Weider PowerSwitch 100 lb. Weight Set

TRSTACIE

Cathlete
Does any one own this set of dumbbells? Sears is running a good deal of them right now....very tempting. If you do own them, how long have you had them and do you like them?

Hi!

I am searching for adjustable dumbbells myself and am curious if you ever bought these or another set and what your thoughts were on them.

There is a set of powerblocks that go in 2.5# increments up for sale through my local Craigslist I was considering. I ruled out Bowflex selectechs d/t reviews and size as well as the Power paks. Then I stumbled onto these and Sears has them on sale again with the stand.

I know they say they go in 5# increments, but what if you set them staggered, meaning like 15# on one end and 10# on the other end - wouldn't that give 12.5#. Just wondering. If that was possible, then this may be the better deal.

Any advice you have to give would be greately appreciated! I need to make a decision this week with the sales and I am in my 2nd week of STS and realizing Im really gonna need heavier weights!

Thanks and I hope you got some for yourself!

Gina

I have a set of power blocks and they go in 5lb increments. It isn't possible for them to go in 2.5lb increments because of they way they work. I absolutely love them. They are so easy to use, do not take up a lot of room and seem to have longevity. We've had them for 3 years and they only thing that has happened is one of the stickers that tells you which color equals a specific weight came off, but that was due to one of our triplets ripping it off :) Can't say enough good things about the powerblocks. I have no experience with the powerswitch tho. Sorry :(

I have 2 of the 25 weider power switches and the set of 2 that go up to 12.5 each.

Purchased from sears. Yes I can stagger them as you described. My only complaint is that I sometimes stumble with switching them quickly during a workout.

with my bb, I don't need more than 25's too often. I'd probably get a weighted vest to up my wt if I need it when I (finally) do STS but I don't know. I think there is a big price jump to get the 100 with the stand. (A friend has this but I don't think he's ever started his workout program so i think its just a weird room decoration for him). It looks nice, tho if you need the wt and overall my experience with the weider set has been good.

I have 2 of the 25 weider power switches and the set of 2 that go up to 12.5 each.

Purchased from sears. Yes I can stagger them as you described. My only complaint is that I sometimes stumble with switching them quickly during a workout.

with my bb, I don't need more than 25's too often. I'd probably get a weighted vest to up my wt if I need it when I (finally) do STS but I don't know. I think there is a big price jump to get the 100 with the stand. (A friend has this but I don't think he's ever started his workout program so i think its just a weird room decoration for him). It looks nice, tho if you need the wt and overall my experience with the weider set has been good.

Thanks for the info! I figured you could stagger them. I actually went to Sears to see the 50# set and it is just way too big for me like the Selectechs were. I have to watch my shoulder and the bigger dimension puts undue stress on it for some reason.

However, you have me questioning if I need that much weight or not. It is more for my legs that I need the higher poundage and probably my back in the future. I have free weights and wrist weights that I can gerry rig what I need in up to almost 50#, but it is time consuming and bulky and my dumbbell bar hurts my hands with that much weight even with a glove on. So, that's where I'm at. My purchase is more for convenience, comfort and less stuff!

Shannon - I agree. The powerblocks are the way to go for me. They are the most compact ones out there and they have the least complaints on reviews for them not working.

Thanks everyone for all of your help!! Much appreciated. :)

Update

I still use my Versa Bell 25lbs I picked up from Target quite a bit. They go from 5lbs to 25lbs but it's not a quick change. I wound up going with an adjustable plate weight set for higher weights because I was worried I would spend several hundred dollars on another set of non-plate adjustable weights only to outgrow them in a couple of months. I think I will even outgrown the new set in a couple of month but since they are plates, all I have to do is buy higher plate weights. By the way, it was an ex-military friend of mine who lifts 6 days a week that advised me to go with the plate weights. I think he was right about it even though it does take some planning before the workout since it takes a bit to change out the plate weights. HTH!

I still use my Versa Bell 25lbs I picked up from Target quite a bit. They go from 5lbs to 25lbs but it's not a quick change. I wound up going with an adjustable plate weight set for higher weights because I was worried I would spend several hundred dollars on another set of non-plate adjustable weights only to outgrow them in a couple of months. I think I will even outgrown the new set in a couple of month but since they are plates, all I have to do is buy higher plate weights. By the way, it was an ex-military friend of mine who lifts 6 days a week that advised me to go with the plate weights. I think he was right about it even though it does take some planning before the workout since it takes a bit to change out the plate weights. HTH!

Thanks for getting back to me. I was doing the plate weights with the dumbbell bars, but I think it is so time consuming and I pause Cathe too long to switch out. Also, my bars hurt my hands when I go heavy and that's WITH lifting gloves on!

So, I caved and bought the adjustable Powerblock set. I got a great deal on a used nice set that I couldn't pass up and I love that they go in 2.5# all the way up to 50#. So I'm very happy and cannot wait to use them tomorrow! I'm not sure if I can sleep tonight cuz I'm so excited :) Us Catheletes are crazy like that aren't we ;)

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.