Weight training and the Half-marathon...

dmd

Cathlete
Hi there!

I am running a half-marathon in October and need the best overall leg workout to use while I train. Could you share what weight workout you used while training for your runs?

Thanks~Deb

You'll get as many different responses for this as people who have run half marathons. These are my guidelines and what worked for me - you'll have to figure out what works for you.

I kept my weight training fairly consistant through the first month and a half of training. I did my usual leg workouts, once a week, and usually planned a rest day or alternative cardio day to follow. For the second half of my training, I dropped weight training all together and replaced it with power yoga to keep me flexible and stretched. As the distances increased, I found I needed more recovery time and that adding weights seemed to be counter productive.

This is based on a 3 month schedule. And as always - YMMV (Your Mileage My Vary).

I actually asked Cathe about this at the road trip - for half and full marathon training - she didn't get too specific, but said that many use full body workouts 2x - 3x per week - e.g., muscle endurance, muscle max, power hour, etc. early to mid- stage training and then taper towards race day. She recommended endurance workouts if you are doing splits - sts meso 1 in particular.
Hope that helps.

Like Christine, I kept my weight training the same for the first part of my training (I'm currently training for a Sept 13th half). I did 1 heavy lower body weight workout, and did interval, sprint, and hill runs as an added leg workout. But once my mileage got higher (long run 9 miles), I had to back off on the heavy leg workouts. I hit a wall HARD the week of my 9 mile long run, so now I'm doing 1 or 2 endurance workouts (Leaner Legs, Meso 2 of STS) and I kept at least 2 days between that weight workout and my long run.

Good luck, and I hope that helps a little bit.

Gayle

I am in agreement with the other posters. Endurance rather than strength based lower body workouts and not too heavy on the top either. You want muscle strength and endurance that supports your running, not that becomes counter-productive to it or workouts that force you to take days off from running to recover from them. I agree with Leaner Legs, Power Hour, and routines made up exclusively from body-weight exercises only. Pay special attention to strengthening the hips and core as these will help keep you injury free as you increase your mileage. This month's Runnersworld shows a page of exercises to help strengthen hip stabilizers. Think also about supine bridge work with stability ball, hip hikes and the sort of leg work shown in Cathe's GS legs floorwork. These are the sorts of exercises taught in PT to heal running injuries and therefore are the same exercises to do to avoid such injuries. This month's Runnersworld mag also has an interesting article on running wisdom: i.e., the pieces of wisdom we have always been told to adhere to in order to run successfully, race well and stay injury free--do they still apply? Interesting reading. Basically, as with all areas of fitness, you gotta find the combinations of rest/mileage/strength or resistance training/nutrition/cross training that works for you.

Clare

Wow! Thank you all for your very thoughtful responses. I really appreciate and value your input. I own LEANER LEGS , Power Hour, Muscle Max, and Muscle Endurance. I will have to dust them off :). As for full body workouts, would these be better off done in the first half of my training ( because of the cardio in them)? I also have all of the circuit workouts by cathe. Just trying to put together a sound program.

Clare, I just bought the new Runner's mag and will look into the hip exercises you mentioned.

Andtkrtoo, I practice Bikram Hot yoga and this seems to be a good compliment to my running, always has. I do find as I get older I need to stretch MORE! Do you recommend a Power Yoga tape? It would be fun to add some variety to my yoga practice.

Gayle, when you say Meso 2, do you mean the whole thing in it's entirety?

Reenapp, is there a full body workout you like best?

All so helpful ...thanks guys!!

Deb

Deb - oh yeah - Eoin Finn's Yoga for Happiness. He has a hip opening segment that is so good for runners (and he's pretty yummy - although he does make some interesting comments).

Good luck!! I've done two halfs, numerous 10milers and 10k's. Now I'm into cycling. Go figure. :p But it's all fun and sooo nice to have a goal.

Deb, I meant that I use the Leg workouts in Meso 2 as endurance workouts. Sorry that wasn't clear before.

GOOD LUCK!

Gayle

I'd try STS Plyo legs once a week in addition to other suggestions. Working the fast-twitch muscle fibers with plyos could help your running speed.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.