weighted bar instead of barbell

melly76

Cathlete
hi,
i was thinking if i could us a weighted bar instead of a barbell in high reps and LIC and wondred what weight i should go for.any help appreciated.

Melly, you'd just use the same weight or as close as you can get to it with the weighted bar...are you meaning like a Body Bar?

I use the 18 pound body bar instead of my barbell when I need that weight. I would love to buy a bunch of the body bars for this use, but it's not worth the expense.

Hi, I have 15-, 18-, and 24-pound body bars. I love having these three bars because anytime the DVD calls for these weights (or close to it), I use them. Then I keep my barbell loaded for heavier weights. I think it is well worth the money, IMO.

Melly:
If you have a body bar, say a 15# one, you can always add to the weight using soft ankle weights on each end. If you buy a number of these, you can up the poundage. I have two pair of 1# and two pair of 1 1/2# ankle weights to use with bodybars. This seems to work well -- and this approach is easier on my wooden floor. Also one can save $$$ instead of buying many bodybars.

Generally speaking bodybars can be used for high-rep, lower poundage work. But for heavier lifting one has to go to a regular barbell.
-- David

Thanks everyone for replying.just two more quick questions if i could.
in LIC what weight barbell does she use,
in high reps what weight barbell does she use.
thanks again,melly

I don't know. But an alert reader mentioned that there are workout cards published -- available somewhere -- which lists each excercize in Cathe's strength videos, along with the weights that she uses. If anyone knows how to access these cards, I would appreciate a post on this.

Don't forget that often, depending on the video, Cathe and her crew use different poundages. She often does this to stress that we should be using weights we can handle.
-- David

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.