Weight Watchers

Reese777

Cathlete
Okay Weight Watcher people,

I have questions.

First, how does this program work if you do the points? Is it a point for every 100 calories? And can anyone tell me what my daily points would be if I weigh about 165 and I'm 5'10 (and if necessary - my age is 39). I'm just trying to get a feel for what my daily caloric intake would be because if it's like - 1000 calories, I'm not interested in that. I am curious though because a gal at work did the program and she went from a 10/12 to a 2/4. I'm not looking for THAT much weight loss, but if this can help me lose the weight I'm trying to lose, and it's a healthy way of doing it, I'm interested.

If you do the points, they are calculated based on a food's calorie content, fat and fiber. On average, a point is around 60-100 calories, depending on the food. Once you get in the game, you learn about a lot of low point foods. For example, La Tortilla Factory whole wheat tortillas are only 1 point for the huge size, because they have 8g of fiber. You have to be careful not to fall into the trap of eating foods they are low in points but unhealthy. For instance, one time I ate an entire tub of those Miss Meringue cookies and it was 8 points so I skipped lunch - definitely not a healthy choice, on many levels.

We're the same size (and age!) and I think my daily points are 24, then you get 35 extra per week, AND you get a point for every 100 calories you burn.

With the Core plan, the majority of your foods are "clean" and you don't have to count points. You do, though, still get the 35 points a week and the activity points, which is good for the foods that are processed or simply not on the Core list. The list is: lean meats, fat free dairy, fruits and veggies, whole wheat pasta, potatoes, certain cereals, oatmeal, and healthy oils.

You can switch between plans a week at a time. Sometimes I like the Core plan if I don't want to feel restricted; I also like the Flex plan because you have more choices.

It's not a get-thin-quick plan, which is probably what gives it staying power. It's very manageable!

Another note is that for some people, the Core plan is more work because you are doing more cooking. There are no Weight Watchers frozen dinners, or processed foods on the Core list. It makes it trickier when you are eating out.

There is a website with a HUGE list of restaurants and the points value for many of the selections. If I'm going someplace new, sometimes I'll print out the list so I'll make better choices. The website is www.dwlz.com .

I was a little unclear when I said above that the Core plan is less restricting. I meant that you don't have to keep track of whether you ate a cup or a cup and a 1/4 of cereal, like with the Flex/points plan. However, the list of foods is definitely restricted.

HTH!

I really like Weight Watchers and felt the need to chime in. After my second baby, I just could not lose that last 20 pounds so I joined with my sister. I lost 20 pounds in about 4 months, and she lost 107 pounds in about a year! I had my third baby this past January, went back to WW, was back to pre-baby weight by July (needed to lose 20 punds again). I go to meetings once a month just to stay on track (so does my sister)--although I like the meeting leader, sometimes I do not stay for the meeting,I just weigh in. For me, that weigh-in is very motivational. I will literally not put something in my mouth during the week because I love the feeling of getting on the WW scale and finding out that I lost weight (or, in my case now, haven't gained anything).WW is everything you ever hear suggested in a weight loss program: keeping a journal (in this case, the points), having a buddy system (the meetings), losing weight slowly but steadily,exercising regularly,eating healthy, eating any food in moderation, not depriving yourself (you can have a cookie--just deduct it from your points! eventually you think that it is not worth it because you want to save your points for other things!)If you are serious about it and keep track of the points properly, there is no way that you cannot lose weight. I remember a woman at work asking how I lost weight and when I told her WW,she rolled her eyes,and said she didn't need a group to lose weight--guess what, she is still carrying around the same 30 pounds that she was carrying a year ago when she made that statement! Good Luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.