheated and kept the the non-working heel on the floor, but made sure to put as much weight on the working leg as possible. I was sweating, so it counts.

3. Straddle pushups - I think I actually did 1 1/2. I declared victory.

4. Pushups in general - I'm getting better, but it's still a sad performance.

5. Pull ups, chin ups... any ups!

6. Paper plate exercises with weights - I barely did 4 and almost passed out.

Boy... I'm looking forward to the other discs. Thanks for the encouragement, ladies. HA! :p

There's still hope, darn it! :D

I just finished Week 1 of Meso 1 and cannot do:

Staggered pushups on toes
Stradle pushups on toes
Bootcamp style pushups at all
and on wall squats, I cannot go low enough to pick my weights off the floor but this is my first try - will work on that.

I can only do about 5 pushups on my toes period.

1. I am having trouble with all of the paper plate moves. The paper plate, my puzzle mats and my body weight don't make a good combo. The plates do not slide and I feel like I am getting nothing out of these moves.

I have the puzzle mats also. To do the paper plate moves, I bring out a rolled up piece of short fiber carpet that's about 4 ft X 2 ft (it's actually a marble game my kids never use). It works great. It's worth it to get the carpet. The plate exercises are my favorite of STS and the ones I feel the most. See if you can get a remnant from a carpet store. Home Depot sells these kids rugs that are for riding matchbox cars around on. That would work.

I also have a rubber gym floor so I bring out a carpet remnant to use for the gliding leg moves.
I can't do levitation holds of any kind.
I can do some push ups maybe 10 at the most and then to the knees.
Pull ups even with an assisted band are not happening. I can push out 3 maybe 4 with the band.
I can't do the wall squats on the ball where you pick up the weights.
The one leg sit and stands were really funny, can I use two legs on those?
This is just the beginning of the list. LOL!

I know I am not doing levitation holds from past experience. I have alot of trouble with the paper plate slides. I don't know if it is the berber carpet, the furniture slides I used or just me. I never liked them in other workouts either. I have also tried using paper plates. No go. They just feel awkward and uncomfortable. I am still debating what to do for chinups/pullups as I have nothing to use to do them. I am considering getting the tubing for over the door. Great thread--thank you for starting it.

I have the puzzle mats also. To do the paper plate moves, I bring out a rolled up piece of short fiber carpet that's about 4 ft X 2 ft (it's actually a marble game my kids never use). It works great. It's worth it to get the carpet. The plate exercises are my favorite of STS and the ones I feel the most. See if you can get a remnant from a carpet store. Home Depot sells these kids rugs that are for riding matchbox cars around on. That would work.

I have puzzle mats, and have been using a frisbee instead of a plate. It slides perfectly!

Amy

Amy,thank you! I don't have STS, but I've been reading about it because I'm curious. I've been sitting here wondering, why doesn't anybody use a frisbee? I'm glad to hear it works!

anne

I just finished my first week of Meso 1 and so far I've noticed my form needs to improve on the lunges w/ the paper plates. The pullups I do with my Iron Woody assisted pullup bands that I wrap around my pullup bar. The only thing I can't and don't see myself doing is the double leg wall squats that require you to lower down to pick up the weights. I think it puts too much strain on the knees and throws off my balance, so I'll just keep the weights in my hands.

I started my STS program w/Meso 2. I am totally laughing @ myself b/c I can NOT do a pull up/chin up to save my life!! I keep trying though!! And OMG.... one-legged sit & stands!!! :eek: I can't do even ONE rep!!! (And I thought I was in such good shape.... ha!) I now have some new goals for myself. ;)

I'm so glad it's not just me. I was laughing my a off at my attempts at pull ups!:eek:. and levitations LOL. Can't do the one legged pikes YET. and the boot camp push ups had to do reg. ones

I can't do the sit n stands (even w/o weight)

I still struggle with push ups. I can't do any advanced ones and stay on my knees for the rest. I wonder if I will ever be able to do full push ups.....
Melanie

Thank you for the great tip. I will go to Home Depot after work tomorrow. I will also look for the furniture movers some of the ladies have commented on that work well.

Pike help

I have been doing Cathe tapes for several years and I still, for the life of me, cannot even do a two-legged pike on the stability ball. There was a time when I couldn't even do one pushup - I can now do multiple pushups. There was a time when I couldn't even do one pullup - I can do one pullup! I can even do those dreaded wall squats with weights. So, what is wrong with me that I cannot do the 2-legged pike? I want to be able to join you all in the one-legged pike some day. Any tips, helpful hints, techniques? I would appreciate the feedback guys! Thanks!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.