week off from exercise

Ranae

This is really tough taking a week off--but I'm using the time to really work on my weaker link, which is my diet! I am trying to switch to a vegetarian lifestyle--are there any vegetarians out there that have good recipe's and any tips? Thanks--Lisa

Beans, beans, beans!!!!!

You really don't need any special recipes, just open up a can of navy, black, lima or other beans and dump them into a veggie stew recipe. Beans, as "educated crowd" members know, are good sources of protein and fiber.

I have found that using lots of beans helps me control my weight more easily. What a great plus!!!!
happy.gif

Other than that, do some net surfing for veggie recipes. My best source for new recipes is the net.
happy.gif

YES!!

I LOVE Black Beans. Sometimes, I just open a can & go at it! They go well with FatFree Cottage cheese for a great protein & FatFree lunch.. I also use them in my chili in place of kidney beans and my family likes it so much better. ENJOY!!
happy.gif

Hi Lisa!

It's DebbieH again. I just went over to ivillage.com and if you click on "Message Boards", then click on "Featured Boards" and then go down to "Food", it has a Vegetarian Cooking section. I didn't have time to read any of it but just thought I'd pass this on to you

Hi honeybunch and Debbie H.

Thanks for the info--I am on my second day of eating this way. I know that there are plenty of different foods to try--I would like to learn how to use polenta and eggplant etc. So far I have made a 15 bean meatless chili that was very good. Tonight I plan on making a tofu-vegetable stirfry with brown rice. I am trying to cut out all animal sources--so no cheese, milk, eggs or butter. I have been using soy milk on my cereal and to cook in recipes that need milk. So far I can not find a tasty substitute for the half and half I like in my coffee--I'm sure I'll find it. The reason for the change is I read a couple of books on cancer prevention and they both stated one could prevent 40% of all cancers through diet and exercise and that the diet would be eating mainly a vegetarian diet and cutting out most alcohol use. Also, some of the compelling information to abstain from meat literally turned my stomach!!!!! I don't think that I'll look at a hamburger in the same way again. Well off I go to that web site Debbie mentioned-Thanks again--Ranae

Super easy bean stuff

Hi Ranae!

I stumbled across this recently and have been lovin' it for its simplicity. All you do is heat a can of fat-free refried beans together with a jar of picante or salsa; then you either use as a dip or spread it on a torilla. It's good plain or top with diced onions, tomato, reduced fat or fat-free sour cream, lettuce, whatever! Super easy and healthy!

Bev K.

vegetarian ideas

I've been a semi-vegetarian for nearly 25 years. My current favorite cookbook is "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" by Deborah Madison. It's a "Joy of Cooking" for all sorts of foods except meat. It introduces all sorts of grains, legumes, & veggies so you don't fall into the pasta diet trap.

It does not discuss protein combining, & anyone on a vegetarian diet needs to understand how to combine plant proteins to get a complete protein. I suspect that Dr. Weil's new book covers that because he is a long-time advocate of a vegetarian diet. Also some of the recipe's in Madison's book can be complex, but there are plenty of simple preps. She uses a lot of fat & loves butter. I just adjust the recipes.

Vegan

I just realized you were going vegan (no dairy or egg). It's a more challenging path. Madison's book does give vegan alternatives for many dishes. But you need a good nutritional reference because some essential nutrients are not found in plant foods.

You're courageous. I sort of inched my way into a vegetarian diet & never considered going vegan.

possible half and half sub...

Hi Ranae,

Check your local health food store (and maybe even "normal" grocery) and see if they carry Silk creamer. That might be the closest thing to half and half. It's by the people who make Silk soymilk, which is my favorite of the soymilks, though opinion varies widely on that (I know others who hate it passionately). I tried the creamer once, and there was a slight curdling problem, but it is an option. Also, if you don't mind mostly synthetic, but vegan, Coffee Rich (and Farm Rich) are fake creamers that fit the criteria. I think Mocha Mix does, too.

Also, check out www.dixiediner.com for some pretty good substitute products (just had the Meat Not! chops for dinner tonight and they weren't bad) I'm not veggie yet, but am trying to get closer. I do avoid dairy like the plague, though (makes my hay fever unbearable and gives me lovely raccoon eyes), so if you are in search of any substitutes, let me know. And give up now on finding an edible totally dairy free cheese, with the exception of Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese (though you have to be careful; apparently one has salmon in it, as they are marketing more to the Kosher crowd than the vegetarian one, and some of there products also have egg). The other "cheeses" taste and feel like crayon, imho. Blech. Vegan Vittles has some recipes to fake your own, though, with the fake cheddar crock cheez and the fake cottage cheese seeming fairly much like I remember the real thing being, though it's been a few years.

Ack. Sorry this got so long.

Karen

Thanks for the ideas/options

I love this forum--everyone is so helpful. I just got back from dinner with a friend. I wondered how I would do in a restaurant--well, I ordered the vegie-enchiladas with black beans, rice and pico de gallo---yum! Not bad! I cooked dinner for my family before I left and they enjoyed the tofu vegetable stirfry--so far so good. I will have to give the silk soy creamer a try. I was also thinking that the almond milk might taste good in coffee. Have any of you had polenta before? I've seen it tin the grocery store but I have never tried it. Let me know---Thanks, Ranae

almond milk

I've tried it in coffee and it's pretty good. And Blue Diamond makes a fortified one now (the only one I could find before was Pacific, I think, and it had no calcium to speak of). I may be imagining it, though, but when I try almond milk straight, it seems vaguely salty. But it is great for smoothies.

And yeah, Mexican is usually a good choice in restaurants by just leaving off cheese and sour cream. Middle Eastern (and some Greek) is also another good bet (skip the feta and the desserts), and sometimes Italian, but you have to quiz the waitstaff a lot to be sure there isn't hidden cheese or broth in the sauce. And sadly, you even have to do this with so-called vegetarian soups (I got lots of practice making sure things were safe for a Hindu friend - she usually wouldn't even think to ask). But I think in general restaurants are becoming more in tune with what vegetarian / vegan means.

Karen

vegetarian

Ranae -- Congrats on trying the veg way of life! I became a vegetarian 15 years ago & am now trying to go vegan. Amazingly, this has been much more difficult for me than going vegetarian was!

I highly recommend Lorna Sass cookbooks. I got the Complete Vegetarian Kitchen & Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure when I bought my pressure cooker about 6 weeks ago. These items have changed the way I eat! Every recipe I've tried has been great. I love beans, but hate salt, so now I make my own beans. The Under Pressure book is specifically for pressure cooking, but the other one is not - it's a great all round veg cookbook.

If you're interested in veg issues in general, I highly recommend John Robbins (of the Baskin Robbins family) book "Diet for a New America." It's a very comprehensive look at how our dietary choices impact the world around us. The environmental section was especially enlightening. With the recent observation of Earth Day, I can't think of a better time to read this book.

There are also some great websites out there with lots of good info. As far as discussion forums, however, I have yet to find a veg discussion forum that is as tolerant & supportive as our forums at Cathe's & VF! We are truely a unique group, aren't we!

Good luck with your meatless endeavors!

polenta

I make it occasionally & top with many of the sauces I would use on pasta (tomato, mushroom, whatever vegies are in season). Serving w/ a bean salad provides a complete protein. Personally, I like firm rather than soft polenta which is more cereal like. After it sets, I grill it or saute to brown it a little. Use the microwave when time is of the essence. Most grocers carry premade polenta in the pasta section. It looks like a big yellow sausage. My spouse (who's forgotten how to cook) can prepare a meal with it.

Something of interest from my nutrition professors. Nutritionists used to feel you had to combine your proteins at one meal. Now they're saying that one can "complete" the protein within 24 hours. It makes meal planning much simpler.

meat substitutes

Hi! I have been a vegetarian for about 8 years. It took the rest of my family (hubby and 3 boys) 3 years to"catch up". I helped them make the switch by incorporating "fake meat" foods like veggie burgers, "chicken" patties and the like by Morningstar Farm. They are in the frozen foods section. In addition, dixie foods is a mail order company with lots and lots of substitutes. I think their address is www.dixiediner.com? it may be www.dixiefoods.com. Not sure which but it is worth a look. These products require a lot of hit and miss taste trials but they are quite convenient and kids definetly will eat them.
Good luck!

oops

I forgot to add these products are fairly high in protein if that is a concern.

one week down, a lifetime to go!

Hi everyone! Well I just finished the first week of vegetarian eating and it has not been hard at all! There is one exception, however, I was gone the past four days chaperoning high school girls at an all-state music festival, so I had to eat out. This is not a problem if one is a lacto-ovo, but for an aspiring vegan it is nearly impossible! Thanks for the info on polenta, dixie diner and environmental book--I will have to read this. It's interesting how going vegetarian started out as a personal health move--but now the more I read it is so much more than that ie. conservation, animal welfare, ethical living. Anyway--I start back to exercise this week so me and Cathe have a date to keep---you guys take care and keep the advise coming--I need it-------------Ranae

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.