Weighted vests/weighted belts

cathe4me2

Cathlete
Hi Everyone,
I posted this in the STS forum. I really would like your opinions on why you like or dislike the vests or the belts. Thank you so much for your response.

Here goes with another weighted vest type question. I no longer have any room left for a squat rack in my room, so I am wondering which would be the best to get...a vest or a belt and why? I have been looking at the Ironwear vests for women. There is a green one that looks fairly comfortable as it is shorter in the toro...I'm Cathe's height. If you add the equivalent amount of weight (say 30#) to a belt, would that not put too much pressure on the hips?
I would love to know about your experience with either the belt or the vest so as to know which direction to go. With a neck/shoulder/biceps tendon injury, hoisting any weighted barbell over my head is out of the question for awhile. Even later, 45# is my tops.
Thanks for any info you have.

Wanda

Hi Wanda! I have no experience with EITHER but wanted to wave Hi!!!! Nice to "see" you here! I'm sorry to hear of your injury...drat! I would THINK the weighted vest would be a better option for the reason you stated about the belt and pressure on your hips. I saw a weighted vest at Walmart on Sunday and was sooo tempted but I am out of money right now...been spending waaay too much on things lately. Let me know what you decide.

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You DANCE!

Belts usually only go up to around 10# (I have some Ironwear ankle weights that attach together to make a belt, and that's their weight).

I think a vest distributes weight more evenly.

Another idea is a backpack with some weight in it. The shoulders straps and the belt fastened around the waist should distribute weight evenly as well.

The only downside of a vest is that they are sometime hard to get on when you use a heavy one, perhaps especially for someone with shoulder, neck problems. (You could try to figure out a way to hang your vest so that it's easier to put on).

Kathryn brings up a good point about getting the thing on - on another forum someone mentioned that they set it up on her couch, sit down to wriggle into it and get it all fastened, then you stand up (safely, bending at knees, etc.).

I used a weight vest for a long time, and found that the heavier the weight vest, the harder the weight pulled on my traps and other muscles between the middle delts and the neck. This became very uncomfortable if I wore it for any length of time, especially if I was doing over-the-neck barbell work. I have purchased a weight belt but have been too lazy recently to implement.

I don't know if there are any easy, compromise-free answers to the challenge-the-legs-without-a-squat-rack dilemma. If anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears!

A-Jock

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and ideas. I will probably go with a vest. There is a picture of one at Ironwear that has narrow shoulder straps as opposed to those looking like I'd be putting on a plate of armour. The later would make me fall over just putting it on. :D

>Hi Wanda! I have no experience with EITHER but wanted to wave
>Hi!!!! Nice to "see" you here! I'm sorry to hear of your
>injury...drat! I would THINK the weighted vest would be a
>better option for the reason you stated about the belt and
>pressure on your hips. I saw a weighted vest at Walmart on
>Sunday and was sooo tempted but I am out of money right
>now...been spending waaay too much on things lately. Let me
>know what you decide.
>
>http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709
>
>
>Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")
>http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img]
>If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You
>DANCE!

A big wave back at you. You have good reason to be spending money these days....CONGRATULATIONS on your new grandson. :) :) :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.